One word: Pathetic...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I suppose I am mad for a totally different reason. I mourn the blow not to my dignity, but to theirs, and to that of all Magic writers. I had thought that surely a writer who cared devoutly about Magic and the Magic community would be chosen as the best, over someone who does it for money or "props." However, this sordid turn of events has hastened the realization that this is not true and will not be true for a long time.

For some reason I sanctify the institution of writing. I have either got to stop doing so in an environment which rewards cunning and strategy, or find another focus of my attention.

No, I'm not expecting you to care.

D

DÛke

...how would I feel if my favorite writer (Dave Zadok Stroud) does the same? Would he really still be my favorite writer ever? Surely not. It really drops their self-image.

Don't visit the CPA to drop your self-image. :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Isnt it true that the members of this very message board havent come to a solid conclusion of what a "casual" player is? The supposedly casual players haven? Its like arguing about abortion- no conclusions can be made, no agreements reached.

I thought it was funny though, regardless of it was supposed to be or not:)

Z

Zadok001

"...how would I feel if my favorite writer (Dave Zadok Stroud)"

:) :) :) :) :)

:)

:)

But seriously - If I were on that pole I'd fully expect the CPA to push me over the top!

(It's a joke, guys. I'm not serious in the slightest. :) Just thoroughly amused by this thread, Malka's article, Vasco's retort, and life in general. I'm in an amused mood right now. And that line from DUke just made my day. :) )

[PS - Are you guys aware there's a limit on how many smilies can be in one post? There used to be twice as many!]

D

Duel

Okay, I smiled at Malka's article, but it did worry me a little. There was a nagging thought in the back of my mind that wondered if he was serious....

HOWEVER

I can see no reason to even CONSIDER De Gama or The Ferret's articles as serious. They were both mocking themselves clearly, with a little jibe in Sol's direction. It was clear by the all-too-indignant/begging mode within their writing.

What really pisses me off are the claims that these people do not know what casual is. EVERYBODY WAS A CASUAL PLAYER AT ONE POINT!

JON FINKEL was a casual player once. Not too long ago either.

And you know what, I think many of them still are. I think that Aaron Forsynthe still plays games with decks he knows will lose. I think Sol Malka still will build decks he knows aren't the smartest out there, because they are fun.

I think they still believe magic is a game, and their writing on this is proof of that. I was encouraged that they had the decency to laugh at themselves and at this spoof of CCGprime's. I thought it was hilarious. I fully expect The Ferret to demand a recount if he loses.....

D

DÛke

...Well, it's like they were making fun of each other while making fun of everything else in general. It's like "I'll be funny, and I'll hide the bit of seriousness I have behind those jokes..." Some people can see.

...Duel, if they knew what casuality is, than they sure have lost it, and the proof is right there on the front page...they tried appealing, and it kinda worked.

I'll just drop this issue, since not everyone is on the same page...

[Zadok, I once loved adding a lot of smilies, and I'm afraid I discovered the limit before you. :)]

D

Duel

Sorry, I just don't see the same thing, I guess. To me, those articles prove they ARE casual. Instead of maintaining a dignified seperation they got down and dirty, for lack of a better phrase.

I

Istanbul

Aku Djinn / Propaganda / Spike Cannibal?

Hmph.

Aku Djinn / Ensnaring Bridge. There IS no third part. :)
"Sure, I'll never attack with him. That was never the point..."

R

rakso

Just to add to this discussion...

I think Duke has one very good point. Whether or not the articles were in jest, one gets the impression that an underlying stereotype is CASUAL = SCRUB.

Here in Manila, I recently e-mailed a comment from Darwin Kastle regarding his Type I Invitational deck, and it was dismissed by the tourney players who said that they didn't have time to listen to a casual player's discussion (I was the casual player not Darwin) because they were busy with Nationals.

Pathetic, huh?

I'm sure all of you will disagree with the idea that your casual player is some guy who kept a few old commons, or who insists on creating a Domain or a Thallid deck because he doesn't have a clue as to what good cards are.

What I'm saying is that I don't like it when articles reinforce this mentality, even if it's just a joke.

D

DÛke

...kind of my point, Rakso.

It's not really the joking or not, it's the way they're looking at casual players.

Duel, "going down and dirty", huh? That doesn't prove a thing...they came down alright, with "jokes", and "dirty" - yeah, I guess you could call those jokes dirty. :)

Casual players KNOW what's up. I look at Gizmo as a great example of a casual player. He IS here, he knows what he's talking about, and yet, you know his spirit...I think he's pretty casual. All that, and he's still a very respected tourny player. How casual is THAT? Very, in my opinion.

