Party "A" and Party "B"

E

EricBess

Read this

We've discussed this topic before, but the general consensus seemed to be that it didn't affect anyone else. Think again.

I know of at least one case of a doctor that practices in-vitro who was told by the court that he must offer services to a lesbian couple, even though it went against his religious beliefs.

Under the current "ruling", a "clergyman" can lose his right to perform marriages if he refuses to join a same-sex couple. Church and state are getting dangerously close here and it's just a matter of time before this actually happens and we see how the courts react.

The thing that gets me is that we effectively ignore 200 years of custom and tradition based on an assertion that it is okay and that there's nothing specifically against it in the constitution. Never was their an initiative on the ballot to allow same-sex marriage. IMO, If these people want same-sex marriage, they should put it on the ballot instead of putting the burden on those who oppose it. It's no wonder they have already been rescinded once and possibly will be again in November.

Ironically, same-sex couples already have all of the rights of traditional couples based on civil unions. This is about pushing a very dangerous agenda.

B

BigBlue

It is a very troubling story, if true... I hate Internet stories which don't provide specific information, like news articles, names, etc...

George Carlin used to have a routine about Feminists... basically he agreed with a lot of their platform, except they, like other extreme groups on all sides, take things too far...

It's one thing to allow same-sex marriage, it's quite another to force traditional marriages to conform to some bland document so as to not offend the minority of marriages.

The Dr. case seems odd... Discrimination cases involve showing you belong to a protected class and were denied service because of that - and thus far sexual orientation has never been a protected class in any state that I've heard of... He doesn't perform life-threatening procedures, so it's hard to see him being forced to provide care the same as an emergency room is forced to provide care. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just surprised a court would seem to overstep it's jurisdiction and that surely the Dr. could probably win an appeal to a higher court.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The Denial of the license in CA is true, from a simple search on google, but the reason was that CA rules have stated that forms may not be changed. That is why it was denied.
There was a case of the doctor, but is was overturned by an appellate court. (physicians, Christine Brody and Douglas Fenton, refused to perform IVF for Guadalupe Benitez)
They sited a California state law that bars for-profit businesses from "arbitrarily" discriminating against clients based on characteristics such as race, age and sexual orientation.

Haven't found anything about the Clergyman and having to marry anyone.

The big question here is that race and sexual orientation are equated in CA.... I don't think they are the same.... one is a behavior and the other is not.

E

EricBess

Mooseman - I do not know if there is currently any specific litigation concerning a clergyman's right to refuse marriage based on religious beliefs. However, I have been reading through the CA supreme court's decision in overturning prop 22 and most of the language involved in deciding that prop 22 was "unconstitutional" was couched in such terms as "dignity" and "respect". In other words, it is only a matter of time before a same-sex couple files a lawsuit against a clergyman stating that they are not given them their due dignity and respect.

I suppose that one could argue that prop 8 should be worded that no person or entity should be forced to take action in counter to their religious believes based on another person's sexual orientation, but I'm sure that the ACLU would be just as opposed to something like that.

It is only a matter of time. And these other instances just go to prove that. Mooseman - do you know if the case of the doctor is being raised to the supreme court or not? If I understand correctly what I was reading about prop 22, the events that led to last May involved a ruling by a lower court that was overturned by the appelate court and re-overturned by the supreme court.

As for the denial of the licence, the point isn't whether or not it is legal to change a form in California, but the fact that the form was changed in the first place. Technically, people married in California from here on out will not be "husband and wife", but will be "party A and party B".

B

BigBlue

Ahhh...

I think you're getting into a very slippery slope stating that a person's religious beliefs can contradict law... Even if you try to specify it is strictly for homosexuality issues...

A waiter could then refuse to serve same-sex couples in a restaurant. A Nurse could refuse to render aid to a homosexual person. A police officer could refuse to protect someone being beaten due to their sexual orientation.

Freedom of Religion, is not restricted solely to organized religion, or even to federally recognized religions - those you can get on your dogtags for instance.

I do understand what you are saying completely.

I think the better rule is along the lines that a private (for profit or not) business may always choose who they wish to serve and reserve the right to refuse service from anyone. The only exception to this being when it is a matter of health or other essential service, then you may not refuse service. Artificial Insemination, is NOT an essential service.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
BigBlue said:
I think the better rule is along the lines that a private (for profit or not) business may always choose who they wish to serve and reserve the right to refuse service from anyone. The only exception to this being when it is a matter of health or other essential service, then you may not refuse service. Artificial Insemination, is NOT an essential service.
So they should be able to refuse Irish people service? How about fat people?
I don't know what the fuss was all about, since they referred her to another facility and offered to make up any extra expenses.....

