Ravnica: City of Guilds

E

evan d

No, I just need a few mountains, and the art is the best I've liked since Ice age. Which I also think ahd great lands. I love making people in a multi choas wonder why my first play was a snow-coverland.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
evan d said:
No, I just need a few mountains, and the art is the best I've liked since Ice age. Which I also think ahd great lands. I love making people in a multi choas wonder why my first play was a snow-coverland.
If you need any let me know and I'll trade you for...... well, other basic land..... well , no I have tons of them..... shoot, I'll send you some if you need them.
PM, me after the pre-release.......

Killer Joe

I don't NEED land, I WANT land and not that crappy old DRAFT stuff either. :p

ooooooooo, just feel those clean, crisp edges and whiff the aroma of the card art as you *snap* the card from the top of your library. <fa-fa-fa- sluuuuurp> they go nicely with beans, wine and slice of liver...... :rolleyes:

N

Notepad

They already did this storyline, funny enough. It was a novel called Arena, their first one. The entire book took place in this giant city (though not world sized) and one man got the four guilds (since one was gone...his old guild) to wipe each other out as he became a planeswalker.

Is that the way storylines are going now? Weatherlight-through-Apoc (Weatherlight Saga): Karn ends up a planeswalker. Odyssey/Onslaught:Jeska ends up a planeswalker. Mirrodin: Glissa and Slobad apparently end up with at least the minor ability to hop to whatever plane they want. Kamigawa: Michiko ends up a planeswalker with That Which was Taken (if I read it correctly) and though Toshi doesn't become a planeswalker fully, he is sent to Dominaria.

So, it things keep up, we'll see one character end up a planeswalker from this storyline, too. Oh, and since there's guilds they have to be led to fight each other.

This is going to sound a lot like Arena, again. (Except this time I bet no naked Benalish Heroes). Three books about the same thing, with no nude lesbians...bummer!

I'll still by the books, though.

Fingers crossed Garth One Eye comes back, haha! :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Notepad said:
Fingers crossed Garth One Eye comes back, haha! :D
If you're talking about the other novels by the guy who wrote Arena, Garth does come back, but he isn't quite as awesome as he was in Arena (and the sequels aren't as good as Arena either).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably possible... I don't think it'll be done "officially" though. You could always write or request fan-fiction :)

F

Force of Will Smith

Ravnica seems like wizard's answer to the crazy mirrodin and kamigawa blocks.. im not sure how we got back on earth... but i'm glad we are..

the names are cool again... and somewhat predictable.. which is better than
something like Ouijaka, Lesser of the Tall trees

i agree with an earlier post stating this was reminiscent of saga... i think this block is going to be much worse... its got elements and artwork of weatherlight in black.. recursion and unpredictable elements (the storm card, dredge and transmute) and some real power like saga..

at this rate, the next block will be a little less powerful but with about 8 hot cards, and then itll all be horribly broken on the last set like destiny.

ive glanced over the spoiler and theres already 2 or 3 infinites in plain view.
*crosses fingers that they don't restrict the transmute cards in t1*

N

Notepad

The storyline is actually pretty...different. Imagine if you will now, that the novel is actually a police/detective/crime book. Yeah, honestly. About a constable who's partner died years ago, now looking into the murder he starts finding things nobody should, inlucing a big conspiracy.

The conspiracy is that the Dimir (UB) guild is hiding, having the world believe there are only nine guilds rather than ten. They've planned on taking over the world while hiding in the shadows. Only stupid thing is, its been 10,000 years (yes, ten THOUSAND) since they unofficially signed the guildpact and they've apparently just not been real motivated to get any of that world conquering done. Where's Professor Moriarty when you need him!?!?!

Wow, cop unravels a big corruption going on. Kinda reminds me of Third Watch. I wonder if Camelot's equiavlent* gets blown up at the end of this one, too.

Snickering aside, the book seems good so far. Only read the first couple chapters. Only problem is, this thing is far too predictable...

*If you haven't seen the show, I recommend it.

F

Force of Will Smith

so they're crazy vampires AND slackers? ROCK!
i just like the deception behind it tooo!! boo scary!!

N

Notepad

Slacker vampires...sounds kind of like real life goths, eh? Bosko hasn't shown up, and there's no sight of any paramedics screwing up and killing old people at a crash site, so maybe I was wrong on the Third Watch comparison. Though the constable has a really dumb angel partner named Feather, so then again, maybe it is Third Watch: Fantasy Setting Edition.

Oh, and no Garth One Eye. Oversoul, are you sure about those sequels? I read a bunch of the ones after and no sign of him. The city was mentioned in one book, in passing, and his Benalish Hero wife did make a cameo appearance in one other book, but as far as I saw, no return of Garth One Eye.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I know I have at least one of the books with Garth lying around here somewhere.

*digs through a pile of junk*

Ah, here's one. "Shattered Chains" by Clayton Emery. It appears to be the sequel to "Whispering Woods," a novel I have never read. The main character is a man named "Gull." Garth's wife is a central character in the book, and becomes romantically involved with Gull. Garth himself only makes appearances toward the beginning and end of the book, and doesn't do anything particularly impressive (like turning his cheating wife and her boyfriend into slugs, pouring salt on them, and eating them--that would be cool).

I didn't really like the book overall. It was okay, but nowhere near as good as Arena.

N

Notepad

Wow, I read Shattered Chains and Whispering Woods, and the one that came after it (there was a trilogy post-Arena, though they were not by Arena's author and had very little to do with Arena). I don't remember Garth's wife being the central chartacter. I remember her being the lead general. And, Gull and his sister Greensleeves were the central characters of that whole trilogy. Then again, it was something around 10 years ago I read that. Maybe we're both screwing it up from our old fogey dust-for-brains memory?

Either way...um, the Ravnica book is definitely better than the Gull/Greensleeves trilogy.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Notepad said:
I don't remember Garth's wife being the central chartacter. I remember her being the lead general. And, Gull and his sister Greensleeves were the central characters of that whole trilogy.
I think I meant to say that Gull was the central character and that he was romantically involved with Garth's wife. She was probably the second most prominent character though (she kind of upstaged Greensleeves in this one, although I'm sure she played a bigger roll in the other books of the trilogy).

For the Ravnica book to be better than Shattered Chains would not be difficult, so I'm not sure how much that says for the Ravnica book.

Clayton Emery also wrote the trilogy about Jedit Ojanen, which I actually kind of liked (the trilogy, not the card).

N

Notepad

Never read any of those anthology-type books, nor the Legends background stuff. I always wanted to, and in fact, still wish they made anthologies and novels about random pieces of Magic "history."