Nintendo's gamecube

C

Cateran Emperor

I saw 'em earlier.

:eek:

those are NICE. Damn, that sure as heck is next generation!

H

Hetemti

You have got to be f'kin' me! That is the ugliest piece of cow crap since Abe Vagoda stripped naked in a pub in Boston! And that Monopoly rippoff with the master race of Marios?! I'd rather play an Atari 2600 that that bull crap. And besides, my computer has better resolution anyway. They'll have it emulated in six months. Except the emulator won't look like a die on steroids.

And the controler is the biggest abomonation since the Power Glove. The N64's controler was more frightning than usable, since it, in the shadows at night, looked like the claw of a bear coming to kill you. That and it only needed two handles anyway. Least they learned from that. But then they added big round buttons and those kidney shaped ones? Last time I saw buttons like that was on a Little Tykes toy. Ooogoo gaga Mario stomp Pikachu! Wheee!

And the worst thing is, it'll be a pain in the arse to hide it from the kiddies on Christmas. What the hell else will fit in a 10-inch square box? A Size-3 sockerball?

I think I'll save my money rather than watch Luigi straddle a stairrail.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

It's about freakin' time nintendo released something about there next gen consule. The consule looks like a piece of sh*t. If i'm going to buy a next gen consule it is not going to be that. I'm going to be vering for the playstation 2 and X-box.

N

nanokill

I have to agree I have been loking forward to the release of playstation 2 and I know i'll by the playstation first but the graphics on that cube seem to be alittle appealing:D

T

theorgg

It looks like a kiddie toy...

The first controller looks like a bloody mutant-freak of nature that excaped the Turbographix16!
At least it isn't another R.O.B. :)

The second controllers look pretty good--mabe those screens allow for some really good strategy games...
Like your hand in Magic!

y'know, I wonder when the 8-bit Nintendo handheld will come out..

or mabe the 16-bit Snes handheld...

About four years ago they were suppose to be working on them...:(

S

Sleepy

i'll wait till i see it in the store before i say if i like it. maybe it looks better irl and maybe it's got good games.

U

Ura

Not bad graphics for a consol, to bad the system itself looks like a toilet from the back of an airplane.
My money is going into PS2 for sure.

M

mogg bomber

Why are people still supporting playstation so much? I mean developers hate the playstation 2, and it's not even as powerful as the gamecube. Add this to the fact that the only good games on playstation are available for pc or other systems,and you see that playstation just isn't that great. And who cares what the system looks like? I hope you don't think that the playstation 2 looks any better, because it doesn't. The gamecube controller may look odd, but the n64 controller did too and it was one of the best controllers for a home game console. And Orgg, the game boy color is basically the same as a handheld nes, and the game boy advance(to be released in march) will be basically the same as a handheld snes.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

Actually Mogg Bomber the Dreamcast controller is a lot better than the N64 controller. Both the dreamcast and playstation controllers feal alot better in my hands than the N64. Also a consule isn't all about the power. It is mostly about the games. I have to disagree with you that there aren't any good games for the playstation that aren't on any other system. How about the RPG's, Metal Gear solid, and Syphon Filter and games of that nature. It is the only system that has an extensive amount of RPG's. If you do want to talk about power than let's talk about the X-Box. The X-Box is going to blow any other system out of the water in terms of power. Since from what i last heard the X-Box and the Gamecube are going to released at about the same time and i rather purchase the X-Box over the gamecube.

U

Ura

nodnarb is right. Its not just about power, its about quality. Look at the N64, the system that everyone said was going to be the best, it gets creamed regularly by the playstation, and the PS was meant to compete with the SuperNES (the last truely great nintendo system).
Also, I haven't heard of any developers hating or even strongly disliking sony. Most of the best in the business release their games with the PS and many of those games aren't available on Nintendo systems or PC. Things like MGS, Xenogears, and the Tekken series, the first place that Resident Evil was brought out and recieved fame before Nintendo started diluting and burning out the name.
If its power you want, then by a good PC cause it'll beat the tar out of any console system.
But after Nintendo basically flopping IMHO with the N64 I have very little faith in them any more. Most of their games are just rehashing the same old story and charactors. I can count the number of truely quality games the were made for N64 after it being out for 2 years on one hand. To me thats sad. They could have done so MUCH better with it if they hadn't gotten complacent and lazy about it and could get better developers for software. Where Sony has squeezed every last bit of power from the PS to keep it on top till it can't go any further (which it obviously can't anymore).
I play my Nintendo alot more than my N64 and I'm almost sorry I bought it (thank goodness for perfect dark), the only reason I even got one of those dumb RAM packs for it was because a friend of mine gave me his extra. (personal opinion: Consoles should NOT need to be upgraded like that.)
but just looking at quality and track records, Sony has never failed to deliver (except with the RE: Directors Cut flop), where as Nintendo has repeatedly let me down from bad developement.
So I'll put my money in the PS2 till I see Nintendo proving itself to be #1 again. (and I still hate the fact that the cube looks like a porta-potty, :) and probably won't fit in my entertainment center.)
As for controllers. I'm a tempermental gamer :eek: and I have a bad habit of being tough on controllers. Whether its from twisting and squeezing, or turning them into spontanious projectiles. My first PS controller still works perfectly as does the analog on I bought afterwards. However I've broken 4 N64 controllers and my 5th is getting kinda worn out.
While I don't hate Nintendo systems, I can't say I like the new stuff they do anymore.