BB: I was just trying to get some facts in there.... I found nothing on it being re-overturned by the supreme court. The rest of what you said is pure conjecture, while interesting as a topic, it was my intent to find "proof" of what you had written.

R

rokapoke

Recently, in Philadelphia, one of the "big two" cheesesteak places posted a sign to the effect of "Order in English or we won't serve you." In essence, they were a private business purporting to selectively not serve people. However, word was that nobody was actually denied service.

Somewhere down the line, a politician made a fuss and ended up being the driving force in a lawsuit against the company. The end result, if I'm not mistaken, was that because nobody was denied service, the suit was dropped.

A link to one of the stories is here. I found this by Googling "geno's speak english," if you want more details.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wait, hold the phone..... People in Philly can speak English? That is hard to believe...... :D

If they made English the official language of the US, it would standardize al ot of thing and make it easier to interact with other citizens..... I am not for this multi-language crap.....

E

EricBess

Mooseman said:
I don't know what the fuss was all about, since they referred her to another facility and offered to make up any extra expenses.....
That's sort of the point. If they referred her to another facility, then why were they sued? Even if that was part of the resolution, why couldn't they have just gone somewhere else in the first place. Why try to insist that this person do something that they don't feel comfortable doing?

BB - Yes, I agree with you, just not sure how best to word something that isn't going to be so flexible as to be rendered useless by the CA supreme court's interpretation.

Here's another one to think about. I thought my wife had mentioned something like this somewhere in the states, but I couldn't find it. Still, the Bible is pretty clear, calling homosexuality "An abomination before God" and similar language. But it is equally clear about hating the sin, but accepting the sinner, so I guess the real problem is that no one ever wants to take the Bible in context.

B

BigBlue

Free speech is free speech... anything less than that is, well what's less than free? :)

That's troubling in any context. I guess it all comes down to what is "hateful"? Is it hateful to quote scripture? Certainly some scripture is inflammatory. But that's another slippery slope where you can get in trouble.

I, as a devout agnostic, don't have a problem with my money saying "In God We Trust"... But, some people do. Some people have a great disdain for our pledge of allegiance to our country including "Under God". How is this a seperation of church and state?

I'm not sure everyone has heard this scenario before, but take a hypothetical example of aliens (who have a universal translator) landing on Earth and picking up a penny from the ground. What would that Penny say about us as people? That our money is backed by a God who looks like Abraham Lincoln? That we care so little about money that we cast it wantonly on the ground? Perhaps we discard our money because we have fallen from belief in this Lincoln God. Perhaps we are so wealthy, we spread it randomly around.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
EricBess said:
Why try to insist that this person do something that they don't feel comfortable doing?
There's a lot I have to do on a daily basis that I don't feel comfortable with, like paying taxes. In the end, I'm bound by law to do these things anyway. These laws are something we agreed on together, as a society. While I can respect someone's belief, freedom of religion coupled with seperation between church and state means to me that you're free to do what you want in the privacy of your own home. If your job is marrying people or making people pregnant, you should just do your job or find another job that you are comfortable with.

I'm wondering, if you think someone shouldn't do something he's not comfortable with, are you okay with it if a muslim in public service doesn't want to shake hands (as a greeting) with a female?

E

EricBess

And yet, our country lets people completely off the hook for military service for religious reasons.

In all seriousness, though, companies are allowed to refuse service for just about any reason they want to. Guy walks into a restaurant without shoes, they kick him out. If that guy happened to be a big spender, that's their loss, but they have stuck with their beliefs.

BTW, everyone keeps talking about the separation of church and state, but nowhere in the consitution does it use that terminology. The only right guarenteed by the constitution is that there will be no government-established religion. In other words, everyone is free to worship as they will.

Do you not see how hypocritical it is to say "if your job is marrying people...you should just do your job or find another job that you are comfortable with."? Now, if you work for an organization and you don't agree with the fundamentals of the organization, then I agree with you - find another job, talk to your boss about your reservations, or suck it up.

But marrying people? I assume you are talking about clergy and clergy is nearly always (I would say somewhere over 99% of the time) associated with a particular religious organization. If the tenants of that religious organization are that homosexuality and same-sex marriage are abominable (as stated in the Bible), then do you not consider forcing the clergy to marry against the tenants of the religion to be something that might qualify as the government imposing a religious will?

