Ogre Battle

T

The Magic Jackal

Is anyone familiar w/ this classic game on snes?
My little brother just bought the N64 version, and I must say it was worth the wait.

T

terzarima

Yeah, its kindof crazy but good game. AUGH 2 more days until its up here in canada I CAN'T WAIT

C

Cateran Emperor

Best game for the SNES. Reputation and Charisma were both absurdly annoying, so I'm glad they're gone, leaving only Alighnment.

As for the N64 one, this is the sweetest game ever! I'm currently on scene 12, and am going pretty strong. The only irritating thing in this one is Soldiers and how freakin' critical they are. Piece of advice, a good way to have soldiers promoted is with a formation like this:

Front Rank: Cataphract, Cataphract, Cataphract
Middle Rank: Soldier, empty, empty
Back Rank: empty, empty, Priest

The soldiers are nearly impossible to kill now, and get promoted decently quickly. Switch leaders between Cleric and a Phalanx depending on if you want a Fighter or an Amazon from the Soldier. Other absurd units include:

F: empty, Cerberus
M: Beast Master, empty, empty
B: Gremlin, empty, Archmage

F: Paladin, Paladin, Paladin
M: empty, empty, empty
B: Diana, empty, Priest

F: Baldr Golem, Baldr Golem
B: Enchanter, empty, empty

F: Wyvern, Black Knight
M: Beast Master, empty, empty
B: empty, empty, Archmage

F: Bahamut, Paladin
B: Vultan, empty, Vultan

F: Tiamat, Black Knight
B: Raven, empty, Raven

Quick other thing I've seen. There are a LOT of Parallels between Lawful and Chaotic Paths. List of them:

Lawful - Chaotic Equivalent

Knight - Berserker
Paladin - Black Knight
Platinum Dragon - Black Dragon
Bahamut - Tiamat
Vultan - Raven
Faerie - Gremlin

There are many more, but those are all I've encountered so far. Lord Jeal the Black Knight is the coolest guy ever! How far have the rest of you seen? Any other parallels? Formations you like?

T

The Magic Jackal

Emporer: Wow, scence 12, that's 10 ahead of me. My little brother is on scence 5 or something, and I thought he played a lot! I also hated reputation and charisma on the snes. I could never get any of the special characters because I always slaughtered all of the enemies which gave me a bad rep. Oh well.

On N64 I'm trying to go totally chaotic. I'm going to see how crazy I can get my army. Lawful is for losers. I would have killed fredrich had I been given the chance! I'd also kill all the people in the towns if they'd let me.....

That reminds me- Do you know how to get undead characters? I remember that vampires kicked ass on the snes one. My little bro says something about your guys having to die in battle or something, but he doesn't have any so I'm thinking he doesn't know what he's talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

C

Cateran Emperor

Okay, Undead work a little differently this time. There are 4 series of Undead

1. Zombie - Skeleton - Ghost

These are the easiest to get. When a human character dies in battle and is not resurrected by the end of the scene, there is a 30% chance they will become a Zombie. If the test fails and you go on to beat another scene without resurrecting, the characters tests again. Basically, if you want a Zombie just don't revive your fallen. After every scene, every dead human character tests again. Very, VERY important to remember, this is irreversible. So if you lose a level 40 Paladin and he becomes a Zombie, you now have a level 40 Zombie! This can be bad at times. Basic stuff on a Zombie:

Zombie
F: Bite x2
M: Bite x1
B: Bite x1

Now, to get the next level, a Skeleton, a Zombie has to be successfully hit by an Pedra Fire based attack. This turns the character into a skeleton.

Skeleton
F: Smash x2
M: Smash x1
B: Smash x1

Finally, to upgrade to a Ghost, a Skeleton must be hit by a Wind based Pedra Thunder attack, such as a Vultan's Wind Shot.

Ghost
F: Nightmare x1
M: Nightmare x1
B: Nightmare x2

Quick notes on these, most importantly is that they do NOT die after a fight. Unlike the original, they have hit points so a Cleric cannot Turn them at the beginning of a fight. Rather, at the end of the battle, if there are any characters left alive in the unit, all Undead in the unit regenerate up to full HP. Note that getting hit by a Pedra Virtue attack (i.e. an Angel Knight's Banish or a regular hit from a Paladin using a Blessed Sword) will be permanently fatal if the wound kills. Hitting a Zombie with 80 HP for 30 with a Paladin does not kill him. The Pedra Virtue attack must be the deathblow. Also, the Ghost can NOT cause damage. It's nightmare attack merely puts an enemy to sleep (making them fairly useless, a Gremlin's Abyss attack causes sleep and damage)

2. Seraph - Angel Knight

Creation of a Seraph requires a Needle of Light (a rapier). Beyond that, I forget the rest of the conditions, but I believe you can use this on any female class to upgrade to a Seraph. There is either an additional item required or simple level reqirements to become an Angel Knight. This series uses Pedra Virtue attacks.