Cheers! :)

btw: Whatever happened to the TurboGraphics16? That system rocked! :D

M

mogg bomber

I never said it was about power, I could care less which system is more powerful. But alot of people do care, which is why I brought it up. You say it's about quality, but that is sadly not true. There are far less N64 games than playstation games, but both systems have at least a similar number of quality games(I personally think N64 has many more quality games than Playstation, but that's just my opinion. Almost every game released by Nintendo or Rare for the N64 is good.) The reason the N64 did so badly wasn't a lack of quality, but rather quantity. This was because the N64 was so hard to develop games for. However, this time it's the other way around. I still haven't heard one good thing about developing for the Playstation 2, only that it's the hardest system to develop for ever(yes, even harder than N64). Everyone seems to mention MGS and Final Fantasy as reasons why Sony is great. First of all, both of these series originally started on the NES, and neither of them are developed by Sony. Most of the good developers left for Sony because of the problems with the N64, but Nintendo survived because Nintendo can actually make there own games, unlike Sony who are completely reliant on second and third party developers. What do you think will happen if history repeats and developers leave Sony's hard to develop for Playstation 2 and go to Nintendo? Without the second and third party developers, Sony wouldn't have a chance.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, first off I believe that SNES is still the best console out there - I mean, FF6 0wnz! :D

But now I'm more diehard towards PSX than I am to N64... probably because they lost Squaresoft ;)

. This was because the N64 was so hard to develop games for. However, this time it's the other way around. I still haven't heard one good thing about developing for the Playstation 2, only that it's the hardest system to develop for ever(yes, even harder than N64).
You're assuming one thing here - that the GameCube is easy to develop for. I'm would bet that it's as hard, or harder than PS2 is.

What do you think will happen if history repeats and developers leave Sony's hard to develop for Playstation 2 and go to Nintendo?
Again, it's the same assumption. However, I'd like to say that some outside developers have made open (or assumed) claims that they won't be developing for Nintendo. For example, Squaresoft. Squaresoft didn't leave Nintendo because of ease of development - it was contract squables.

Also, don't forget that Sony DOES still make games - Gran Turismo (1/2/2000/3) are all developed by Polyphony Digital, a subsidiary of Sony.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

If you think there is no good games coming out for the playstation 2, Think again. Here is a list of games coming out for the PS2.

Bouncer
Dead or Alive 2/Dead or Alive 2:Hardcore
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid 2
Oddworld Munch's Oddyssey
Oni
Tekken Tag Tournament
Unreal Tournament
ICO
Gran Turismo 2000 [<-- added by Ed]

There is plenty more where that came from but i can't remember anymore names.

I

Istanbul

Speaking as someone who deals in video games for a living and has had his finger on the pulse of next-gen systems since people were talking about the new Super Nintendo, I can tell you this much.

Dreamcast has a solid market share. Even if the Playstation 2 rocks (which is going to be tough, with a $300 pricetag, $35 memory cards, and $55 games), it's not going to force Sega out of the market. It's simply not going to be good ENOUGH, though I've played it, and it's Dreamcast's equal.

Playstation 2 is set up to take a large part of Dreamcast's pie; comparing a 128-bit system to a 32-bit system just isn't fair to Sony, but the PS2 should equal the Dreamcast in sheer power. It's going to come down to what games get released, which is how it should be. PS2 has the potential to be incredible, but it has to get over its pricing problem.

Nintendo 64 has been on life support since its inception. Even when it was first released, the selection of games was horrible, and Playstation already had a head start. Dreamcast pulled ahead afterwards, pushing its way into the spot of 'system with the most power' and leaving the N64 in its dust. There are perhaps 10 games on the system that are worth owning, and for every good game, there are twenty that don't deserve the chips used to make them; but that's what you get when you decide that children should be your target audience.

The X-Box is still a big mystery. As far as sheer processing power, it's going to overshadow both the PS2 and the Dreamcast. Unfortunately, it has the Microsoft stigma attached, which will turn off many gamers by sheer association. They're also doing a terrible job of marketing it; information has been almost impossible to come by. A large part of the X-Box's success will rely on whether or not they bring in third-party companies to develop games. If they do so in sufficient quantity, and recruit companies like Capcom, Eidos, and Square, they stand a decent chance of pulling it off. But if not...well, Microsoft has never made a console system before, and doesn't really know the market. (Yes, it is different than the computer market.) Who can say for sure?

The StarCube is looking like total garbage. I've seen a picture of the controller, and it looks like you're going to have to be triple-jointed to move and press buttons at the same time. The actual system itself is enormous, so much so that many people simply won't want have anything to do with it. It's a sad truth, but Nintendo's 15 minutes of console fame died with the SNES. Nintendo 64 has been a feeble attempt to carry on that dying legacy, and the StarCube looks like the final nail in the coffin.

