Penumbra Wrath

G

Gizmo

The problem with running the Claims etc is surely that you ARE thinning your library out. Just when you are about to blow up a lot of land. I also think you are drastically underlanding a deck that needs to get up to 8 mana pretty fast. I`d try to run fewer of those and more land, also run Wildfires a little more aggressively.

4 Tinder Farm
4 Geothermal Crevice
4 Karplusan Forest
2 Sansdstone Needle
2 Hickory Woodlot
7 Forest
5 Mountain
(28)

3 Obliterate
4 Wildfire
3 Skyshroud Claim
3 Urza`s Rage
4 Scorching Lava
2 Rampant Growth
(19)

2 Penumbra Wurm
4 Penumbra Kavu
4 Penumbra Bobcat
3 Yavimaya Barbarian
(13)

Which is a pile. :(

I

Istanbul

Hmmmm. I'm thinking that running Vernal Bloom might help. Obliterate leaves enchantments alone, so a way to retrieve land to your hand (LotL) combined with a way to make it work harder for you (Vernal Bloom) might help recovery post-Obliteration.

Or not. I dunno.

G

Griffith_se

I gold fished with several different Obliterate versions and I just hate it.
Red is not good for me, although the Obliterate version maybe superior in someone else's hand's it isn't in mine.

I am much more comfortable with the Wrath version.
Red does not like me.

Example:
I have Kai B's world champion Wildfire deck, and I can only win with it 1 out of 10 time's, Weird huh?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Maybe red just requires a higher skill level.

Z

Zadok001

Tell that to the swarms of Sligh haters out there. "Red takes more skill" will get you laughed off the planet. :) Of course, they're wrong, but hey, it's still what they'll say.

Giz: I'm having a similar problem right now. Too much Gold. Apoc put me over the edge - I can't handle a format where cards with only one color of mana in their mana cost makes up less than half of the playable cards. I'm running a silent protest by playing only mono-color Type 2 decks until Odyssey. Not like it'll help. There's just far too many "Fixed" cards - If you play G/B, you'd better play Spiritmonger and Deed. B/W is even more blatent - Vindicate, Death Grasp, Arena? U/W needs Meddling Mages and Absorbs. So many cards you can't avoid... Preconstructed decks across the field. That may be a very different problem than yours, but it looks like the effect is very similar. (I'll never quit, though.)

In terms of this deck, I like the idea of G/W. The theory is simple - You beat control decks relatively easily. They get two choices, either get attacked by creatures, or Wrath. And get attacked by creatures. Wrath does little to nothing to the deck. Chimeric Idol rounds out the creatures that are immune to Wrath, with Birds and Elves in there for mana (though Harrow may be better, given you're playing Wrath).

One thought that occurs to me is Wave of Reckoning, as scrubby as that sounds. It lets you play a quasi-Wrath that works on your opponent's creatures, and your Penumbras. Birds survive, as do Vine Trelli, if you want to play those. The deck remains highly resiliant to Wrath in U/W control, as well as giving it slightly better firepower against Fires with small chumps like Birds and Walls. It also makes Armadillo Cloak a good option if you play other creatures with toughness greater than power.

The Wave is more expensive, but remember that in this deck, it plays defensively. There's no reason to cast it unless it does something Bad to your opponent. It won't hurt you badly, and hopefully it'll destroy them. You'll have trouble with Rebels and probably Machine Head and Fires, but should beat U/W control. Let's see...

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Vine Trellis
4x Lay of the Land

Those will give you chumps and some mana acceleration and diversification.

4x Penumbra Bobcat
4x Punumbra Wurm
4x Chimeric Idol

I'm not very attached to the Kavus, but the Wurms are great due to Trample. They're expensive, but they give you many more options than a 3/3 that honestly will just be chumping with the cheaper 2/1. :) I dropped 'em.

4x Wave of Reckoning

Duh.

4x Armadillo Cloak
4x Ancient Spider

My "tech."

Anyways, I could write more on this, but I've gotta run... Good luck, nice deck!

G

Griffith_se

For Zadok's version - do you think Spidersilk Armor(with Wave of Reckoning) would be worthwhile here? Say, if your Penumbra creatures are already turned to black token creatures.

Also, being able to block fliers might be useful.
Of course it wouldn't save the Bobcat.

Maybe take out the bobcat for Pincher Spider, and Ancient Spider for Spidersilk Armor.

Eh, what do ya think? Bad idea or not?