Persist/Sacrifice Deck

R

Rakarth

You can't do it before the trigger brings it back, but if a creature with persist has a -1/-1 counter on it when it dies then it'll not come back.

However you could then use a raise dead effect like Footsteps of the Goryo to bring it back, grab the effect from someone like Kitchen Finks, gain 2 life, Footsteps sacs the the creatures at EOT and it'll come back again with a -1/-1 counter :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ok, that makes sense if you are not doing the recursion with +1/+1 counters....
But if you do get the recursion engine going, don't those cards become sort of useless?
I guess the deck needs a direction.... and Don't look at me for one.... I just ask stupid questions....:D

R

Rakarth

True they become a little bit redundant with the +1/+1 counters but I'll have to see whether the deck can hold it's own without these recovery spells. I don't know how hard it'll be to get the right combination of cards in play/my hand to get this going right :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
You could play persist with graft creatures. I have a set of Cytoplast Root-kins laying around for ages, could be a deck idea. Another noteworthy creature is Forgotten ancient. Good in itself, but it lets you distribute the +1/+1 counters to your persist creatures. And there's always Power conduit.

R

Rakarth

Right, after a long time away from this thread I decided to throw together all I could muster along this theme and see what happened. It's not quite my original idea, there's so much less recursion with persisters, Heartmender isn't even in there so it's more a Jund deck as the main selling point is the Devour mechanic.

Here's the list at the moment, let me know what you think and if there's anything glaringly obvious wrong with it :)

7 Forest
6 Swamp
7 Mountain
1 Savage Lands
3 Jund Panorama

1 Scorched Rusalka
1 Starved Rusalka
1 Safehold Elite
1 Scavenger Drake
1 Algae Gharial
3 Hissing Iguanar
3 Rockslide Elemental
3 Deathgreeter
1 Murderous Redcap
2 Sprouting Thrinax
1 Cauldron of Souls
2 Thorn-Thrash Viashino
2 Jund Charm
2 Thunder-Thrash Elder
2 Bogarden Firefiend
1 Cauldron Haze
1 Kresh the Bloodbraided
2 Dripping-Tongue Zubera
2 Fleshbag Marauder
3 Rendclaw Trow
1 Mycoloth

So let's here what you got :D I stumbled across the zubera while searching my collection but only had two of the green one, I reckon that I could replace the Firefiend with the red zubera and the black one is good for discard and there a legitimate target for Cauldron of Souls given their two toughness so getting two uses should be easy.

I was trying to come up with scenarios where this deck would struggle and I know counter magic would screw me as it always does :p but it's not like mass removal is ever going to hurt me, it'll blow back in my opponents face :) which is gonna make this a fun multiplayer deck.

I also echo BPC's front page sentiments about Jund Charm. It's awesome, mass removal, graveyard hate and a permanent pump as opposed to UEOT. I love it.

Rakarth