While I personally don't agree with you on the case of fertility doctors (or adoption agencies, or...), I can at least accept your argument. But when you apply that same argument to something that is fundimentally tied to religion, I don't even respect that as an argument.

Now, if you were referring to "justice of the peace" as opposed to clergy (I believe judges can also perform weddings?), then I think you are getting into shaky ground. If a judge refuses to marry someon because he doesn't personally support same-sex marriage based on his religious beliefs, then what can he do? Move to another state? Suck it up? I would hope that the system would allow such a person to refer someone else, but historically, that hasn't been the tactic of this particular vocal minority.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Shabbaman said:
I'm wondering, if you think someone shouldn't do something he's not comfortable with, are you okay with it if a muslim in public service doesn't want to shake hands (as a greeting) with a female?
Sure why not? I don't like it and it's not an insult, at least it wouldn't be if he did it to me because I am not of his faith or something. I would color my opinion of him and his beliefs, but I wouldn't want to legislate him to change them.
The clergy marry people of their church, not just any one off the street. If the beliefs of that church differ from yours and they won't marry, find one that will or go to JP, don't force the church to change to fit your views.
Some rabbis won't marry people outside their faith, do we force them to?

D

DarthFerret

Btw...yes, a judge has the power to marry you. Another FYI here is that a judge is not allowed (by law) to accept payment for such services. Probably why it is not done often. My first marriage was conducted by a judge who also was a friend of the familiy. I tried to pay him and he could not leagally accept it.

Secondly, I do find it funny that everyone just skipped right over what EB said. It says specifically in the constitution that Government shall make no law in the establishment of a religion. Again, does not say seperation of church and state. Does not say freedom of religion (or more specifically from religion). There are many other reasons why a clergyman could refuse to do a marriage. My second (and current and last) marriage was conducted by my current minister. He required us to do a pre-marital class (which was awesome), and to pass that class. Also, the instructer of the class had to give his approval (obviously did). I am not saying that it should be that way for every couple. I am just saying that if you do not want to go through all of that, then you have to find someone else (such as a justice of the peace, or a judge, or a vegas dude, whatever..).

As for IV fertilization, well, I am of two minds here. On the moral side, I believe it is wrong. fundametally because it is not raising the child in an envirionment that is condusive to appropriate moral behavior. This however is just my moral opinion. On the legal side, if a same sex couple is recognized as a legal union, then I think the option should be open to them. BUT, I do not belive that the court system should be able to require a specific Dr. to perform such a procedure. If one refuses, I am sure there are others out there that will do it. If not, well...move somewhere that does if it is that important to you.

Shabbaman said:
There's a lot I have to do on a daily basis that I don't feel comfortable with, like paying taxes. In the end, I'm bound by law to do these things anyway. These laws are something we agreed on together, as a society. While I can respect someone's belief, freedom of religion coupled with seperation between church and state means to me that you're free to do what you want in the privacy of your own home. If your job is marrying people or making people pregnant, you should just do your job or find another job that you are comfortable with.
A clergyman's job is not to marry people. It is to promote the promulgation of his religion within the confines of his specific order. If marrying people of the same faith falls into that realm then so be it. It is not to be forced to marry others.

And the whole taxes thing is because the constitution was ammended (I think it is the 16th ammendment) to allow income taxes. This took an act of congress (obviously) to do this. If you want to try to pass another ammendment to make all of this legal, then go for it. I am pretty sure it would fail, but if not, then it would be law. Then the argument shifts. Otherwise, keep government's nose out of religion, and do not allow religion to rule over or decide government policy. I think we can pretty much all agree on that.

M

mythosx

Hm.....why can't lawmakers have this level of depth of conversation?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Well, here civil servants perform marriages. Religious marriages have zero value (unnless you count emotional value). Hence the confusion.

Mooseman said:
Sure why not?
There has been a court ruling on this, and apparently you'd be discriminating against women. You're free to do this, but only outside of your job. Last year there was a similar ruling on same sex marriages: if that's your job, you have to do it.

And no, Eric, I see nothing hypocritical in that. It's our constitution.

Marrying in the church is probably different, because you aren't married under law. It's a religious ceremony, and if there'd be a religious ceremony where two men can not be saying "yes" or where a bearded man wouldn't shake hands with a women that wouldn't be discrimination but religion.

