Ravnica: City of Guilds

Killer Joe

Does anyone know THIS story line yet?

I know it's "Urban" oriented but does that mean that it'll have cars, pimps and whxxes? :confused: :D

Killer Joe

Maybe cars will be artifacts unless this is based off an ancient city in which case there ought to transportation vehicles of somekind,...chariots?

N

Notepad

The story is most likely not modern urban, but possibly Renassaince-era cityscape. Think the merchant-controlled ages of Europe where arts and sciences truly began to flourish.

No cars. Just lots of pretty European big towns. Oh, and think Eastern European, as Ravnica is a word from Croatia, I think.

N

Nightstalkers

From the artwork, card previews, and other junk I've seen... it looks kinda ominous. I keep thinking "Urza's Saga?" and other such blasphemy whenever I think of Ravnica...

Insects and guild mages oh my!

Killer Joe

Right. That's more likely what it is NP. I have the screen saver from Wiz Co. website and it's cool but not MOD-URBAN.

M

mythosx

Anyone have any ideas about the upcoming block?

Something about city of the guilds?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the blurb so far at the Ravinca page at WOTC:

Nothing ever changes in Ravnica. For countless millennia, cities have covered the entire plane. Eventually, they ran together into one vast megalopolis -- a patchwork of grand halls, decrepit slums, ancient ruins, and layer upon layer of stonework structures. Of the world's countless civic centers, one looms above all others: the City of Ravnica, a metropolis so vast that its name has become synonymous with the world itself. It is here -- amid mazes of streets and towering gothic spires -- that the guilds vie for power and control.

M

mythosx

dual spells, dual lands...ooh baby..its sooo on...apparently there are ten guilds, 4 in the main, 3 per each expansion adding up to 10 which is the same number as the combinations in a 5 color wheel.

N

Nightstalkers

Sure... look at what unholy horrors will be brought forth from the imagination that is Ravnica

N

Nightstalkers

Mooseman said:
Buy basic lands? Really? How many and how much? hehe.....
Rofl... XD

One big box and a bunch of supersized piccies?

—Habuki

Edit:

Does anyone get the feeling that this sounds a little like Dune?

—Nightstalkers

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't read or seen Dune lately, but no, since Dune conjures up images of desert.

I get more the impression of either Star Wars with Ravnica being the capital planet, or one of the planets in Isaac Asimov's Robot series (again, it's been a while, so I forget the name).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I get more the impression of either Star Wars with Ravnica being the capital planet, or one of the planets in Isaac Asimov's Robot series (again, it's been a while, so I forget the name).
I have to agree, on first look I thought this is Trantor (From Asimov's Foundation Series), just less tech.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ooo, yeah, I haven't read either the Robot or the Foundation series in a long while, so it's probably what you say.

N

Nightstalkers

Spiderman said:
Haven't read or seen Dune lately, but no, since Dune conjures up images of desert.
Well, dune is about a bunch of different houses which are the different factions of the universe, if you're not in them you're not even worth the effort. So basically, you have the different guilds/houses fighting one another for supremacy. While they can't exactly have open war in fear of the other guilds/houses seeing an opening to wipe them out while they're reoccupied, there is also the off chance that the emperor might tip his hand and get them to.. so it's basically like Ravnica in a sense.

Sunhome's artwork reminds me of the Emperor's kind of blocky/egyptian motif.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I agree with that part, but the setting of Ravnica being all city reminds me of Asimov's books, more so than the guilds (at least right now).