3. Lich

Just as fun as before, Liches cause massive spell damage using Pedra Bane (opposite of Virtue) based spells. Use a Book of the Dead and a Ring of the Dead on a male character, I think. Not positive.

4. Vampire

Mr. Suck is back, and yes, he's in a coffin during daylight just as before. He requires a Blood Emblem on a male character.

By the way, there are 3 fairly unknown Elite classes in the game. They are insanely rare and difficult to get, and 2 of the classes you can only get one of since only one set of the items exist. There is supposedly a way to get more of the items, but I don't know what it is.

1. Centurion

This is the one non unique character who can lead legions. Enough said. You can get multiples (if you don't know what legions are, just ask)

2. Princess (x1 in game)

Use a Pure White Dress and a Dream Crown on any Female character. All of her attacks are Pedra Virtue, and I believe she does teh same fun effect she did in the original. If she leads a unit, that entire unit get an additional round of attacks. This means FOUR attacks for Paladins in the front rank, and she does affect herself.

3. Dragoon (x1 in game)

Use the Sword of Tiamat, Dragon Armor, and Dragon Helm on any Male character. Those may not be the names of the items exactly, but they're all Dragon related, so you'll know them if you see them. Additionally, Dragoons require an insane set of statistics, with Strength higher than a Black Knight, Vitality higher than a Paladin, Agility higher than a Ninja Master, and Dexterity higher than a Sword Master. Needless to say, this guy kicks ass! He attacks 3 times in the front rank, and I've gotten almost 170 damage in one hit! he'll mow through anything in his way. Thankfully, the enemy has none :D

T

The Magic Jackal

Thanks for the help emporer. Undead doesn't seem as good as it does as in the orginal snes. All you had to do was have a front line of ghosts, stack up on world tarot cards, and you were invincible from physical atttacks. Now they die in battle :( At least they come back when they die.

T

The Magic Jackal

are insanely powerful. They reduce any unit's power to 1or2 if they are in the back, but they lose all their power. Be sure to have a priest or cleric in a group w/ them so they don't die. Insanely powerful. Almost as good as the good ol' cockatrice (I can't seem to catch any of those). Oh well, my chaotic plan is going well as most of my guys have turned into black knights. Hehehehehehe. The only draw back is that dio left the group :( and the old wizard guy didn't join my group :( Who needs em anyway? I've got my legion of black knights, which are led by lucifer (my opinion leader's name). MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

C

Cateran Emperor

I'm working on my own chaotic group. I'm getting mad since Dio left, he was cool! I heard he comes back, but I really want to know when.

Pumpkin Men annoy me. Their back row attack is just unfair. Piece of advice, don't engage them without extremely resilient frontline troops. I've got a unit with 3 Paladins in the front rank, nothing in the middle, and a Sword Master (he looks cool as heck) and a Priest in the back rank. The unit just CAN'T DIE. It's not physically possible I found out.

T

The Magic Jackal

Hey, Magnus's father died! That's what happens when your chaotic. Baldwin just came up and stabbed him. That's not cool, he joined my team when i was lawful! Anyway, magic combination are the way to go. Try to get as many siren/archmages as possible, and put one on back right and back left. Then put some good defensive creatures in the front, like cataphracts, paladin/knight/blacknight, and undead. The trick is to get the right combination to work. If you do, it will produce a powerful effect. Here's how it works

flame and water repel
wind and earth repel
flame combines with wind and earth
water combines with wind and earth
wind combines with flame and water
earth combines with flame and water
bane combines with all

keep in mind that wizard/sorceress attacks hit one person and all adjacent when combined, but archmage/siren attacks hit all when combined.

water x2 or x3- ice feild hits everyone
flame x2 or x3- flame (forgot name) hits everyone
wind x2 or x3- thunder flare hits everyone
earth x2 or x3- cragpress hits everyone
bane x2 or x3- dark quest hits everyone

flame w/ wind- inferno, paralizes some enemies
flame w/ earth- ?
flame w/ bane- dark flame, power down to some enemies
water w/ bane-?
water w/ wind- atomsphere, some enemies fall asleep
water w/ earth- clay assult? power down to some enemies
earth w/ bane-?
wind w/ bane- plasma storm, paralizes some enemies

these are the combinations w/ the sirens/ archmages
wizards/sorceress will do a similar move but it will be less powerful. valkaries/freyas, ninja masters, and black knights can also combine, but it happens less frequently.