B

BigBlue

I believe that's almost always the case Shabbaman... You have to get a marriage license from the state you're getting married in, the ceremony itself is only ceremony, the point of which is you are joined together in front of witnesses. The person administering the ceremony has to be certified by the state they are performing marriages in... Like you say, religious ceremony is the emotional side of it.

My first marriage I had to go through classes etc, like DF... The second time around, we went to Las Vegas to be wed... At a small outdoor place w/ a minister we didn't know... But it was exactly what we both wanted, short and sweet. Her family was there for her.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I have no clue what you are talking about, so I looked up on wikipedia what a marriage licence is. It appears to be something that's never been in use in the barbaric region I live in: here, both the registration (what is probably somewhat similar to applying for a marriage licence, as it consists of filling out forms) and the marriage are conducted at city hall (usually; marriage is sometimes done at special locations, most of the time the ancient city hall like it was in my case). Only civil servants can perform the ceremony (actually, reading your rights and obligations and more legalese). Without religion, but you can do a speech or special vows if you want to, and I imagine you could do some praying if you'd ask for it. If you want to marry for the church, you have to do it all over again. But the marriage in church has no legal value.

BTW, Vegas marriages have no legal value here. I think it is because there has to be at least two weeks between registration and marriage.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Read this

We've discussed this topic before, but the general consensus seemed to be that it didn't affect anyone else. Think again.
Wait, what? This affected them because they wanted their marriage to be legally recognized under terms have now been changed and because they couldn't get their way, that's somehow a problem?

I know of at least one case of a doctor that practices in-vitro who was told by the court that he must offer services to a lesbian couple, even though it went against his religious beliefs.
Good. Actually, I'd rather not have someone whose religious beliefs are going to get in the way of providing medical care licensed at all, but whatever.

Under the current "ruling", a "clergyman" can lose his right to perform marriages if he refuses to join a same-sex couple. Church and state are getting dangerously close here and it's just a matter of time before this actually happens and we see how the courts react.
This doesn't seem like church and state getting close at all. It's a bit of a weird issue, since legally marriage is a state affair, not a church one. But church dudes are legally able to perform the marriage ceremony because it's been sort of grandfathered in. Really, the whole system is awkward and doesn't make sense. Which is why I've already said I'd just as soon do away with marriage as a legal institution and have "civil unions" or something with less loaded history available for everyone.

The thing that gets me is that we effectively ignore 200 years of custom and tradition based on an assertion that it is okay and that there's nothing specifically against it in the constitution. Never was their an initiative on the ballot to allow same-sex marriage. IMO, If these people want same-sex marriage, they should put it on the ballot instead of putting the burden on those who oppose it. It's no wonder they have already been rescinded once and possibly will be again in November.
By that logic, courts are unnecessary. Anyone who has any problem with anything can just "put it on the ballot."

Ironically, same-sex couples already have all of the rights of traditional couples based on civil unions. This is about pushing a very dangerous agenda.
That certainly isn't true across the board for the U.S. There may be some state in which civil unions actually do grant literally all of the same things as marriage. But there are at least some things missing in most of them and that's only the states that actually even have civil unions. Most of them don't. Pretty sure most of those won't even recognize the civil unions of other states either, which is another issue...

And what's the dangerous agenda anyway?

BigBlue said:
It's one thing to allow same-sex marriage, it's quite another to force traditional marriages to conform to some bland document so as to not offend the minority of marriages.
The extent of their "conforming" is that the words "bride" and "groom" are replaced with generic designations?

The Dr. case seems odd... Discrimination cases involve showing you belong to a protected class and were denied service because of that - and thus far sexual orientation has never been a protected class in any state that I've heard of... He doesn't perform life-threatening procedures, so it's hard to see him being forced to provide care the same as an emergency room is forced to provide care. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just surprised a court would seem to overstep it's jurisdiction and that surely the Dr. could probably win an appeal to a higher court.
Hmm, it is a protected class, although I wouldn't know in which states. And I think it is very possible for a doctor not in an emergency room to be forced to provide care. I'm not sure what the circumstances are or how to research this while still being lazy though...

Mooseman said:
The Denial of the license in CA is true, from a simple search on google, but the reason was that CA rules have stated that forms may not be changed. That is why it was denied.
Well, it makes sense, although it seems kind of harsh in this case.

There was a case of the doctor, but is was overturned by an appellate court. (physicians, Christine Brody and Douglas Fenton, refused to perform IVF for Guadalupe Benitez)
They sited a California state law that bars for-profit businesses from "arbitrarily" discriminating against clients based on characteristics such as race, age and sexual orientation.

