Ransac vs Spiderman: Casual Decks Collide!

Z

Zigathon

I'm still shocked Spiderman's deck didn't kick much ass. I thought it to be the better deck... man, was I wrong or what?
Oh well, that's casual for you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, here's hoping for a top-deck too...

Untap, upkeep, Draw, Royal Assassin, Done :(

Yeah, an analysis is good afterwards...

Ransac:

Life: 14
Cards in Hand: 4
Cards in Library: 40
In Play:
(U) Birds of Paradise [0/1, Flying, T: add one of any color mana to mana pool]

(T) Library of Alexandria
(U) Volcanic Island [U/R Dual Land]
(T,T) Tropical Island [U/G Dual Land] x2

(T) Sol Ring [T: Add 2 colorless mana to mana pool]

(T,T,T,T) Soldier Token [1/1 white creature] x4
(U,U) Goblin-Soldier Token [1/1 red/white creature] x2

Goblin Trenches [2: Sacrifice a land: Put two 1/1 red and white Goblin Soldier creature tokens into play]

Celestial Dawn [Nonland cards you own that aren’t in play, spells you control, and nonland permanents you control are white. Lands you control are Plains. Spells and abilities you control produce white mana instead of any other color. You may spend white mana as though it were mana of any color]

(T) Gruul War Plow [Creatures you control have trample. 1RG: ~this~ becomes a 4/4 Juggernaut artifact creature until end of turn]

Graveyard: Taiga, Fling, Balance, Verdant Touch, Form of the Dragon, Decree of Justice, Tundra
RFG:

Spiderman:

Life: 5
Cards in Hand: 5
Cards in Library: 37
In Play:

(U) Island
(T,T) Underground Sea x2 (U/B Dual Land)
(T) Underground river
(U) Icy Manipulator

(U) El-Hajjaj (1/1, when ~ deals dmg, gain that much life)
(U) Royal Assassin (1/1, T: destroy target tapped creature)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, Sorceress Queen, Demonic Tutor, Swamp, Swamp, Swamp, Island, Underground River, Nettling Imp, Polluted Delta, Undermine, Dominating Licid
RFG:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
EOT, Tap out to Sac a Tropical Island for two more 1/1 g/s tokens. Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Forest. Make the Plow a creature. Attack en masse.

Ransac:

Life: 14
Cards in Hand: 4
Cards in Library: 39
In Play:
(U) Birds of Paradise [0/1, Flying, T: add one of any color mana to mana pool]

(T) Library of Alexandria
(U) Forest
(T) Volcanic Island [U/R Dual Land]
(T) Tropical Island [U/G Dual Land]

(U) Sol Ring [T: Add 2 colorless mana to mana pool]

(T,T,T,T) Soldier Token [1/1 white creature] x4
(T,T,T,T) Goblin-Soldier Token [1/1 red/white creature] x4

Goblin Trenches [2: Sacrifice a land: Put two 1/1 red and white Goblin Soldier creature tokens into play]

Celestial Dawn [Nonland cards you own that aren’t in play, spells you control, and nonland permanents you control are white. Lands you control are Plains. Spells and abilities you control produce white mana instead of any other color. You may spend white mana as though it were mana of any color]

(T) Gruul War Plow [Creatures you control have trample. 1RG: ~this~ becomes a 4/4 Juggernaut artifact creature until end of turn]

Graveyard: Taiga, Fling, Balance, Verdant Touch, Form of the Dragon, Decree of Justice, Tundra
RFG:

Spiderman:

Life: 5
Cards in Hand: 5
Cards in Library: 37
In Play:

(U) Island
(T,T) Underground Sea x2 (U/B Dual Land)
(T) Underground river
(U) Icy Manipulator

(U) El-Hajjaj (1/1, when ~ deals dmg, gain that much life)
(U) Royal Assassin (1/1, T: destroy target tapped creature)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, Sorceress Queen, Demonic Tutor, Swamp, Swamp, Swamp, Island, Underground River, Nettling Imp, Polluted Delta, Undermine, Dominating Licid
RFG:

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Argg. That's what I thought you'd do...

Tap the Plow with the Icy during Declare Attack phase, but can't stop all the tokens. Good game :)

Analysis: My deck definitely needs reset buttons and more ways to deal with permanents, especially enchantments. I think I have a Thwart, but the Balance is what really killed me. Without it, I would have won the first game.

Dead cards: Donate and Cloak of Mists - basically fodder for the Force of Will, since there's only one Carnival of Souls to make the Donate useful. And I never really had enough creatures to make the Cloak worthwhile.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Analysis: The luck of the draw helped me out in every game, as I had BoP and/or Sol Ring in most of my opening hands. I think I drew Balance in every game as well, so luck was there. Also, Celestial Dawn is AMAZING for this deck (I'm glad there are multiples). However, the main advantage this deck has is more game-altering spells: Form of the Dragon, Day of the Dragons, Balance, Decree of Justice, etc. The Academy Rector seemed to always be a target for a counter-spell or Stifle, but that meant one less counter for when I actually cast the big spells. I actually held a Rector for the majority of the last game, for fear of the Dominating Licid. I will say that since I had good mana draws early on, Land Tax, Oath of Lieges, and the like were constantly held in my hand (I had them at the end of that last game). Also, since my focus of the land ended uup being attacking with them, Seismic Assault became useless and I found myself holding it as well.

The big play I wanted to pull out was this: Verdant Touch several lands, Fling an Academy Rector, and search for a Day of the Dragon, turning said lands into giant flying dragons.

Well, I can't wait for the next match with the Casual decks!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have comments for these decks?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Awesome! But, when we go back to play the newer decks later, I shall be reclaiming my deck for that.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, are we actually switching decks? I gotta assemble a copy of yours too then...

Meanwhile, Heads or Tails?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We'll switch decks for the fun of experimentation. However, I fully intend to play the first deck when I challenge Oversoul's R/W or <insert CPA member>'s U/G deck.

Ransac, cpa trash