*Ransac is flogged by seven, angry, blurred mongeese.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

just trying to be helpful

*pulls a mongoose off Ransac*

T

theorgg

Templating has changed before with several things, and reminder text is one of the ways. (Even though it eventually got a bit odd when Echo was stopped being defined, or mountainwalk, or such in Desteny.) Why couln't the reminder text change? As it is, Memory Chrystal would'nt really reduce the buyback cost of a Capsize, as the reminder text says "you may pay (4) to ...", thus the card MUST have four paid for it to be baught back.

"All flashback costs are reduced by (1)" would work with the reminder text as written, because it just DOES work. Really, the discussion reminds me of the first time I saw Mirage cards and their "mana source" speeds... funny...

Threshold isn't that great in the early game, but in a burn deck(with the right cards) ? Well, I've delt you fourteen, and hit you twice with this 1/1 for three, and now he becomes a six/six and rips your #^<#*#@ head off!... so it goes...
:D

Flashback is somthing that has already been done by yawgmoth in a couple of ways, and in crypts in Mirage. It's about time a non-black card is plaid directly from the grave...

as for the expansion/tombstone, the 'stone is an interesting concept, though a HORRIBLY overcosted card from homelands; The expansion symbol looks good in the chopped up version of one of the cards...

E

Ephrils

Millstone Deck, plus, hopefully, a new Nether Spirit with Threshold = broken :p

"Sure, it's a 2/2 now, wait until I counter more stuff and Mill us more!"

U

urzassedatives

People do the happy dance and accept these cards!
I have, and it is fun!

N

Namielus

I don't like it, but I have 2 very big problems with that arguement.

According to www.domain.com

www.magicodyssey.com is registered to Wizards of the Coast

See this line

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
WIZARDS OF THE COAST (V5168-OR) thompson@wizards.com
WIZARDS OF THE COAST
1801 Lind Ave SW
RENTON, WA 98055
US
425 204 7363 fax: 425 204 5361

That looks legit for the server.

I know that icon of the tombstone is really up in the air right now, but I would argue R&D hasn't finished it yet, that would acount for the lack of copyrighting on the cards....

If I can take a look at the pdf file that wizards release I could tell you more, sadly my time frame for today is at an end. Just email it to me or something.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Hetemti
Persona? I'm me. I'm rude. That's why my list of friends in this world has two names on it. If someone doesn't take the time to read my words and explore their many layers (sometimes layers upon layers) of meaning, then why should I expend energy on the protocol of...not being "rude?" How do I know that my indirectness won't merely confuse the poor soul further?
It never ceases to amaze me how people defend their right to behave rudely, then act amazed/put-upon/indignant when people don't like them.

L

Lotus Mox

Here's another card from the MTGNews Rumor Mill:

Cruelty 3R
Sorcery
Cruelty deals 4 damage divied as you choose among any number of target creatures.
Flashback 3R (You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game.)
Common

This is rumored to be the card inserted in the september issue of Inquest.

C

Chaos Turtle

Not only does Cruelty appear to be a real card, it appears to be a darn good one.

Zadok, I certainly see your point about the Flashback cost not being included in the reminder text. But I see no reason that WotC can't make a change like this. After all, it was once true that everything that said "Counter target spell" on it was an interrupt. (Aside: On cycling, didn't it strike you as a little strange that every single cycling cost was 2? Why not just have tha bility "Cycling" with reminder text explaining that it cost 2?) In any case, I think that repeating Flashback costs in the reminder text would be ugly and cumbersome -- I think the same thing about buyback cards -- so I'm fine with the new style of wording it.

On Threshold and Millstone:

It sounds like a good idea at first, but this has almost certainly been taken into account and tested in the "Future Future Next Tuesday League of the Future" and it's likely been found that such a strategy has certain drawbacks. I'm willing to bet that you can get cards into the graveyard just as efficiently by playing them (non-permanents, of course).

Flashback, in fact, seems like a mechanic that would have more interesting Millstone interactions. Actually, the ability seems designed to screw control decks altogether. Countered? I'll play it from the graveyard. Forced to discard it? I'll play it from the graveyard.

With two abilities like this in the set, it seems a certainty that removing cards from the graveyard will be a theme on some cards as well.

One more note, in anticipation of the argument that's dominated this subject on the MTGnews board. The Flashback wording does not remove the spell from the stack before it resolves. First, it's an ability, not an instruction. Second, it's reminder text, not rules text.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Lotus Mox
Here's another card from the MTGNews Rumor Mill:

Cruelty 3R
Sorcery
Cruelty deals 4 damage divied as you choose among any number of target creatures.
Flashback 3R (You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game.)
Common

This is rumored to be the card inserted in the september issue of Inquest.
WOW. Me likey very much. It'd be better if it were creatures or players...trading out sorcery vs. instant would make up for the power difference.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
With two abilities like this in the set, it seems a certainty that removing cards from the graveyard will be a theme on some cards as well.
I sure hope so. I was disappointed not to see Planar Void reprinted in 7th...here's hoping it comes back in Odyssey. And Dissipate.

L

Lotus Mox

forget Cruelty, it's fake.

The artwork is apparently from the Middle Earth rulebook and the font doesn't look exactly like on a real card.

Not to mention that it would be way too powerful in limited to be common (which doesn't make this card impossible, just unlikely)

D

Dead

I like the way these two mechanics run at cross purposes- you want to keep cards in the grave for threshold, whereas the flashback ability strips it bare. Question is which ends up with the better card set- we had a similar vein in prophecy with some cards pushing you to tap out, whilst rhystic punished you for doing so.

I'm glad they're getting the graveyard to do more tho. i've always liked graveyard manipulation stuff, although i'm not so sure my altars of dementia will be as much fun when i'm dumping flashback cards into their grave for them... still, any mechanic that partially gets around counterspelling is fine by be (unless there's a flashback counterspell :-()

Z

Zadok001

"In any case, I think that repeating Flashback costs in the reminder text would be ugly and cumbersome -- I think the same thing about buyback cards -- so I'm fine with the new style of wording it. "

I'm fine with the new style - I just don't trust the fact that it's changed. :) It seems like a flaw in the rumor. I mean, they've always put the cost in the reminder text, and there's no real reason NOT to. It's a bit ugly, but I'd hate to see all the REMINDER text errataed...

C

Chaos Turtle

Bummer, I really liked that one. But you're right, it's the exact same picture, only cropped and mirror-imaged. Oh well. Now, if a fake that good (it does appear to be an actual card -- see the rounded corners, and black expansion symbol identical to the gold version -- only altered) can be made, I wonder how likely it is that the already-famous Odyssey Promo poster could also be fake.

Hmm...