Old Video Games

Killer Joe

I have a Super NES that my wife bought for me as a 'gag' gift (this was before she realized that she married a "Gamer"! ;)
Anyway, I haven't played it since the incident*, but last week I rented "Zelda: A Link To The Past"
Man, I forgot how much fun these games are, anyone own an old video game player?
TomB: I just know you're going to say you loved "Tanks" or "Pong" j/k ;) (I think it'll really be Spiderman)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I never played Pong or Tanks...

In fact, I have never owned a console machine.

The only game I really played on one was the old Spiderman on a Sega? back in 95. Took a LONG while, but I finally beat it (it was my roommate's machine, hence I had lots of time to play it).

However, stand-up arcade machines I played a-plenty. And my two favorite are Donkey Kong and Elevator Action. I always check out eBay to see if any are up for auction... not like I can afford to get one though :)

After those I liked Dig Dug, Q*Bert, and BurgerTime. Oh, and Ikiri Warriors. There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head.

Killer Joe

Back in the Day, I used to hang-out in a bar in Downtown Pittsburgh and in the front they had Mrs. Pac-Man/Pac-Man/and Defender, needless to say, I spent more time playing those games than I did.......well, whatever it is that you do at a bar.

B

Baskil

I'd have to add Spy Hunter into this. It was one of the first games I was addicted to ask a kid. I guess I was drawn in by the monochrome graphics.

N

nodnarb24

So many great classics out there, Pac-man, Dig Dug, Joust, Spy hunter, frogger, and many many more. The atari was one of the coolest consules because it had all the classics. I wish I still had mine, I guess I'm going to have to borrow my neighbor's.

H

Hetemti

The old games are the best. Period.

Get an old NES and play Solomon's Key. Now. Do it. You must! Everyone reading this! Get on eBay and get an NES and Solomon's Key! Download an emulator if you must, just start playing!

S

sageridder

I still dust off the old nes,and even the intellivision from time to time.

D

Darsh

C'mon sonny, let me tell ya 'bout the good old days, back when the only 3-d game was Starfox, we didn't need any of these new-fangled "lighting effects" or "realistic physics" nope, and we didn't need controllers with 10 buttons we had 2 A and B and liked it, in the good old days our games didn't need to "load" just sometimes you had to blow the dust off of them or take them out and put them back in and pray they worked, we didn't need any "memory cards" either the game had a password or you beat it in one sitting No Bathroom Breaks Here, and if you got stuck somewhere in a game you figured it out yourself instead of looking up instructions on the 'net...the only 'net back then was one you shot basketballs into, back then the games were tough not like these easy cakewalks you call games...and even if you wanted to cheat you couldn't get the frickin' game genie to work half the time...you had to put it only halfway in to even get it to start up, and all the games were new and different not like today where you can go to your local store and find 15 different racing games...when Mario came out it STARTED the platform genre, back then sequels were sequels...not like today where a "sequel" is adding 5 new levels and adding a "2" on the title, so c'mon sonny, come back to the begginning of it all embrace the classics, Pong, Mario, Zelda, Dragon Warrior, and the like, come experience the utopia.

C

Chaos Turtle

I just got rid of my Atari 2600 last year...

Adventure
Warlords
Space Invaders
Combat
Pitfall (!!!!!!!)
Raiders of the Lost Ark

and a couple dozen others...

The new games don't even compare...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But they were a lot of fun! :D

I too, remember Asteroids, and Tron, Defender, and BattleZone (which I believe is the tank game YJ was talking about ;)). I remember Centipede, and Millipede, and, of course, the various Pac-Mans. There was this one Fantasy video game (I think it was called Ghosts and Goblins, or something like that) that I was hooked on for a while, and I remember this tabletop football game you played by spinning a rollerball really fast, which made the ball carrier run in the direction you pointed him (it?).

That one was a blast!

