Ravager, Disciple and Lands Banned

C

Crackdown

Standard

Arcbound Ravager is banned
Disciple of the Vault is banned
Artifact lands are banned (Ancient Den, Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Tree of Tales, Vault of Whispers, Darksteel Citadel)

D

DÛke

Shoot me.

Shoot me right now, and don't even clean the mess. Let WotC witness the tragedy they have caused.

Can we say...overkill?

Jesus.

Ok, maybe secretly I'm a little on the bright side of the moon. Overkill: 7 cards. Time taken to realize Standard needed a facelift: months. New possibilities: priceless.

J

jorael

Makes me wonder... Why ravager and disciple if they already crippled Raffinity by banning all the artifact lands?

Did their testing proved some kind of ravager-disciple combo could still be hazardous to the environment, even without the artifact lands? Or perhaps Disciple with Krak Clan Ironworks?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That seems to be what some people were saying in the Banning Speculation thread - that just banning the lands would only slow down Ravager/Disciple for a turn.

J

jorael

At starcitygames a lot of posters fear that Tooth and Nail will be public enemy nr 1 now. Eternal Witness, Beacon of Creation, Tooth 'n Nail itself: all good cards. Funny, I picked up 4x tooth and nail for .50 euro each. Maybe I should sell them :D

I'm also curious if players will try to make decks with artifacts that they didn't use before, because of all the artifact kill players packed to battle Raffinity. Looking at my playgroup, artifact kill is a necessity, even without any ravager deck. I'm afraid isochron scepter and others will still be welcomed by artifact hate.....

N

NorrYtt

kind of a shotgun approach, I personally was betting on the 5 colored artifact lands and not Darksteel Citadel, and that's all.

R

Rooser

I dunno, Sowing Salt and/or Plow under have become staples in most decks. Tooth might be the top deck to beat now, but it's not going to dominate like Affinity did.

And no, the maindeck artifact hate will calm down dramatically. We can finally play with all of our goofy stuff like Crystal Shard or Ensnaring Bridge or even Sould Foundry.

I don't like seeing such drastic things happen, but this is a good day.

H

HOUTS

I'm not surprised, and here is why:

When was the last time a deck DOMINATED all formats? (yes it has won consecutive Type 1, Extended, Constructed, and limited formats)

There hasn't been any.....

I called for all the artifact lands to be banned. After all, it was the engine to the deck, but it only makes sense to throw in the other pile of heap. They did leave it for extended.

Fact: It was too dominant in Type 2.

Fact: They got rid of it and it will allow for actually skilled players to win tournaments instead of sniveling 10 year olds with a monstrous deck crushing opponents.

Good riddance.

HOUTS

Killer Joe

I'm sure this is it. Tooth & Nail players are wet dreaming if they think Wiz Co. would even consider them to be looked at for banning.

There ARE no other cards to be considered. E-Witness? Not even close.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
HOUTS said:
I'm not surprised, and here is why:

When was the last time a deck DOMINATED all formats? (yes it has won consecutive Type 1, Extended, Constructed, and limited formats)

There hasn't been any.....
Exactly. There haven't been any--ever. So why are you bringing it up?

H

HOUTS

Oversoul said:
Exactly. There haven't been any--ever. So why are you bringing it up?

For the very OBVIOUS point of WHY they are banning all these cards. The only time this has happened has been WITH Affinity. Hence the reason, and my two cents of justification, of banning this monster.
Please pay attention to my wording of "the last time", meaning this is the current, and I am talking about before, past, this.

Um....derrr...

HOUTS

"Why do people ask obvious questions?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
HOUTS, if you think that Affinity has dominated Vintage or Legacy, you don't know either format. It hasn't even been particularly good...

G

Gizmo

Agreed, it's pretty average in Extended as well. Not Tier-1. There's too many cards that smash it's cheap artifact base.

R

Rooser

It's probably fair to say that it still affects the meta-game. If you don't pack the proper hate in extended, it will crush you. Vintage and Legacy can outrun it, but if you're playing something that's not aggro or aggro control, you might still need to reach for the hate cards. I don't think it needs to be touched in the other formats, nor is it the best deck, but it does affect the metagame. It wasn't the best deck in Standard anymore either, but it was still warping the metagame and since Standard is without the proper hate, we get the banning.

H

HOUTS

Oversoul said:
HOUTS, if you think that Affinity has dominated Vintage or Legacy, you don't know either format. It hasn't even been particularly good...

wtf?

Yeah, this is me being rude.

Reread my ****ing post idiot.

WHere did I say it ran Vintage or Legacy?

Where?

I said: "Extended, Type 1, Type 1 and Limited"

Seriously, take a few brain cells to think about wtf you are reading...and then type.

It THESE formats it has been dominate.

Gizmo said:
Agreed, it's pretty average in Extended as well. Not Tier-1. There's too many cards that smash it's cheap artifact base.

You don't know Extended then...but I do! I've qualified twice in this format, and I write regular articles on this format.

I can name numerous PTQ's and one PT that it has won. In average, it has been been in more Top 8's than OTHER decks, thus making it more than "pretty average".

Ignorance...sigh.

Please, guys, at least go look this information up on SCG. They provide Top 8's, not all of them but a few.

HOUTS

O

orgg

I didn't expect Ravager to go, personally. I think Ravager wasn't nessissary, personally. Getting rid of the so-called "Vault Ninja" Disciple of the Vault should have been enough along with the artifact lands. The lands were nessissary to get rid of Affinity and NOT allow KCI(Krark Clan Ironworks) to dominate the scene. Taking out the Disciple shortened Affinity to a slower deck, but still playable (not as good as some things out there, though.) Ravager... while good, should've been kept in if only to assuage people's complaints.

I wonder if there'll be a Redemption for Ravagers? Send a ravager, get a Darksteel pack, like the Urza's Block bans...