Not MTGO

O

orgg

I'm "CPAlliance The Orgg" on Magic Online; the name is a long story, but vets here will remember the situation.

I run the CPA clan, though it doesn't do that much as most members arn't online very much.

turgy22

Nothing Special
My MTGO handle is turgy22, same as my username here and everywhere else, for that matter.

As far as the prize rules, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure that Pennsylvania isn't on the list, and that's where I live, so I never really worried about it. I don't want to encourage you to do anything illegal, but if I had to guess, I'd say most people disregard the rule. I mean, technically, you're not winning anything... they're "digital objects". I'm pretty sure Wizards want to encourage people to play, so I doubt they're keeping track of which states prize winners reside in and reporting them to the feds. So, Lythand, if I were in your situation, I would click that little button to accept prizes and not give it a second though. It's amazing how much of the MTGO experience you can miss out on by not being able to win prizes. Leagues, release events, booster drafts, premier events... I wouldn't do any of that if there was no chance of getting prizes.

Ferret

Staff member
My issue with MTGO is the same I have with MTGRL: People. I like to play with only people I know and like. Unfortunately, it took me a long to find a decent RL group to play with. So, years went by and I decided to try MTGO. The problem I had there was I had NO CARDS! The only thing I would need to do well here is get a second mortgage on my home. Okay, maybe it wasn't so bad. After spending a few bucks on some cards and doing some great trading (With lots of help from Istanbul) I was able to put together a couple of decks and I was doing okay - but, wait! A new set is out and you have to start over again....this continued for a few sets...

...then I joined the Army and when I got back online after about a year I was a few sets behind. I pulled out my classic deck, but found that if I didn't use certain cards there was no way I'd be able to compete with all of the Timmys out there. So again, people made it impossible to play.

...while in Iraq a friend spent about $700 on old cards. This was good, but the I came home and now I have zero interest in the game...

-Ferret

"...okay, I have some interest, but things like money and people will always be out there..."

R

reco5151216

Well people and money are everywhere, thankfully ebay will sell you half the set for about 26 dollars per block.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Speaking of Apprentice, mine is out of date now and doesn't have Guildpact or Dissension. I used to get it from, I think, E-League, which seems to no longer exist. There was another site that offered it, but I remember that I didn't like theirs as much because they didn't have the same backgrounds and replaced the flavor texts on all the cards with links to their website. So where do the rest of you (who use Apprentice) get updates?

L

Lythand

Oversoul said:
Speaking of Apprentice, mine is out of date now and doesn't have Guildpact or Dissension. I used to get it from, I think, E-League, which seems to no longer exist. There was another site that offered it, but I remember that I didn't like theirs as much because they didn't have the same backgrounds and replaced the flavor texts on all the cards with links to their website. So where do the rest of you (who use Apprentice) get updates?

http://www.magic-league.com/

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That would be the site that replaced all the flavor text with their web address. They replace your decks too, when you download the whole set all over again because you missed a few sets...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Really? I haven't noticed any changes like that... but then, I haven't really been paying attention...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what happened to me last night when I downloaded and reinstalled it. It steamrolled all the old info and overwrote it, leaving me with a bunch of outdated netdecks where the Ponies once did roam...:mad:

N

Nightstalkers

Umm... yeah... most programs do overwrite the data you've got in the folder if you reinstall the program.

I'm not particularly concerned because I have a backup of all my decks in a seperate HDD and even on my network backup drive.

As for the card updates... I've found that they've left out a few cards from a set every now and then...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I try to copy the old data to a folder so I won't lose it in case the new update doesn't work, but I haven't had to go back to it for a long while... I don't use the Netdecks with Apprentice, so maybe that's why I've never noticed it.

L

Lythand

I rather use MTGO myself, but if I were to use a non standard Magic game, then my next choice would be magic work station.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I updated Apprentice using the patch at Magic-League, but now, aside from losing the flavor texts (which is dumb, but not all that bothersome), their version is missing certain cards, like Arena and Nalathni Dragon and...

Okay, I'm mainly talking about Mana Crypt.

Because I just can't have that, I thought of maybe trying Magic Workstation, but it comes with separate components that you have to download individually in order to use the program. Right now I still can't get pictures on the cards...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So it sounds like they're missing the various promo cards?

Maybe you should drop them a line to make them aware, if they aren't already...

N

Nightstalkers

Last time I tried "informing" them that there was a card missing two people stated that I was crazy and that they had the cards in their databases and then 5-6 others said that they had the same card missing.

It was a card from Invasion too.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, let me ask this: does the update from magic-league totally overwrite the cards from e-league or just add on the new expansion (the latter would be what I would expect, but the former is probably since you guys are reporting different card texts and stuff). Because if it totally overwrites the card pool, then I can see how there can be card discrepancies if one person is using the update that's different from another place. But if it just adds on to the card pool without touching the previous expansions, then no one should be missing cards from that far back.

N

Nightstalkers

It replaces the card database, replaces the set database, and a couple other asthetic things.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The file with the card data replaces the old file with its card data, but I saved the old E-league version in another folder as a precaution.

F

Force of Will Smith

i stay away from moto.. a large volume of a holes there..
there are quite a few in workstation as well.. but you know from the beginning with titles like... NOOBS USE PHASES!!!!!!

moto to me is completely worthless.. you pay money when something else exists that you can use ALL the cards (even fake ones between friends if you do it right) and its FREE!.