Haven't found anything about the Clergyman and having to marry anyone.

The big question here is that race and sexual orientation are equated in CA.... I don't think they are the same.... one is a behavior and the other is not.
Sexual orientation isn't a behavior. Also, discrimination based on it may be treated the same legally (not sure about California).

EricBess said:
As for the denial of the licence, the point isn't whether or not it is legal to change a form in California, but the fact that the form was changed in the first place. Technically, people married in California from here on out will not be "husband and wife", but will be "party A and party B".
So what?

rokapoke said:
Recently, in Philadelphia, one of the "big two" cheesesteak places posted a sign to the effect of "Order in English or we won't serve you." In essence, they were a private business purporting to selectively not serve people. However, word was that nobody was actually denied service.

Somewhere down the line, a politician made a fuss and ended up being the driving force in a lawsuit against the company. The end result, if I'm not mistaken, was that because nobody was denied service, the suit was dropped.
So it sounds like they got the suit dropped on a technicality because it was the easiest thing to do. That doesn't mean they would have lost had someone actually been denied service. Restaurants ARE able to refuse to serve people.

EricBess said:
That's sort of the point. If they referred her to another facility, then why were they sued? Even if that was part of the resolution, why couldn't they have just gone somewhere else in the first place. Why try to insist that this person do something that they don't feel comfortable doing?
Yeah, that seems weird.

Here's another one to think about. I thought my wife had mentioned something like this somewhere in the states, but I couldn't find it. Still, the Bible is pretty clear, calling homosexuality "An abomination before God" and similar language. But it is equally clear about hating the sin, but accepting the sinner, so I guess the real problem is that no one ever wants to take the Bible in context.
Anything like that should be struck down as unconstitutional (First Amendment) here.

EricBess said:
BTW, everyone keeps talking about the separation of church and state, but nowhere in the consitution does it use that terminology. The only right guarenteed by the constitution is that there will be no government-established religion. In other words, everyone is free to worship as they will.
Man, I know I've already gone over this before. Oh well, time to do it again. It is true that the U.S. Constitution does not actually use the phrase "separation of church and state." The First Amendment does, however, effectively invoke such and the phrase was used in reference to it from early on, by at least one person who actually worked on the Constitution. The First Amendment actually says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

This is much stronger than simply saying that the government cannot establish a religion and has been treated by all courts, up to and including the Supreme Court, as effectively constituting a wall of separation between church and state.

But marrying people? I assume you are talking about clergy and clergy is nearly always (I would say somewhere over 99% of the time) associated with a particular religious organization. If the tenants of that religious organization are that homosexuality and same-sex marriage are abominable (as stated in the Bible), then do you not consider forcing the clergy to marry against the tenants of the religion to be something that might qualify as the government imposing a religious will?
No, because legal marriage is not a religious institution. The state could simply refuse to allow anyone who isn't a judge to perform a legal marriage ceremony.

While I personally don't agree with you on the case of fertility doctors (or adoption agencies, or...), I can at least accept your argument. But when you apply that same argument to something that is fundimentally tied to religion, I don't even respect that as an argument.
Marriage isn't legally tied to religion.

DarthFerret said:
Btw...yes, a judge has the power to marry you. Another FYI here is that a judge is not allowed (by law) to accept payment for such services. Probably why it is not done often. My first marriage was conducted by a judge who also was a friend of the familiy. I tried to pay him and he could not leagally accept it.
Not sure why you think it's not done often. It's done all the time.

Secondly, I do find it funny that everyone just skipped right over what EB said. It says specifically in the constitution that Government shall make no law in the establishment of a religion. Again, does not say seperation of church and state. Does not say freedom of religion (or more specifically from religion).
DF, you were the person I corrected on this in another thread. And I know you can read, so you should really know better.

As for IV fertilization, well, I am of two minds here. On the moral side, I believe it is wrong. fundametally because it is not raising the child in an envirionment that is condusive to appropriate moral behavior. This however is just my moral opinion. On the legal side, if a same sex couple is recognized as a legal union, then I think the option should be open to them. BUT, I do not belive that the court system should be able to require a specific Dr. to perform such a procedure. If one refuses, I am sure there are others out there that will do it. If not, well...move somewhere that does if it is that important to you.
Well, I'll at least commend you for not conflating morality and law.

B

BigBlue

Oversoul - I've never heard of any state with Sexual Orientation as a protected class. In terms of hate crimes it's probably listed, but not as a protected class like sex, race, handicapped status (ADA added this), or religion.