Odyssey: 2 rumored cards + mechanics.

L

Lotus Mox

From an MTGNews Rumors thread:

Seize the Day 3R
Sorcery
Untap target creature. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase
Flashback 2R (You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game.)
Rare

Krosan Beast 3G
Creature - Squirrel Beast
Threshold - Krosan Beast gets +7/+7. (You have threshold as long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard.)
Those who see the squirrels go underground in the winter aren't ready for what emerges in the spring
1/1
Rare

Both cards demonstrate the 2 rumored Odyssey mechanics Threshold and Flashback.

Fake or not, whaddaya think?

H

Hetemti

I don't like the way Flashback is worded...but the card is useful. I want four Carpe Diem. Unless it's actually useless...then it will be "Crapæ Diem." :)

Krosan shouldn't be a Squirrel Beast. We only see dual types with Legends and Gold cards, nowadays. Not that it's impossible...but I don't see the point. Squirrel decks don't want to wait to fill the graveyard...and dead squirrel tokens don't help the Krosan get it's bonus. Also...why does it say that I have Threshold...I'd rather the Krosan get it.

Additionally, the Expansion logo looks fake. The white around it doesn't blend with the background like it should. And there's a disgusting grey thing by the name of Carpe.

I won't say they are fake...but they seem fishy.
Perhaps they are ßeta prints that got out. They seem to have square corners...

L

Lotus Mox

These cards were released in .pdf format (by WotC (?)) which explains the weird look of the expansion symbol and the unusal font.

The grey thing besides the word Seize is a tombstone, Flashback cards are rumored to have a tombstone by their names to make them easier to find in your graveyard.
(If this turns out to be reality, I'll quit magic (j/k), but it sucks IMO :mad: ).

H

Hetemti

...maybe I should put a tombstone by my butt just in case two hands and a flashlight aren't availiable.

That doesn't make them easier to find...besides...if you use one, you should remember it's there.

And PDF is crap. It's almost as bad of compression as RLE. And obviously it doesn't prevent someone from copying the picture.

...oops...I done bumped the printscreen key. Wonder what that does...

Z

Zadok001

I question those things, for many reasons. The most obvious reason is the wording - "You have Threshold?" That's _almost_ as bad as Goblin Game. *sigh*

H

Hetemti

Check it out! This new script allows d00ds to edit your posts without it saying who edited it and when! Now you can be totally under other people's thumbs! You WILL love ßig ßrother! The First Amendment? Down the Memory Hole with you!

Mi burro is very sad he was extricated. And without hands nor flashlights, he may very well be lost forever. :( ¡Lo siento!

L

LlanowarGoblin

Those are some nice looking fakes. If the abilities are accurate this would more likely be the wording.

Threashold - 7 (<this> gets +7/+7 as longs as there are 7 or more cards in your graveyard)

That is only slightly different but more in line with the way WotC does things.

As for Flashback, that could be something WotC would do. Probably worded differently. Something along the lines of:

Flashback 2R (you may pay <this>'s Flashback cost only if <this> is in your graveyard. If you do, treat <this> as though it were just cast, then remove <this> from the game.)

A little wordy but it would clear up more of the questions.

What is with the symbol in the top corner???

U

Ura

That little symbol in the top left corner is actually a symbol on almost all modifiable .pdf files.
I have a 3rd edition D&D character sheet that is designed to be able to have data input into it and do calculations so you can print it out as hardcopy or save it seperatly as the main file won't let you overright it.
The only difference is that on my character sheet the symbol is green insted of grey.
Its quite possible that someone made up a card on a similar style .pdf and then just took a screen shot trimming off sides where the control bars would be and then submitted it as authentic. The lack of the symbol on the second card is possible by simple picture editing and explains why that corner looks a tad more blury. In general the entire quality of the card pictures is pixled in areas around the text and mana symbols especially, this is a sure fire indication of modification and/or tampering.
Just an educated theory though.

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by Hetemti
...oops...I done bumped the printscreen key. Wonder what that does...
when you press the print screen key, your computer takes a screen shot of the currently active window and attaches it to the clipboard. if you, for whatever reason, what to save an image of the active window, just go to a program like photoshop or ms photo editor, click 'new', and then click 'paste' or the clipboard icon.

i've used this button once in my life, to send someone a picture of my desktop. i honestly don't know why it's standard on keyboards, although i suppose some people find it handy.

H

Hetemti

It's standard on keyboards because it was used in DOS days, and the keyboard's been standardized.

Scroll Lock is much more useless.

And, BTW, I was being sarcastic. In reference to someone hitting printscreen to get a copy of a PDF graphic easily for JPEGging and posting. Someday, when you've more posts, you'll know how to tell when I'm being sarcastic. Maybe.

C

Chaos Turtle

There is nothing wrong with the wording of the Threshold reminder text. It simply serves to remind you of the simple fact that Threshold is always 7 cards in your graveyard.

The little tombstone symbol is a great idea. (Yes, it really is a tombstone, though in the grainy pic it does resemple that little .pdf symbol as Ura mentioned). Many players (including myself) play with their graveyard layered so that the names of the cards in it can be easily read, to make playing decks which make use of cards in the graveyard much easier. Why put it there instead of relying on players to simply remember it's there? Imagine the PreRelease, with everyone looking through every single card in your graveyard, trying to determine whether it can be played from there. The layered-graveyard technique combined with the helpful symbol will keep the amount of time wasted to a minimum. Obviously, it will be similarly helpful in most play environments.

