Party "A" and Party "B"

R

rokapoke

Mooseman;274954 said:
Do you really believe that? Marriage is the family unit to foster the best environment for raising children (looking at it from a Macro-view point). Just because there are exceptions to the role of children in a marriage, does not make that concept invalid.
I thought marriage was the union between two loving individuals (for argument's sake, a man and a woman)... neither requiring nor implying that children would be involved.

Mooseman;274954 said:
And since the goal of same-sex unions are not to produce children (mostly) then why bestow the mantle of marriage on them? Why are civil unions so abhorrent if it serves the stated purpose?
My perspective on this is that civil unions are not uniformly considered to be equal to marriage on a national level. Apparently in California they are. However, I recall major issues with this a few years back while I was at Pitt, where same-sex benefits were withheld (although my memory of this issue is spotty at best). So my hope for making gay marriage legal would be that it would eventually create equal rights on a nationwide level.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
rokapoke;274956 said:
My perspective on this is that civil unions are not uniformly considered to be equal to marriage on a national level. Apparently in California they are. However, I recall major issues with this a few years back while I was at Pitt, where same-sex benefits were withheld (although my memory of this issue is spotty at best). So my hope for making gay marriage legal would be that it would eventually create equal rights on a nationwide level.
So you would force businesses to extend benefits to whom ever the government determined should get them?
Also, where does the right to marriage come from..... is this part of the constitution or bill of rights? I'd call it a privilege instead of a right, since it entails responsibilities too.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman;274957 said:
So you would force businesses to extend benefits to whom ever the government determined should get them?
Doesn't this already happen? Although I'm pretty sure the government doesn't force any business to extend any benefits to anyone. The only requirements are that if a business is going to extend benefits to one employee, they must offer the same benefits to all employees. That's basic anti-discrimination law.

D

DarthFerret

turgy22;274963 said:
Doesn't this already happen? Although I'm pretty sure the government doesn't force any business to extend any benefits to anyone. The only requirements are that if a business is going to extend benefits to one employee, they must offer the same benefits to all employees. That's basic anti-discrimination law.
Actually, the government does force a few benefits on companies, although we usually take those for granted now. The main one that comes to mind is the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). I am not even implying that this is a bad thing, but did want to point it out.

Texas makes a big deal that they are an "at-will hire state". Meaning that a company or an employee either one can terminate said employment for any reason, and that reason does not have to be disclosed. Kinda makes me wonder if other states do have rules and regulations about employee termination.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22;274963 said:
That is not what I'm talking about.... it's their "partners". What if the insurance companies don't include same-sex partners, but define it only as male-female partners? Does the government re-define what partners mean? Or what if the insurance companies charge more for same-sex partners?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman;274966 said:
That is not what I'm talking about.... it's their "partners". What if the insurance companies don't include same-sex partners, but define it only as male-female partners? Does the government re-define what partners mean? Or what if the insurance companies charge more for same-sex partners?
I would think it would be up to the insurance companies. I can't speak for all of them, but I'm looking at the insurance rate chart for my company plan right now and it simply says "M(ale) 2-Party", which doesn't seem to imply any gender for the partner. In fact, the pricing seems to indicate that the rates already account for the possibility of same-sex couples, of else the male and female 2-party rates would be equivalent.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the insurance companies are going to do whatever they need to do to make money. They have actuaries to work these things out and come up with their rates. If same-sex couples were deemed to be higher liabilities, then I would think it would be reflected in the pricing. If anything, though, I think the rates for same-sex couples would be lower, as a significant portion of two-party plan money goes toward maternity coverage. This obviously wouldn't be an issue in any male-male relationship.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret;274949 said:
So basically, for anyone to hold any type of debate or argument with you, they should be as knowledgable as you? What if they are more knowledgable in another area? Does that put the burden on you to get up to their speed? I am confused with what you are trying to get across here.
First question: No, not necessarily.
Second question: Good for that person.
Third question: Yes, if I'm trying to make a point that deals with said area. If I'm trying to make a point about history and I'm talking with a history major, I can't plead ignorance about what s/he says in response and expect to be taken seriously when trying to make my own argument.

What I'm trying to get across is that if one wants to assert that another person has made use of a logical fallacy, one must specify what the fallacy is in order to be considered seriously. That's just how discourse works.

How about this (no need to quote anything). It is a well established possibility of a opposite-sex couple to naturally concieve a child. It is an impossibility for a same-sex couple to do the same. That is just one piece of fact (hopefully qualifies as evidence). I am sure there are others out there, but most of them would be viewed as opinion.
Yes, that is true. But it doesn't qualify as evidence that same-sex marriage is or would be a problem. It's often used as justification for banning same-sex marriage. The idea is usually that the purpose of marriage is children. But there are several problems with this argument...