C

Chaos Turtle

Perspective time...

You know, if the articles were "stereotyping" blacks, jews, women, gays, Tibetan Buddhists, or some other genuinely oppressed minority group, then I'd say we have something to complain about.

But please, "reinforcing a stereotype?" It's not as if we are going be denied opportunities if such a stereotype exists. Have you seen someone at the Pro Tour with a banner reading "Go Home Casual Scrubs!" Maybe a water fountain at your local card shop that says "Pros Only, NO Scrubs."

So if you feel pandered-to, belittled, or otherwise brought down, in all honesty, get the hell over it. Excercise your sense of humor and have a little fun with your life. If something like this makes you mad, then I'd imagine you would have real coping problems in the world, where sterotypes have made the lives of hundreds millions of people a living hell.

Thank you.

Peace and Love and .\\agic.

D

Duel

Thanks, Chaos, that was kinda the point I was trying to make to Duke and Istanbul (hey, did you notice? They finally agreed on something!)

YOU feel belittled when they write to us. But not everyone does, wonder why? If a friend of yours had written the same thing, you would have laughed. You yourself said it was only WHO they were that bothered you. That they don't even know what casual is. Stop judging the author and just look at what they wrote. It's funny.

You're reading too much into it, and judging the article by who wrote it. YOU have the mentality that casual players are worse than pros. I don't. I don't believe that casual players are people who don't know what the good cards are. Or that they keep a few old commons (A FEW? I have thousands!). What's more, they never said that they believe this. You're putting words in their mouth. YOU said it, not them.

D

DÛke

...Chaos Turtle, I was over it the second I submitted this article. I needed to let it out, and I did. I'm way over it, so now, take your time and think and surprise all of us, and get over it yourself.

...Duel, you're right. I agree. I didn't put words in their mouth though...the vibrations were solely theirs. All I did is quote.

R

rakso

Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
But please, "reinforcing a stereotype?" It's not as if we are going be denied opportunities if such a stereotype exists. Have you seen someone at the Pro Tour with a banner reading "Go Home Casual Scrubs!" Maybe a water fountain at your local card shop that says "Pros Only, NO Scrubs."
I'm afraid it's a bit serious for me here in Manila, though.

I don't like Type II because I have neither the time nor money to chase after all the new cards. I do enjoy Limited though, and have a near-1700 rating after only three big tournaments. I've beaten the former #1 ranked player in the country/APAC, even, in Sealed Deck play.

However, whenever I say something strategy-related on the Philippine e-group, I get dismissed, even if it's just rules answers.

Once, I debated a tourney organizer on why he felt Rainbow Efreet was the best creature for Extended Draw-Go (for tourneys). I gave a lot of points and he responded heatedly, and eventually just ended, "I said I want to beat Oath!!!" I responded that you can still kill Morphling if Oath gets played and that you have less dead cards in that matchup, but he wasn't responding with logic anymore.

The same player, when I was giving a kid some advice, told me in public, "For a casual player, you sure don't talk like one."

So it does hurt a little, and I will stress the point.

D

Duel

I dunno. I never really sat back and considered the difference. Intelligent players are often casual players as well. I mean, this place is a living example of that. Chaos Turtle, Rakso, hell, ALMOST EVERYONE here falls under that category.

I see your point, but do we really care what people who are stubborn enough to try and maintain a bias against some of the clearest-thinking players there are.

R

rakso

Originally posted by Duel
I see your point, but do we really care what people who are stubborn enough to try and maintain a bias against some of the clearest-thinking players there are.
Maybe I personally do, when I notice that 90% of the country's tourney players hold such a stereotype and you can't even e-mail your own country's Magic e-group because of it.

Do you realize that when I forward messages from pros, they dismiss these as casual ideas simply because I was the one who forwarded these? Pretty strange, but that is the nature of a stereotype.

D

Duel

huh. Well, I have very little contact with them, and if they choose not to consider my ideas because of who I am, I feel that that is their problem, not mine.

If it is such a problem, though, then you have some backing for your dislike of the advertising on the front page. On the other hand, though, this could be our opportunity to blur the lines. Get some pros and casual players together. Maybe.

R

rakso

It is funny. All my batch mates from the university are casual players, and they have suddenly begun to play again after five years.

What happens?

The pro wannabees who hang out at the mall try to gyp them into buying all their overpriced new cards, and even Tempest-era uncommons.

D

Duel

Russell's Rule of Resumes: No matter what the requirements, Jerks will infiltrate every organization or group.