Not MTGO

R

reco5151216

Beside Magic the Gathering Online(1,2, or the comeing 3) what are other good online Magic programs? Freind said Apprentice but all I can find it the Yu-Gi-Oh(Ewwwww) Client.

O

orgg

I'd side with Magic Online over the 'free' programs.

There's too many idiots who don't know the rules on the non-WOTC items; There's plenty on MOL, too, but Magic Online calls them on their BS.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree.

Use Apprentice if you're playing a friend or someone who knows the rules already.

Use MTGO if you're just looking for a random pick-up game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I can't remember at what set it started. Invasion block? Although it has Mirage and Vision...

G

Gizmo

They're rolling the sets out beginning from Mirage. I can;t wait for Rath Block draft on MTGO...

*drools*

N

Nightstalkers

Magic Workstation is free to try (all you get is advertisements and only one on one gameplay) and $20 to buy. It does not allow you to fully catalog your cards.
http://www.magicworkstation.com/

Magic Suitcase works with Apprentice and allows you to build and test decks. The one downfall is that it does not allow you to play online, but does export to Apprentice format. This program is free.
http://www.magicsuitcase.org/

Apprentice allows you to play games online and is the original free online magic program. The only downside are firewall problems and connection problems to a few people.
http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php

R

reco5151216

MTGO only has about half the cards published...but yeah I've been working around on some of the programs and I think I'll just buy MTGO.

R

reco5151216

But for the free account your put as a guest and you can save a deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nightstalkers's summary is pretty accurate - I would add the caveat about Apprentice (which was alluded to by orgg) that all Apprentice does is allow you to connect computers to each other - it doesn't enforce the rules or tap cards for you or "do all the things MTGO does". It just provides a common virtual "playmat" for you to play on.

An interesting note about Magic Workstation is that it was based on the Magic Suitcase code back around when Suitcase was version 3 or 4 (it's now 8) and the code was open-source back then (it's not now). However, it has (probably obviously once you see both) diverged since then. Thing is, the Suitcase people are VERY touchy about it and seem to take an immediate dislike to any Workstation people who tout it on their group :)

L

Lythand

I recently Purchased MTGO. Its a free DL, but here is where they make thier money. You have to by the 9.99 standard set of I think it was 64 cards. Not nearly enough to make a deck. Or a good deck. Then for any other cards you want, you have to purchase the cards. Even though you pay for cards, and no all the cards are available, you can still have a good time with this game. I been playing almost every night 1-5 hours a day. Recently joiuned a clan that has Multiplayer tourneys every night. And if your into T2/Standard, then you can get all the cards you will need. Extended and Standard seem to be the popular formats right now for casual play. I enjoy the game.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Lythand, you fool! You don't have to buy the standard set. That's a mistake I made as well. Actually, you can put that $9.99 credit towards the purchase of anything you want. For my serious money-saving tips, check out this article I wrote a while back.

Real Money, Fake Cards: Maximizing Online Value

Anyway, is Lythand your handle on MTGO? We should play sometime. I'm always looking for opponents who aren't complete a-holes.

N

Nightstalkers

The one thing I extremely dislike about Workstation is the fact that it advertises itself as a card cataloging program... when it can't even catalog foil cards in the same database as non-foil cards. You have to literally reload all your card data into one format or the other to input them.

R

reco5151216

I thought that you could earn cards on MTGO not have to buy them all off of Wizard?

Oh and what do you get if you buy that set at the store?

N

Nightstalkers

The first and last time I reviewed MTGO they asked for a credit card on file and all your personal information before you could even use the "free trial" that was given with the program. That was one of my biggest problems.

Now my other problem is that they don't have all the cards I can choose from... and the fact that you can't get the cards you pay for the program if in the future MTGO goes bellyup. I see people playing Spellfire and Illuminati for goodness sake, if I invest in MTGO cards I might take a hiatus and find that now Magic is only sold in the "junk stores."

We have a Necro team?

L

Lythand

I don't see MTGO going belly up anytime soon.

Turgy, you article was interesting and informative. Only problem is. And I am hoping others can give me some feedback. I have thought about doing the drafting. Which is what others have suggested. If you read the Users agreement, ther are 13 states in which you can not win prizes from online contest..legally. Florida happening to be one, where I live. My question to that, is this one of those rules that people just disregard. Do you know anyone who has? So even though I could enter a tourney, no way can I make money off winning, only rare drafting. I would rather play to win.

and yes Turgy, my online handle is Lythand

Reco, I suggest reading turgeys post. Very informative. May answer your question. Alos check out Wizards website and go to Magic online section.

Finally, I did spend some extra money on Ebay. There is a dealer there that will make some budget decks, that have a few good rares, and the decks work fairly good. I purchased a White Weenie deck for 13$ and loved it.