My personal favorites, though, were the pinball games. Eight-ball anyone? How about Kingpin? Man, I think at one time I played all of them. They only cost a quarter to start, and if you were good that's all you'd have to put into them, since it was a lot easier to win games off of them back then.

I didn't really get into Atari that much, though I do remember a golf game for it that wasn't too bad, and of course Space Invaders (and Pitfall!!!!!!!). On the NES it was Zelda, always Zelda.

Ahhh, those were the days...:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gauntlet was almost the first multiplayer game... with that speedy little elf dude that always snatched up the treasure after your hard-working Valkerie shot the "gibbering giblets" down...

And Dragon's Lair was about the first game where they had a big TV video monitor so the whole arcade could watch the dude play...

And I like the Pac-Man sequel that had the arcade AND a pinball machine...

M

Mr_Pestilence

I actually had "Pong" (boy, that makes me feel old!).

Ayway, I also had the original 8-bit Nintendo system, Super Nintendo, Sega Saturn, the 32-bit upgrade for it, a Playstation and now a Dreamcast. I managed to trade/sell each of these off when they still had some value.

My first favorite arcade games were Space Invaders and Zaxxon. After that, I was HEAVILY into Gauntlet, and to a lesser extent, Gauntlet II. Smash TV was also a lot of fun, and I loved Gyruss.

I would like to have a Gauntlet one day, but they're still pretty pricey.

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey, did anyone else here ever own a ColecoVision?

Just wondering...

H

Hetemti

I had an Adam Computer, which could play Coleco and Atari! w00t!

M

Mundungu

I had a European system that was like 10 time worse than the ATARI, even though it came after.

I think it was a Thomson or something like that.

There were some cool games though.

My biggest hook up though was King Of Persia, that I played on my 086 with 4 grey levels CGA graphic display .....

I played it without end until I finished the s"ck"r.

Then came simcity ....

But my passion for gaming came when I saw "Invader" and "Pong" during a holidya with my parents ...

I must have been 8 or 9 then ...
It all comes from there

S

Sammy Dead-O

I still play my old NES pretty regularly...usually Punch-Out! and Dr. Mario (love it on the Gameboy, too). Super Mario Brothers 2, however, is probably my favorite video game ever.

If anyone has a Gameboy and wants a nice jolt of retro fun, get Super Mario Brothers Deluxe. It's an excellent rendition of the original SMB, with some cool new features.

H

Hetemti

I'm hoping the next Mario game will be in SMB2 format. It's been too long since they used an altrenate format...that, and Snifits rock!

T

theorgg

8-bit NES was the best system ever made!

And Snes was almost as good. I love those two.

I believe the Tank game was actually called Tank, as I have the Atari cart for it in a dror upstairs. Either that or Combat!. I just noticed, the word dror looks really weird... :) I think it might have two "o"s...

Anyway, there is a possibility for you to get an emulator of all of your old classic game systems at www.plasticman.org if you want to putit on your computer.

They are really great things, emulators.

And the Zsnes one lets you save at ANY TIME ANY WHERE! on ANY GAME!

It's awesome. ever want to beat that fighting game? keep trying over and over untill you hit the mofo! If you didn't, reload it!

Anyway, I need to come to this forum more often...

I

Istanbul

SNES was one of the best systems ever made. It consistently outperformed the Sega Genesis (its most direct competitor) when it was out, coming out with such titles as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III.

I still have my old 8-bit Nintendo. Keep yours, if you have one...they're getting harder and harder to find, especially if you want one in working condition.

The Wizard was always the best Gauntlet character. Sure, he was slow, but his shot power and magic ability guaranteed longevity so long as you were smart enough not to charge into battle. The elf came second, then Valkyrie...playing the Barbarian was suicide.

I currently own:
NES
Sega Master System
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Playstation
Dreamcast
Sega Nomad
Game Boy
Game Gear
Turbografx-16

And I've already reserved my Game Boy Advance. D@MN, that thing looks cool.