C

Cateran Emperor

flame x2 or x3 = Firestorm

Personally, I dislike mages. I prefer Ninja Masters in teh back rank, simply because they still kick ass if you're hit from the rear. Problem is, they're ludicrously hard to get.

I'm currently on the Lawful path, I think (weird, I wasn't even trying) and Dio isn't coming back. Just before scene 17, he killed Rhade (good riddance) and said he was taking over (?????) Ankiseth died at Baldwin's hand sadly, and things are getting even weirder by the minute. Where are you up to so I don't spoil anything?

T

The Magic Jackal

flame w/ earth- lava flow, paralizes some enemies

I'm on scene 25 or so. I'm just about to close the chaos gate. I dont' want to ruin it for you, so I won't say what happened to prince yumil. There was a crossing around scence 21 or so, where you could go on the plains or on the mountains. If you go on the plains you get a centurian, 2 dianas, and 2 paladins. If you go in the mountains you fight some really hard mercenaries (level 24-26, I was on about 20-22). On that board you get paul, a kickass enchanter, a ring of the dead (for the lich), and a bunch of good weapons for black knights.
This is the chaotic route. My brother is on the lawful one, and nothing bad has happened to him. I think magic combinations are the best. Plasma storm, atmosphere, and lava flow are really cheap. I always do around 100 to one character and 70 to all the other with them. Half fall asleep, then they do it again and kill most of them. Throw in some ninja masters or paladins and a priest and the group is invincible. The only thing that gives it trouble is cockatrice. Damn birds.

T

The Magic Jackal

Bane doesn't seem to combine w/ earth or water...

There are 4 special types of books that hit the entire enemy unit.
Tempest- wind
white mute- water
annilation- fire
meteor- earth

They are extrememly powerful, but they do not combine w/ any other spells.

C

Cateran Emperor

yeah, I've ran into them. I can't even describe how cool they are...

In retrospect, I've determined that Dragon Tamers/Masters are almost utterly worthless. A Priest is a vastly better leader for a unit of 2 Dragons. Hydra + Flarebrass = Doom :D Clear Disaster and Crimson Note are the best breath weapons, which means that hitting me from any side is death. Sword Masters are ridiculous, I find them better than the almighty Paladins on many occasions.

Still no Dio, I think he defected :( I did get a hot Siren though :cool:

T

The Magic Jackal

I had to fight dio on one board. He was a cool dragoon guy, but he was evil and I had to kill him :(

Dragons are cool, but I think advanced earth dragons are the best It hits most ground units for about 50 and gets powerdown. Nasty indeed. I saw somewhere that it's possible to get debonair and destin to join you. It appears that the game does have a crown frame like the first one, they just don't tell you about it. They way to get crown frame up is to liberate towns and anwer choose the right path. Chaotic/lawful units don't really matter that much. I've heard that Aisha will join you if your cf is high, then saradin, then debonair, and then Destin. I didn't get any of them to join me, so i guess my cf is really low :(

C

Cateran Emperor

That would be cool to have some old buddies back. I want Gilbert though! :D

T

The Magic Jackal

I finally beat the game. I finished w/ a chaos frame of 0. Plus, I got a special ending! If you don't want to know what happens, don't read.

On the last board you fight dankika. After you kill her she explains how she isn't really evil, but humans are the evil ones. Then the game ends and it gives you your ending according to your cf. Since my was 0. It took me back to the board map. The only board i could go to was alba, but on my way i ran into a rebel group (extra board, yeah!). After making my way to the stronghold, I find out that 5 units are there, each one led by a different person: Gilbert, Saradin, Aisha, Deboniar, and Destin. They say they cannot allow you to go to alba since you are so evil and you only know how to solve problems though fighting. Then you fight them all. I didn't get to see what any of them did, since my group was on level 55 and they killed there group (38) way too fast. Awesome ending though.

C

Cateran Emperor

Freaky. I haven't been able to play in several days now, so I'm lagging behind. Is there any way to check your CF?

Also, I heard that the best ending has Danika withdraawing from the world, but telling you that the person behind all this is from your world and is still alive and already fixin' up more mischief...

C

Cateran Emperor

Jesus H. Christ, do you have any idea how to get ALI down? I'm trying to get even one Black Knight, yet it just doesn't work. I've killed 10 levels lower enemies, max-ALI Paladins, and yet I still get ALI up on this Berserker. I'm getting really annoyed. Any ideas left?

Also, I'm apparently unable to get Liches and Vampires, despite meeting all the prerequisites. I have a Ring of the Dead, a Keryokien, and a Book of Bane for the Lich, and the Bloody Emblem and the Count's Garment for a Vampire. How do I actually promote them is the Q though. Automatically after combat, class list, or what? Any help would be good?