1. Legally, there is nothing that says the purpose of marriage is children.
2. Same-sex couples can and do raise children. They can't "naturally conceive a child." But virtually anything else is a possibility.
3. We already have plenty of people. More than ever before in history, actually.
4. Same-sex marriage wouldn't do anything to decrease the number of children being born.
5. We don't ban infertile couples, elderly couples, or couples who simply don't want kids from getting married.

Ah, what made me respond in the first place. If you use the word "will initiate" that tends to lead the reader to an inevitable conclusion. Leaves no room for argument.
What? Did you see the word "suggests" before that? And there is a big difference between saying that something will happen and saying that it will inevitably happen.

If those proposals are allowed to stand or fall on their own merits, then why is there such a problem with the outcome of the vote in California? I would say that proposal stood on its own merit as well.
Well, that's what this whole discussion is about.

How is this considered a majority rules definition? If the majority rules on something, how can it be societally repressive? Individually, sure, but for a group of people as a whole, not so much. This also brings to mind the old adage, "You cannot please all of the people all of the time."
Since you were apparently on the Wikipedia page for "tyrant," try going near the bottom of the page in the "see also" section" and then click on "tyranny of the majority."

Personally, I think this is one of the things that is wrong with our society today. We are so worried about making every individual happy, that society as a whole is starting to degenerate. The thing that scares me the most is that on the surface, this appears to be to be leading toward an anarchy. I personally do not believe that would be a good thing for America.
Who's worried about making every individual happy? You say "we" are. But I'm not. It seems that you're not. So who's "we"?

Mooseman;274954 said:
Do you really believe that? Marriage is the family unit to foster the best environment for raising children (looking at it from a Macro-view point).
How do you know it's the best? And if it is the best, why not let same-sex couples have that same chance?

Just because there are exceptions to the role of children in a marriage, does not make that concept invalid. And since the goal of same-sex unions are not to produce children (mostly) then why bestow the mantle of marriage on them?
Same as above about marriage not legally being about producing children. And many same-sex couples do raise children. Either type of couple can choose to raise children or not as they see fit.

Why are civil unions so abhorrent if it serves the stated purpose?
In truth, I don't know. I mean, it's a principle. But what principle? Is it because only a decade ago, two men in Texas were arrested for having sex in private and the case had to go to the Supreme Court in order for the anti-sodomy statute to be struck down? Is it because of "don't ask, don't tell"? Is it because most states not only ban same-sex marriage, but (unconstitutionally) refuse to recognize same-sex marriages from other states? Is it because the majority of the states in this country don't even offer same-sex civil unions? I'd think that this is a part of it. I'd think that it has to do with progress from a system that was formerly quite harmful to homosexuals, especially those who were openly homosexual into complete equality. And civil unions are a double standard. Even if the only difference in the whole country becomes one word (marriage), that's still unequal. If it really does come down to one group wanting legal use of the same term another group has, and nothing else, I'd be on the side of letting things be equal. But there's a lot more involved here.

For instance: http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/wedding/a/unionvmarriage.htm

That's a bit old, but it does break down the difference between marriages and civil unions.

Now then, what's so abhorrent about same-sex marriage?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22;274979 said:
I would think it would be up to the insurance companies.
Really? So they could deny same-sex partners and that's OK?

BTW - it costs more for a family plan then just a husband and a wife, so the maternity cost thing is mute.....

E

EricBess

Mooseman;275006 said:
That's actually an interesting question. What if rates were higher for homosexual men based on "risky lifestyle"? Would that be an issue? Would that be inapropriate descrimination? After all, diabetics have a hard time finding insurance plans that will take them and this is often not a lifestyle issue at all, but purely genetics.

And before I get flamed on this, I realize that being homosexual does not exclude a monogomous lifestlye. But how is such realistically determined? The reason I bring it up is because homosexuality is frequently considered a higher-risk lifestyle.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mooseman;275006 said:
Mmm...

Insurance companies do a lot of things that many people would say are not OK. But legally they can and do get away with it. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it seems to be how things have been and will probably continue to be.

EricBess;275022 said:
That's actually an interesting question. What if rates were higher for homosexual men based on "risky lifestyle"? Would that be an issue?
Oh yes, definitely. Actually, it would be several issues. Off the top of my head, we could have a hypothetical case where the insurance company wants to charge higher rates for a man they claim is homosexual, but he claims to be bisexual. Or he even claims to be heterosexual. It's not something they'd even try. Just like they wouldn't charge higher rates for people who bite their fingernails or people who like to wear black socks. There might be some counterexamples, I'm pretty clueless about insurance, but the things they charge higher rates for tend to be things that customers won't be able to contest, like age or sex (or your example with diabetics--they can't really fake not being diabetic to get the lower rates).

