Penumbra Wrath

G

Griffith_se

Here's a very, very rough idea (I give up on Snuff O Derm).
Someone probably already thought of it though. If You have one go ahead and post it, or give suggestions for this one.

G/W/b

Creatures 16
4 Mageta, The Lion 3WW
4 Penumbra Bobcat 2G
4 Penumbra Kavu 4G
4 Chimeric Idol 3

Spells 20
4 Harrow 2G
4 Lay of the Land G

4 Pernicious Deed 1BG
4 Vindicate 1WB
4 Wrath of God 2WW

Land 24
12 Forest
8   Plains
4   Swamp

G

Gizmo

Obliterate surely the more powerful version. Just a modern day remix of GargleHaups.

Presence of Nether Spirit in the format is also an issue - I`d rather use the GR version and run Obliterate and Scorching Lavas.

G

Griffith_se

4 Mageta, The Lion / Birds, Trees, Rituals ???
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
4 Chimeric Idol

4 Harrow
4 Lay of the Land

4 Pernicious Deed
4 Vindicate / Terminate
4 Wrath of God / 2 Obliterate
2 Scorching Lava

12 Forest
8 Plains / Mountain
4 Swamp

G

Griffith_se

Oh come on, be a sweet pea.
I'm asking real nice.
Pretty please, with sugar on it.
Help the needy, it'll make you fell all warm and fuzzy inside I promise. j/k

Let me try again

Creatures 12
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
4 Penumbra Wurm

Spells 20
4 Pyroclasm
2 Oblitirate
2 Wildfire
4 Fire Diamond
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Fires Of Yavimaya

Lands 28
4 Sandstone Needle
4 Hickory Woodlot
4 Karpulsan Forest
9 Forest
7 Mountain

Eh... whatever, I'm really starting to hate this game.

R

rkoelsch

The bad part with the lands are that those from Masque really don't replace the sac lands very well.

C

Cateran Emperor

4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
4 Penumbra Wurm

4 Obliterate
3 Wildfire
3 Inferno
4 Duress (just because)
4 Dark Ritual

Plenty o' land

This has been a 30 second concept. And so on.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why are beginning to hate the game, Griffy? Were you serious or was it a comment made in jest?

G

Griffith_se

Just a little frustrated.
I just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept's of what makes a good deck.
I'm not whining or anything, just frustrated.
Maybe I need to put this game out of my mind for awhile.

No biggy

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, here's what I think.

There's "good" and then there's "better". Sometimes, just "good" is good enough. You're not playing in tournaments so you might not need to strive for "better".

I'd say play a few games to see how your original deck turns out. If you're playing against tourney decks, you might need the "better". Otherwise, you might do fine and maybe sub in a couple of "better" choices to see how they work.

Or you can take a break and play more BGII :)

R

rkoelsch

I think that deck building is a very difficult skill. There are Pro Players who don't build their own decks. Some times people can be overly critical but don't take it to heart. I think you will get there in time as you seem to have the desire. Most of my decks are really half hearted attempts. So just keep up and don't let people get you down.

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Spiderman
There's "good" and then there's "better". Sometimes, just "good" is good enough. You're not playing in tournaments so you might not need to strive for "better".
Precisely.
The 'best' version of this deck is probably UR (counter-Obliterate) splashing black for Probes and Nethers.
There is nothing wrong with playing a GW Penumbral Wrath deck. But it will not be very strong against those decks not using a lot of creatures, or using countermagic, and would probably also struggle to beat Fires because the creatures you use are relatively small compared to the fat men in Fires.
In terms of deckbuilding ability - you`ve got a perfectly solid plan, in all senses the deck 'works' it`s just not necessarily good in the current competitive field. For very ten decks that 'work' there is one that is 'good'.

G

galtwish

Trying to make a good deck for the Penumbra creatures:
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
3 Penumbra Wurm
4 Saproling Burst
4 Thunderscape Battlemage
4 Shock
3 Scorching Lava
4 Skyshroud Claim
4 Obliterate
4 Tinder Farm
4 Sandstone Needle
4 Karpulsian Forest
6 Mountian
8 Forest

SB
4 Thornscape Battlemage
4 Reverent Silence
4 Cave-In
3 Kavu Chameleon

Basically, this tries to slow down fires by killing mana critters, making them lay more land to keep their attacks going. The Penumbra critters keep the fatties at bay until Oblterate, Burst, or Wurm comes out and turns the tide. mana is shakey without the sac-lands from 6th. Help?

Erik

C

Captain Caveman

____________________________________________________________Just a little frustrated.
I just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept's of what makes a good deck.
I'm not whining or anything, just frustrated.
Maybe I need to put this game out of my mind for awhile.

You may feel frustrated but without a doubt you are better
deck builder than I am. I've been playing for awhile now
and still can not build a "good" deck. Oh, I try, but the
whole concept escapes me. I think your decks are fine.

I believe some people have the "spark"(term coined by some
one else)while others, like myself, do the best we can. In
my opinion, you fall somewhere slightly below the "spark"
All of your ideas work and thats the important part.

Caveman

G

Gizmo

Hey, it`s not just about that though.

I`m finding it very hard ot understand the new T2, which is the core of why i`m quitting. I understood how to play Magic during TSE/UBC/5th, but the game changed when Invasion came in (I think I wrote at the time that the game would be radically different) and since then i`ve been swimming against the tide.

All my instincts lead me to play certain decks and cards, when in the new environment other cards and decks are better. I`m a good enough builder to be able to learn that my ideas need adapting, but I`m not playing enough to learn the new format properly and so I`m becoming easily frustrated by how badly I`m doing - or rather I feel I`m doing badly when in fact it`s just that there is increased importance on success in the fewer tournaments I go to, and Im picking harder tournaments to get that success in.

Right now i`m aware that I`m becoming increasingly NOT the best person to take advice from, because my advice comes from playing a format that is totally different to the one we are in now. Not just different cards and decks, but a different GAME.

C

Cateran Emperor

Wait, when did you say you were quitting Giz? Just tournament play, or Magic on the whole?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, he said he was quitting playing Magic in his prerelease(?) report/thread in the General forums.

G

Griffith_se

One more try at the Penumbra/Obliterate version.

Obliterate immune Creatures 12
(well... sorta immune)
4 Penumbra Wurm
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu

Can't decide on the mana acceleration I lean toward the LotL or Harrow(which),RG,SC group because they also help thin the library not to mention they don't die easy. Well Lay of the Land doesn't really accelerate my mana, but it does let me get a land I need and thin my library for G, probably go with Harrow instead for 2 more mana.

Mana acceleration 12
4 Lay of the Land -or Harrow -or- 4 Birds of Paradise
4 Rampant Growth -or- 4 Utopia Tree
4 Skyshroud Claim -or- 4 Vine Trellis

Burn 12
4 Obliterate
2 Wildfire
4 Shock
2 Scorching Lava

Land 24
8 Forest
6 Mountain