OnBC: Goblins

R

Rakamir

I started a thread on OnBC Elves, but does anyone care? I know that this is finals time and all, and summer's around the corner complete with tube tops and short shorts and all the distractions therein, but really, Block season is but 6 weeks away, and if you think this balanced metagame is one you can just walk into with a minimum of playtesting and do well in, you're fooling yourself. It will be much tougher than you think, even with the emasculation of blue.

Yah, Elves are decent. Very much so. Goblins, however, are pure raw speed. Anything "tempo," like Carbonize, gets us away from that, and I'm loathe to play that card.

Also, if you go to the link above, there are several issues I have with an otherwise well thought out article, i.e., e.g., the statement that you can play Blistering Firecat over Clickslither if you wish. Please don't do this unless you are 100% certain you will face no Astral Slide decks. 'Cat works in T2 Sligh decks thanks to the lower odds you'll face Slide. In Block, Slide is the closest you'll get to a "Control" deck that has good odds against the field. Technically an Aggro-Control deck leaning toward Control, it fears not Stabilizer (it'll just side out the 8 enchantments making your artifacts dead cards) and will adjust, you'll see.

N

Nightstalkers

Never had much opposition from the slide decks. Hey, when I can take out a slide deck with a 15 minute crap cleric deck, I'm not worried about it at all. The only hard part about it was the fact that I had to wait sooo long to deck'em before the next round. 2/0 for me :D

T

train

The advantage i have against that is that the the storms/rifts/slice and dice do pick off the gobbos... the silver knights then sit pretty with the elementals, and don't get overwhelmed...

I'm also running the black knights... 8 first strikers is awfully nice to have against weenies/gobbos...

ASkroma's blessing is just the cherry on top...

R

Rakamir

Oh, I WISH they reprinted Black Knight! You meant White Knight, I'm sure.

T

train

Well... sinc eI'm running these in a W/R deck - they'd also better be White Knights...

"Don't know what I was smoking... but I want more...":D ;)

R

Rakamir

I'm considering changing my Goblin deck over to this:

B/R Goblins
An Onslaught Block Constructed deck, as played by mastermag on 2003-06-14

4th Place at Online in E-league, as reported at http://www.e-league.com

Creatures:
4 Goblin Goon
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Skirk Prospector
4 Goblin Sledder
4 Sparksmith
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Warchief
3 Siege-Gang Commander

Spells:
4 Shock

Lands:
2 Swamp
4 Bloodstained Mire
15 Mountain
4 Goblin Burrows

Sideboard:
4 Misguided Rage
4 Form of the Dragon
3 Goblin Pyromancer
3 Cover of Darkness
1 Siege-Gang Commander

(Last legal set in Onslaught Block: Scourge)

Cover of Darkness gets your dudes past Mulch walls, Dawn Elementals, Silver Knights and anything else prot-Red or Prot-Goblins, quite nicely. Sweet!

T

train

As long as they don't have instant enchantment removal it does...;)

R

Rakamir

I’m posting this under both “OnBC: Beasts” and “OnBC: Goblins,” so kindly post thoughts re each build under the appropriate thread, if you’d be so kind. Thanks.

Before I even begin testing what will probably be the most common match-up at the PTQ’s not named “mirror,” I’d appreciate feedback on these decks, their boards, what I’m putting in, and what I’m taking out of the main decks. Thanks in advance. If you decide to make changes, I’d appreciate knowing what you’d remove for what you'd put in, and why. “It’s easy to criticize, harder to improve.”