E

EricBess

So it is interesting that there would be issues with a lifestyle choice, but no one seems to mind that they discriminate against diabetics? How about smoking and drinking? I'm guessing no one would raise an eyebrow if they decided to raise insurance rates for smokers and drinkers (I'm sure they already do)...

BTW, I didn't understand the comment about "...they claim is homosexual, but he claims to be bisexual..." I'm talking about what is largely considered to be a "high-risk" lifestyle, so I would think bisexual would still fall into the same category.

D

DarthFerret

I have no idea how this insurance stuff works either. I am a smoker, and so far every job I have ever had has given me the opportunity to acquire insurance. Never once have I been asked if I smoke (I do). Dunno how pre-existing conditions and all that stuff works either. If anyone does know, please enlighten me.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess;275055 said:
So it is interesting that there would be issues with a lifestyle choice, but no one seems to mind that they discriminate against diabetics?
Did you read my post? I really don't see how you could be asking this question if you did. Oh well, I'll try more time. For example: of the many people who are NOT diabetics, it is true that people who eat a lot of calories are at a higher risk for becoming diabetic than people who don't. If insurance companies wanted to charge higher rates based on this, the results would be crazy. Almost everyone would claim to be consuming a low amount of calories in order to get the lower rates. The insurance companies would have no way to show that any of them were lying (they couldn't spy on everyone, that would be silly and illegal), and the whole thing would be a joke. They'd simply never try that. This is very different from charging higher rates for actual diabetics because those people can't realistically lie about being diabetic. It's in their medical records and they probably need to get medication for it (depending on the type and severity of the diabetes). Caloric intake is not something that the insurance companies have access to.

The same problem would apply, at least as much, to any sort of scale based on sexuality. Not just between homosexuals and heterosexuals (and neither is a lifestyle choice, which I've already been over and you know it). They could be more systematic and charge rates based on the number of sexual partners one has in a given timeframe and how often one engages in sex acts (much better hypothetical actuarial tables from that sort of data if they got it than from a simple sexual orientation system, I'm sure).

How about smoking and drinking? I'm guessing no one would raise an eyebrow if they decided to raise insurance rates for smokers and drinkers (I'm sure they already do)...
I've never heard of this. Does any insurance company do this?

BTW, I didn't understand the comment about "...they claim is homosexual, but he claims to be bisexual..." I'm talking about what is largely considered to be a "high-risk" lifestyle, so I would think bisexual would still fall into the same category.
"Largely considered"? By whom? And so what if it did fall under the same category. The guy could still claim to be heterosexual, if that were the only other option.

E

EricBess

Have you ever tried to get personal insurance (not group insurance through your work)? They ask a whole bunch of questions.

And yes, while you are free to lie about the answers, you risk not being covered if it is discovered.

And Oversoul - just because we disagree on a point does not automatically make me wrong, regardless of whether you have "covered" the issue or not.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess;275084 said:
Have you ever tried to get personal insurance (not group insurance through your work)? They ask a whole bunch of questions.
No, but I know that.

And yes, while you are free to lie about the answers, you risk not being covered if it is discovered.
Yes, but if it's something that's practically impossible for them to discover your lie on or actually illegal for them to even make an attempt to do so, they wouldn't even try.

And Oversoul - just because we disagree on a point does not automatically make me wrong, regardless of whether you have "covered" the issue or not.
You saying something that is wrong, does, however, automatically make you wrong.

E

EricBess

Oversoul;275085 said:
You saying something that is wrong, does, however, automatically make you wrong.
What a nice little tautology. I assume this applies to yourself as well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of discussion, not much to add since rokapoke pretty much stated my position on whether children matter in a "marriage" ('cause there's plenty of children being raised quite fine in a same-sex household) and insurance companies can indeed do whatever they want, being private companies, although they probably go with the societal trends (i.e. smokers back in, say the 50's or so, probably paid the same rates but once info came out about them being prone to getting lung cancer or whatever in greater numbers, the rates got raised on them since they obviously cost the company more).

I feel homosexuality being linked to "risky behavior" is more societal prejudice than anything else... depending on how "risky" is actually defined, but I am sure there are plenty of heterosexuals who also engage in "risky" behavior. Yet being heterosexual is (so far) the "norm" in society, so that doesn't get a second glance...