Ravager Affinity

H

Homestar

Hey all, DeathMastaz66 gave me a Ravager affinity deck to use in Magic Workstation, but the way i play it isnt right. good, but not right. so i need help on how to play this deck:
Land:
Great Furnace x4
Tree Of Tales x4
Vault Of Whispers x4
Blinkmoth Nexus x4
DarkSteel Citadel x4

Creatures:
Ornithopter x4
Myr Enforcer x4
Disciple Of The Vault x4
Arcbound Ravager x4
Arcbound Worker x4
Frogmite x4

Other:
Skullclamp x4
Shrapnel Blast x4
Pyrite Spellbomb x3
Welding Jar x3
Oxidize x4

so i played it against some kid and he said on my 4th turn that if I was actually playing it right i would have won by now. so, i juss wanna know how to play it. and, if any are needed, suggestions on the deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Did he say that you could have won if you'd been playing correctly, or was he just boasting that the deck normally kills more quickly than that?

I mean, I built a deck on Appr. using multiple copies of P9 cards, etc. and it would start an unbounded cycle of Time Walks on turn one usually and turn two most of the rest of the time. But one time (just one) I was practicing with it and got stuck until turn 12 because my hand was so bad...

A deck's optimal kill isn't the same as its average. And average isn't the worst either, obviously...

Anyway, this Affinity deck doesn't look like it's too hard to play, so I'm not sure as to what the problem might be. Could you describe how you normally play it?

H

Homestar

Did he say that you could have won if you'd been playing correctly, or was he just boasting that the deck normally kills more quickly than that?
he was boasting that he couldve been killed quicker. well, i dont really have a planned out strategy, just a way to use all the cards. ill clamp the workers, ill use the ravager as back up just in case my artifacts would die. and when i clamp the workers i put all counters on the ravager and once he is open or something or tapped out, i will sac. a lot of artifacts and go in with ravager and deal major damage or kill them if possible. that, or i will get a few disciples out then sac. all my artifacts to the ravager and deal my damage with the disciple then go in with the ravager like i said earlier. now i kno it is really stupid and i am on the complete WRONG track but i never heard of ravager affinity until deathmastaz showed me this decklist so thats juss what i came up with. death didnt have time to explain it so i juss kinda figured that on my own.

T

train

What was your opening hand and your next 4 draws - do you remember?...

H

Homestar

lol, no i dont remember eiither. i juss wanna know how to play this deck.

T

train

opening hand - vault, disciple, art land, art land, thopter, jar, worker... draw disciple, draw worker, draw art land...

land worker, thopter, jar
land ravager attack with worker for 1...
land disciple, disciple, worker, sac first worker (both disciples kick in for 2, ravager 3/3(1 from worker sac, 1 form worker module)), sac next worker ravager 5/5 2 from disciples, sac thopter, 2, 6/6, sac jar 7/7, 2 from disciple, sac art land, art land art land...

attacking with a 10/10 and they've already lost 14 - so they were at 5...

kill...

That's why it depends on the opening hand...;)

H

Homestar

holy crap,thats awesome. o.k, thats pretty much all i wanted from this thred.

D

Doombringer

hey, add plains or glimmervoid and leonin elder, then gain life while doing damage with disiple and even if they recover they'le have a hard time taking down your upped life. I think arcbound crusher would be sweet in a affinity deck too.

T

Tabasco

Too bad that on June 20th Skullclamp is officially banned from standard.....oops......sorry to busrt you bubble.

T

train

Tabasco - I guess I wasn't even using Homestar's deck when typing in the draws/kill method... sorry - for his deck - it is there... for the one I was thinking about it wasn't...:rolleyes:
I guess if I was asking for his draws I could've used his deck for the example...

:cool:

Well - Since skullclamp wasn't in the draw/kill homestar, and it will be banned, you might as well find a replacement for it...

H

Homestar

i already did, this is my deck:

Creatures:
Arcbound Ravager x4
Arcbound Worker x4
Disciple Of The Vault x4
Myr Enforcer x4
Frogmite x4
Ornithopter x4

Spells:
Shrapnel Blast x4
Nights Whisper x3
Oxidize x3

Artifacts:
Pyrite Spellbomb x4
Welding Jar x4

Land:
Blinkmoth Nexus x3
Vault Of Whispers x4
Darksteel Citadel x3
Great Furnace x4
Glimmervoid x4

C

chocobo_cid

Ravager-Affinity doesn't really need to be play-tested, does it?

:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What was the decklist you showed the draws from, Train? Or is it secret? Just wondering because I wanted to see a good non-Clamp decklist, as I don't play Affinity myself and don't grasp it fully...

H

Homestar

i have play tested this new deck once. i havent got ravager affinity to work out for me once either. i have never gotten the ravager and disciple out in the same hand. i get them both out eventually but i have only gotten 2 disciples out once. all the other times i suck and it screws me over.

T

train

Here's the one I was using...

Arcbound Ravager x4
Arcbound Worker x4
Disciple Of The Vault x4
Frogmite x2
Ornithopter x4

Spells:
Shrapnel Blast x4
Smotherx4
Oxidize x4
Shock x4

Artifacts:
Pyrite Spellbomb x3
Welding Jar x4

Land:
Whispers x4
Trees x4
Furnace x4
Den x4
Glimmervoid x4

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by Homestar
i have play tested this new deck once. i havent got ravager affinity to work out for me once either. i have never gotten the ravager and disciple out in the same hand. i get them both out eventually but i have only gotten 2 disciples out once. all the other times i suck and it screws me over.
If you splash black due to the disciples, you can't go wrong with a hearty load of Demonic Tutor!