BEASTS
Berkowitz/Bright/Me

4 Shock
4 Wirewood Elf
4 Krosan Warchief
4 Thoughtbound Primoc
4 Canopy Crawler
4 Ravenous Baloth
4 Tephraderm
4 Avarax
3 Feral Throwback
4 Contested Cliffs
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Tranquil Thicket
3 Forgotten Cove
5 Mountain
5 Forest
Board
3 Wirewood Savage
4 Naturalize
4 Broodhatch Nantuko
4 Gempalm Incinerator

SUBS vs. Goblins:
-3 Feral Throwback -1 Avarax -4 Wirewood Elf
+4 Gempalm Incinerator +4 Broodhatch Nantuko

GOBLINS
Walamies/Peppermint/Osyp/Me

4 Shock
4 Skirk Prospector
4 Goblin Sledder
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Sparksmith
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Goon
4 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Goblin Burrows
2 Forgotten Cave
18 Mountain
Board
4 Threaten
2 Rorix Bladewing
2 Clickslither
4 Sulfuric Vortex
3 Stabilizer

SUBS vs. Beasts
-4 Gempalm Incinerator
+4 Threaten

R

Rakamir

To answer Huey Jensen's outrageous claim that Goblins cannot beat Silver Knights, I offer:

1) Win ..... very fast.
2) Doom Chisel
3) Attack with hoard. Siege-Gang Commander makes hoard.

Give me time, and I'll think of more stuff, but ...

It's not bloody likely I'll play his GW Veggies deck if it has zero chance vs Beasts, as he claims. Also, he claims he took out 2 walls of mulch, but I still see four. Whatttttever.

R

Rakamir

"As e're it were at Lido Isle, as ever e're it shall be..."
... Wm. Shakepeare

OK, Shakespeare didn't really write that, but had he done so, he would have been a great prognosicator, meaning, just as at Venice, Goblins crushed Beasts game one and vice versa games 2 and 3.

Game 1: Beasts never found a green mana source, and Goblins "goldfished" in 6 turns. It was indecent.

Game 2: Keeping a one land hand (with Skirk Prospector), Goblins got in some heavy early damage, but Beasts got the Baloth down, and Thoughtbound Primoc (Zvi is wrong, Bright is right - keep the Primoc, lose the Tusker) and especially Cliffs. The boarded Incinerators worked great. Take THAT Piledriver, and I'll draw more beasts as well. Broodhatches were more of an annoyance to Gobbos, but helped keep Goons from atacking or blocking. Cliffs were only used once to kill something, and could have been used more, but keeping toe-to-toe with Gobbos on critters to nullify Goon took priority. It was sick, the way Beasts could toy with the deck post-boarding. I am convinced now that a less-than-optimal Beasts build with play errors can win PTQ's, the deck is so strong.
In Goblin's defense, after a tight opening hand, the deck drew into more lands that it wanted. Gobbos rarely get mana-screwed, but mana flood sometimes come to call on us all. Ya'll.

Game 3 - Mana-screw for Gobbos. Not a good thing. Stuck at four lands, Seige-Gang Commanders are much less effective in hand than in play. Beasts rule, with Incinerators and Shocks handling everything that came down, with Crawler and Cliffs mopping up. Four Baloths didn't hurt either. Again, Beasts' having more critters hurts Goon. If Slide goes by the wayside, perhaps Blistering Firecat should be considered. As if Silver Knight weren't bad enough. Sheesh.

I'm repeating this message at "OnBC: Beasts."

R

Rakamir

Gerard Fabianio has a very nice post-Detroit article at www.togit.com about this fading-but-ubiquitous-yet-cheesy archetype and I strongly recommend everyone planning to play in the next PTQ season reads it. It includes issues it has in a post-Detroit world and how to re-design it given those results:

http://www.togit.com/reports/GF_July03Week3.html

GOBLINS
22nd - Detroit
Gerard Fabiano

21 Mountain
3 Goblin Burrows
4 Skirk Prospector
4 Goblin Sledder
2 Sparksmith
4 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Clickslither
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Piledriver
3 Goblin Sharpshooter
3 Shock

Sideboard:

4 Sulfuric Vortex
3 Rorix Bladewing
1 Mountain
4 Starstorm
3 Threaten

"If I were to change anything I would take out both Sparksmiths - they were the worst thing since pants with no pockets. +1 Grappler, +1 Shock, maybe a main deck Rorix to finish off the improvements." ... Gerard Fabiano