Ravager, Disciple and Lands Banned

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
HOUTS, I'm going to choose NOT to be rude since this is really between you and Oversoul, but Vintage is the "official" name of Type 1. Has been for a while.

Ferret

Staff member
I just thought of a great solution for Art Lands...amazed I didn't think of this before (someone else probably has): Titania's Song...all Arty Lands go squish and no new ones come out...

-Ferret

"...and, of course, Seeds of Innocence"

N

NorrYtt

Just some input from my Extended experience, Affinity is the best aggro deck. It's really powerful and resilient to spot removal. But the hosers are also very, very strong. Pulverize and Energy Flux are brutal against Affinity and Pernicious Deed is maindeck. Perish is brutal against monogreen aggro. Chill is brutal against monored (they have to splash Naturalize).

Other pros dismissed Affinity simply because the hosers are so powerful. Canali splashed Meddling Mage so he could potentially lock out these powerful hosers, as they are often predictable.

I don't think it's the best deck; I think Red Deck Wins is very consistant and packed full of good cards with the mana disruption and sideboarded Pyrostatic Pillars to stop combo decks. I think that U/w Desire is the best combo deck but the other combos are not 'bad' except for maybe a poor build of Life. The Rock is kinda bleh, it doesn't try to win, it just tries to not lose (except for the aggro versions) because it will eventually win the endgame barring a lock.

But Affinity is definitely there and it will run you over should you and your sideboard forget it exists.

O

orgg

Ferrett: They reprinted Titania's Song without the "Remove all abilities" portion of it and called it "March of the Machines."

It held Sarnia(a.k.a. Broooodstar) Affinity in check, but Ravager/Disciple kills a turn before they can even put March DOWN. That's why they banned so much stuff. Ravager with everything else might not've been a good thing... but so it goes.

G

Gizmo

HOUTS
Me > You - that seems very likely. Writing articles means nothing - I used to get paid to write articles until I realised that the fact I wrote articles was making me look bad amongst my peers. There's bigger dogs in this yard than you, HOUTS, and I'm one of them.

Check the top-8s - Affinity doesn't 'dominate' anything in Extended. You also shot your whole foot off by not even knowing what formats you are boasting of your knowledge about. You need to learn when to deactivate your mouth and switch the power to your ears. Let's look at some top-8s from the PTQs shall we - I'll pick three at random...

PTQ #1
Psychatog, Rock, Madness, Rock, RDW, Goblins, Rock, Aluren

PTQ #2
White Weenie, Scepter, RDW, White Weenie, Minds Desire, Affinity, Minds Desire

PTQ #3
Scepter Chant, Reaniminator, RDW, RDW, Rock, RDW, Life, Minds Desire

Wow, so that's 24 decks making PTQ top-8s... and ONE Affinity among them. Man, that deck is a powerhouse! Let's make extra sure though, let's do one more PTQ...

PTQ #4
Minds Desire, Psychatog, Reanimator, RDW, Aluren, Teen Titan, Whire Weenie, Intruder Alarm

Affinity is weak in extended, it's unable to cope with the cards that exist in the older expansions that devastate artifact players en-masse - my deck for example runs 11 maindeck cards that break the back of the Affinity deck, and I'm not even designing to face Affinity, they're just in the deck anyway.

And I've played against Meddling Mages. They make no difference whatsoever. Maybe if they drew three and played them all on the second turn he'd have a chance...

H

HOUTS

Gizmo said:
HOUTS
Me > You - that seems very likely. Writing articles means nothing - I used to get paid to write articles until I realised that the fact I wrote articles was making me look bad amongst my peers. There's bigger dogs in this yard than you, HOUTS, and I'm one of them.

Check the top-8s - Affinity doesn't 'dominate' anything in Extended. You also shot your whole foot off by not even knowing what formats you are boasting of your knowledge about. You need to learn when to deactivate your mouth and switch the power to your ears. Let's look at some top-8s from the PTQs shall we - I'll pick three at random...

PTQ #1
Psychatog, Rock, Madness, Rock, RDW, Goblins, Rock, Aluren

PTQ #2
White Weenie, Scepter, RDW, White Weenie, Minds Desire, Affinity, Minds Desire

PTQ #3
Scepter Chant, Reaniminator, RDW, RDW, Rock, RDW, Life, Minds Desire

Wow, so that's 24 decks making PTQ top-8s... and ONE Affinity among them. Man, that deck is a powerhouse! Let's make extra sure though, let's do one more PTQ...

PTQ #4
Minds Desire, Psychatog, Reanimator, RDW, Aluren, Teen Titan, Whire Weenie, Intruder Alarm

Affinity is weak in extended, it's unable to cope with the cards that exist in the older expansions that devastate artifact players en-masse - my deck for example runs 11 maindeck cards that break the back of the Affinity deck, and I'm not even designing to face Affinity, they're just in the deck anyway.

You being a bigger dog than me in Extended? LOL
And no, I didn't get the formats wrong, read again. So you let your "peers" color your rose glasses; couldn't be an individual? All I know is that I've been writing since DOJO, provided articles on current decks, and backed up my games with wins.