Krosan Beast looks strong, but is hardly broken. It has a low mana cost, but you only get a 1/1 unless you have the Threshold, which I imagine will be a little harder to get than you might think. Play a few games (without Millstone). Note how many turns pass before you actually have 7 cards in your graveyard. Unless you are getting really bad draws - or a lot of your stuff is being countered/killed - it will probably be 10 turns or more at least. Until then, it's just an offensively overcosted weenie.

Actually, this could serve as a counter-strategy to Millstone decks, which seem to be gaining in popularity.

Unless there is a big cheap Threshold creature that can't be targetted, I wouldn't worry too much. Terminate seems to handle most creatures very efficiently.

Everyone presenting "easy" ways to get lots of cards in the graveyard, you are demonstrating how dificult it is. Ancestral Memories? Please. This card was never any good outside of TurboZvi (the infamous Dream Halls engine deck that killed by boring your opponent to death). Brainstorm, maybe, but how much you wanna bet that blue's Threshold creatures suck? There will probably be a way of removing cards from players' gravyards, as well, Phyrexian Furnace style (notice how wonderfully such a card could balance Flashback cards, too).

I think the animal in the poster is a "Cat Beast." :p

(note: Some of this message is a cut-n-paste from my post at MTGnews' forums. This should explain any references to things that no one here has brought up yet, e.g. Ancestral Memories.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hetemti:
Check it out! This new script allows d00ds to edit your posts without it saying who edited it and when! Now you can be totally under other people's thumbs! You WILL love ßig ßrother! The First Amendment? Down the Memory Hole with you!
Turtlewax Joe already figured that out in Off-Topic :rolleyes: Instead of complaining about "First Amendment" rights on the Internet (which Ed already explained a LONG time ago that they don't really apply), why don't you spend your energy thinking up synonyms for "curse" words and using them instead?

Someday, when you've more posts, you'll know how to tell when I'm being sarcastic. Maybe.
And this was a tad rude, methinks. A better way to say it would have been "When you've spent more time on the site and gotten to know my persona better,"

Z

Zadok001

In the past, references to additional costs or alternate costs have always been listed in the reminder text AS THAT COST.

What do I mean? Look at a Kicker card- Jilt, for example. In the reminder text of kicker, it has 1R, NOT "kicker cost" or something similar. Ditto Buyback, Cycling, and every other cost-related single word ability in the past. I would expect Flashback to the worded the same way - "You may play this card from your graveyard for 2R." Agree/disagree?

"Still not convinced..."

H

Hetemti

The Small poster has the copyright lines obliterated too. Why?

Synonyms for "curse" words make no sence when they are part of a reference or quote.

And I wouldn't give a [Edited by Hetemti] if something like that popped up to make it clear that the authors words have been raped and denuded to some other resonable facsimile.

A better way to say it would have been "When you've spent more time on the site and gotten to know my persona better,"
Persona? I'm me. I'm rude. That's why my list of friends in this world has two names on it. If someone doesn't take the time to read my words and explore their many layers (sometimes layers upon layers) of meaning, then why should I expend energy on the protocol of...not being "rude?" How do I know that my indirectness won't merely confuse the poor soul further?

Eh...someday people will realize that direct communication is more efficient. Until then, the expansion and tombstone logo looks fake to me. The Expansion has too wide a border, the tombstone it too well defined, and niether have the type of blending they should.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Explain to me how "maybe I should put a tombstone by my butt" is a reference or quote. If it is, it seems like it's a mighty obscure one.

Look, I don't want this to get into a flaming war. Fine, you're rude and insulting (because although you didn't say the latter, that's how you come across). If a person who "doesn't have many posts and is new here" doesn't know you, how the heck are they supposed to take the time to "read your layers and layers" to see that you're just being sarcastic?

Look at Ransac, to us that have had him here for a while, we know he's basically harmless (except in the beginning when we didn't know him). And the MTGNews people were all upset because of his perceived "spamming" when he went over there.

And personally, I don't see how my way of rephrasing your end phrase would make it more "obscure". It says the same thing, only nicer.

M

Mr_Pestilence

If they're true, I lik'em!

Flashback is kinda like buyback, but much less potentially abusive. Anything that brings the graveyard nito pl;ay as a resource is alright by me. I just hope there isn't a flashback counterspell, but we all know there will be.

Threshhold is just another way of saying "under this particular condition", just like all those domain spells (if you control a basic land of each type...).

E

EricBess

What's not to like???? (Please, nobody answer that. He's hard enough to get along with as is... ;))

My prediction at a flashback counterspell:

BB1
Counter target spell
Flashback: BB2

Of course, the flashback card we have seen has a flashback cost lower than the regular cost. That could be to make it harder to cast in the first place, so I suppose there may be reason to think that the costs are reversed.

You: Duress

Me: Hmmm... All I'm holding is this Flashback counterspell and I don't have enough mana to cast it. I guess you'll have to take it. Now I have enough to cast it!!!

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I think you mean UU1 casting cost and UU2 casting cost EricBess, the B is only used for black mana and the U for blue, unless you meant it to be a black counter, but anyway i'm just trying to be helpful. I think that counter with flashback looks reasonable