M

mogg bomber

I'm not assuming Gamecube will be easy to develop for, that's what developers are saying. The Gamecube is supposed to be easier than the N64 to develop for, where Playstation 2 is supposed to be harder. I don't know anything about developing games, but this is what the actual developers have been saying.
nodnarb, the only ones of those games I'm even remotely interested in are the Final Fantasy games, and I really don't care much about them either(the best FF games were on the SNES)
Istanbul, what makes you think that the Gamecube is big? It measures 150mm X 110mm X 161mm, making it smaller than the SNES. Anyway, here's what I think of the systems:

Dreamcast- I like it, but I'm not sure how it'll do in the long run. It never really was popular in Japan, but it is popular in the US. The problem though, is that with the upcoming systems,Dreamcast may not be doing as well a year from now.

Playstation 2-Will sell well based on reputation, but eventually most people should figure out that this isn't that great. It started off bad in Japan, not nearly enough games have been sold when compared to the number of systems sold, as they are basically just being used as DVD players.
Also, this system is hard to develop for.

Nintendo 64- Well, this turned out pretty bad. I like it, but there aren't really that many good games. This severely lacked RPG's, which really hurt it. The games which are good are very good, but there aren't enough of them. This is because this system was also hard to develop for.

X-Box- I don't know enough about it yet to make a judgement. I think it could be good, but the Microsoft name will cause some people to stay away. Also, Microsoft doesn't have any experience in the home console game market.

Gamecube- This is everything the N64 wasn't, along with all the good things which caused the N64 to survive(barely). Lack of RPG's is immediately fixed, with at least one RPG ready by launce. The cartridge format was done away with for disks, which make games longer and easier to develop.

[Edited by mogg bomber on August 31st, 2000 at 03:36 PM]

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

The playstation 2 didn't not start of bad in Japan. It had the highest first week sales than any other consule.

T

The Magic Jackal

I'm a loyal nintendo fan, so I must defend it.

About the gamecube: I was reading an article about it. The main guy (whatever his name is) was dissappointed that n64 did not open with a good selection with games, and that Dolphin (codename) would open w/ a mario, zelda, metroid, and dk game. Well, I see 3 of those games there, and can't wait to play the zelda game (I can't even wait for the new zelda game for n64.

The controler looks sweet. It looks like they are going w/ the Different types of configurations again, like w/ the 64 controller. No one liked the 64 controller at first, but now It's the best one out there, IMHO. Dreamcast's is okay, but I've found that some of the buttons are hard to get to In fast action games, and the start button can also be hard to reach. BTW orgg, the second controller looks like it says gameboy on it. I think that it's gameboy advance. Maybe you can hook it up to gamecube to play on your tv.

About 64: Didn't do nearly as good as expected, and the lack of rpg's really hurt them :( I do think that they have the best quality game though. Zelda is still the best game out, IMHO. And they contain the best multiplayer game out there: Goldeneye, perfect dark, SUPER SMASH BROTHERS, my newly acquired worms armageddon, etc. 64 still has a trick or two up it's sleeve(s). The long awaited earthbound 64 is due out sometime this fall, along with the new zelda game. This is enough to keep me from buying PSX2. Earthbound was by far the best game on SNES (Chrono trigger 2nd) and I can't wait for the 64 version (I just really hope the don't kill it.)

Think of 64 compared to the other systems like this. 64 is the system your going to play when you have your friends over (only 2 controllers on PSX). When you have your friends over, don't you ususally play multiplayer magic? 64 is basically multiplayer magic, you don't play it much by yourself (zelda excluded), but it's a blast when you're with a crowd. PSX is the opposite, It's competitive magic. Most of the game are only good by yourself or 1 on 1.

All hail the mighty nintendo, nothing beats the 8bit.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Burn the heritics.

If the gamecube(what a lame name) is in anyway like the N64 it will suck. It had 3 good games: Golden Eye, Zelda(which was way too short), and Perfect Dark. My friends an I all agree that it is the worst of the systems available now. And the cube doesn't look much better. Nintendo will probably do what it always does: Skip the quality games, and go for only kiddy games, with a little good stuff so it doesn't die out in a heart beat. I mean good graphics and Samus can only take you so far. Also, what happened to it being named Dolphin? Was that just he beta name?

As for the other new systems coming out:

PS2: OMG! This is gonna be great. I saw graphics from games that look like current cut scenes. This is going to be great. I loved playstation, and the 2nd generation is only going farther.

Dreamcast: While this is out, it counts as one of the "Next Gen" systems. I like it. It has a lot of good games. I love Soul Calibur(SP?) and Marvel Vs. Capcom.

X-Box: While Microsoft is new to the format, they have the money to be a contender. I mean, if they have slumping sales they could just buy out sega and nintendo:) But realy, it will probably do ok since it has plenty of developers.

M

mogg bomber

nodnarb, you're right that lots of playstation 2 consoles were sold, but not nearly enough games were sold to support the number of consoles sold. This means that most playstation 2's were sold as dvd players, not game consoles. This frightens developers, and makes them even more worried about developing for the playstation 2.