Oh, btw, you listed all the current Top 8's. What about the previous ones? Or how about some others that you chose not to list? Funny how you didn't.... Hmmmm.

x
HOUTS

G

Gizmo

I was writing for the Dojo too - it wasnt hard seeing as they let anybody write for them. The I wrote for two other sites on a pay-per-article basis. You've no leg to stand on, HOUTS, because your ego writes so many cheques your record can't cash. I'm fairly confident both my Pro Tour points and DCI points are going to be higher than yours, as are my lifetime cash winnings.

And Type-I doesnt exist anymore, so much for knowing your formats.

And the key word in the ptqs i chose is RANDOM. But to salve your wounded pride, let's choose another 4 AT RANDOM since obviously I chose an unrepresentative selection first time around...

PTQ #5
Aluren, Goblins, Goblins, Gro-A-Tog, UW Control, RDW, U/W Control, Scepter

PTQ #6
Minds Desire, UW Control, Goblins, Opposition, Teen Titan, Scepter, Elves, RDW

PTQ #7
Mono-Black, Rock, RDW, Mono-Black, Goblins, Psychatog, Reanimator, Teen Titan

PTQ #8
Scepter, Life, Affinity, ALuren, RDW, Life, Madness, UW Control

So thats now 64 decks, and 2 Affinity made top-8. If you feel like I'm picking PTQs to list where Affinity did badly then, basically, you're paranoid. I simply went to Starcity, clicked on a Top-8 list, and posted what it said - Affinity or no Affinity.

Affinity in extended, right, sucks. A big one. It's expected, it's one-dimensional, it's unreactive, it's just plain poor.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
HOUTS said:
WHere did I say it ran Vintage or Legacy?

Where?

I said: "Extended, Type 1, Type 1 and Limited"

Seriously, take a few brain cells to think about wtf you are reading...and then type.

It THESE formats it has been dominate.
Okay, once again, your post says...

HOUTS said:
When was the last time a deck DOMINATED all formats? (yes it has won consecutive Type 1, Extended, Constructed, and limited formats)

There hasn't been any.....
Now, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you meant Standard (Type II) when you said "Constructed" there. I'll also assume that in your other post, when you said "Type 1" twice, the second time you again meant Standard.

I brought up Legacy because I originally believed that you meant "all" when you said it. Clearly you did not. Also, I didn't then understand that you probably meant "Standard" when you said "Constructed." So forget Legacy...

But you still metioned Vintage (Type I) both times, which is a format not at all dominated by Affinity. In fact, they just resticted a card that works well against Affinity (Trinisphere, but that restriction won't make Affinity a tier one deck).

I don't know Extended well enough to comment on it, but based on what the other users here have put forward, Affinity doesn't seem to have dominated that format.

I also don't know Limited well enough to comment on it, however, I am curious to know what sort Affinity decks are doing so well there, being that I haven't seen what Limited formats are like for about over half a year now. Also, which Limited formats is Affinity dominating?

I

Istanbul

Y'know...

It's been my experience that while Gizmo is a total jerk (let's not deny it), he occasionally has something to say worth listening to.

In this case, he's right. Affinity, while an absolute powerhouse in Standard, doesn't have enough flexibility, resilience, or sheer groundbreaking speed to be a real competitor in Extended. Sure, sometimes it'll hop in there and snap up a random T8 spot, but that can be said about all sorts of decks.

La dee da. *sits back and watches the fireworks*

[EDIT: There used to be a HOUTS post right before mine, so factor that into the context here. I was mostly speaking to him. Why, I have no idea. *shrug*]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I deleted your last post HOUTS, because it had nothing worthwhile to say. Gizmo's backing up his assertion with actual stats - so far you've provided nothing to the contrary.

H

HOUTS

Nah, I did have something to say.

He spread lies, and spouts ignorance.

If anything has a place on the forum, I'd respect it, but in fact I could care less what he says. And my sentiments are agreed upon.

But keep the ignorance rolling. This is ONE of the reasons why I love coming to this place-trolls on the forums.

HOUTS

Ferret

Staff member
Well, let's see. If this "ignorance" we speak of involves no knowledge of the tourney scene, we've got lots of it - because most of us really don't care. Sure, a lot of us have played in sanctionned events and some have done quite well. Kudos to you. Be proud of yourself. At least someone will be.

If you've actually made money writing articles about money, kudos to you again. It's nice to get paid for doing something you like - however, don't expect the rest of us to think of you as some kind of 'expert' because of it.

I do miss the old days w/ my old playgroup. We had no idea what the dominant decks in the tournament scene was. We rarely read The Duelist (we preferred InQuest - it was good back then). We made the decks we wanted to. It was fun. Perhaps, we should all occasionaly ignore the tourney scene, ignore what decks are being posted on the nets, and listen to our gut when building decks...

-Ferret

"Dominant decks had to be constructed by someone - perhaps your new ideas could be the next one..."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm reading through this and have been laughing my oink off at the amount of dismay these bannings caused. I'n particularly "tickled" by the "Let WotC witness the tragedy they have caused." comment by DUke. Didn't seem to have hindered the game or its progress IMHO.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Looking through the "Who's Online" thing and seeing random threads that the "guests" were viewing. This made me laugh so hard that I had to necro-thread it.

Ransac, cpa trash man