New RPG: Chapter One: In the Village of Habbendale

E

EricBess

"Well now! That's two strangers in town on the same night. That reminds me of a tale I once heard. Gather 'round the fire folks and I'll tell it.

"Elzie," I pause to get the barmaids attention and throw a wink her way, "keep the drinks coming cutie. My story may be a bit dry, but that doesn't mean that these folk need to be."

I set down next to the fire and pull out the collection tin.

S

sageridder

***I nod and ask him to quietly wake that little drunk CASNAR at the end of the bar.I slowly and cautiously walk towards the strange dwarf.And find a seat somewere between him and archway.I motion to the dwarf.***

"Warm your self by the fire friend and enjoy,jaspar tells the best tales."

C

Cateran Emperor

*Taranec stretches and moves closer to the newly rekindled fire. He waits for Fobble to return, in the meantime shifting the worn battle-axe sitting near his right foot over to the left side. Outside, he wonders just how long it will be until the snows return, and how long that leaves him to close all his local business, pack up his belongings, and move along down the road.*

'Hrmph,' he mutters to himself, 'Perhaps several days at best, there's talk from the local sage that unnatural cold strikes every year about the time spring dawns elsewhere.'

*Taranec glances over toward the other side of the tavern, where he sees an old dwarf sitting near and drinking merrily. He can't help but feel that he should know this dwarf for some reason, but a reason why escapes him. He shifts in his seat, letting the heat wash over him, contrasting with the furious storm outside.*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You talkin' 'bout Dorgath? 'Cause he's not an old dwarf; more like a young one (equivalent to in the 20's in human years).

R

Rando

To all players -

The dwarf in the doorway looks this way and that, then seems to zero in on Dorgath. He half runs, half limps towards his dwarven cousin and then falls to his knees at Dorgath's feet.

"Brother, oh fellow brother, great evil has befallen my homeland in the east. Our miners have done a great wrong in finding the lair of an ancient wurm! It has destroyed my entire city and then broke free of the mountain. It now rampages every night through human and dwarf town alike, killing all that dare stand against it. Each daybreak it returns to it's lair, but it's circles of chaos grow larger every day, and it seems to be heading west with it's torments."

The dwarf stands up and adresses the entire tavern. "I come here with both a warning to the good people of Habbendale, and with a request. If there are any about who could join arms with what few dwarves are left, please come with me and help us. My name is Thedlyn and I pledge my undieing loyalty to any that may give service."

The dwarf huffs and pants in both excitment and fear, looking around the room for a response.

The farmers all turn back to thier drinks, not wanting to get involved.

Sudennly, Archway leaps to his feet and jumps upon a table.

"Hear me good people! I am Archway De'Gris, renowned in the lands of the west as a Wurm hunter and Dragon slayer."

He throws back his coat, revealing a finely amde sword and a brace of flintlock pistols. On his chest is a coat of chainmail, and it seems to be of Elven make.

Archway continues, "I have heared tales of this new beast, and I have traveled for a week to come here and to slay it. Listen to theis good dwarf's plea, and then listen to mine. Join with the both of us, and let us put down this threat, for I assure you that it will not stop until killed, and it will sooner or latter make this town one of it's meals!"

Archway waits for a response...

E

EricBess

Jandar climbs up on the table with Archway.

"Fellow citizins, lend me your ears. This is the stuff of ledgends. Archway... Dare we believe that the actual Archway De'Gris, is standing in our midsts. Archway De'Gris, the famed dragon slayer, killer of the vile beast that plagued Andoron and sent hundreds to their grave.

"This is an opportunity. This is you chance to become a hero. I will travel with this man and chronical the tale. Join with us and I will make sure your name is spoken of with reverence and awe for many decades to come."

D

Daggertooth

Seeing the Drama unfold, Nychus Stands to Join the forming band.

"I'll Help slay this beast." I say, then wait to see who else joins.

R

Rando

To Jaspar -
Archway looks at you out of the corner of his eye. He seems to be trying to size up whether your boasts on his behalf are for real or just for show. He then turns to you and smiles, "Thank you sir, you help is greatly welcomed.

To Nychus -
Archway jumps down off of the table and strides over to where you stand, "And you too my friend are welcome." He puts his arm around you and calls out to the entire bar...

To all players -
"All of you are welcome along! Drinks for the whole tavern on me, and lodgeing to those who wish to come with me!"

To Dorgath -
The dwarf looks at you with a smile and a gleam in his eye. This is the first time this evening that he has shown anysign of anything but despair. "Thank you brother", he says. "you help is greatly appreciated."

To All players -
Archway yells out, "A song! A song to celebrate this great time! I surely will be an adventure to go into the books of epic tales! We leave on the morrow, but for now, we dance!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not being much for dancing, Dorgath turns to the dwarf:

"So, brother, what is your name? I am called Dorgath Rocksplitter, of the Helfagar clan to the NW. How many others survive? What kind of foe are we facing (meaning type and age of dragon)? Does the Dwarf Lord of the East still live?"

D

Daggertooth

The strange feeling of uneasyness I once had for the stranger Archway is replaced with Admiration. Not many around here have defeated dragons.

I dance, sing, and drink with the others untill the entire world seems to be spinning in an uproar of excitment.

E

EricBess

Rando, I know we're not supposed to add to the storyline outside of our characters, but hopefully you'll humor me a bit here with some poetic licence :)

As the tavern breaks into song and dance, Fobble pulls Jaspar away from the crowd, "We'll miss you around here. You've been good for business."

"Don't worry. I'll be sure to mention that this is where it all started. Right here at Fobbles!"

"Is he really a famous hero?," Jaspar turns as Elzie taps him on the shoulder.

He leans over and whispers in her ear, "Might be, but I've never heard of him before." He then rejoins the crowd, shouting back at her with a wink, "you stay out of trouble while I'm gone. I'm coming back for you."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
"Why thank you very well" says Casnar, who has been quiet up until know. "It's hard being 3 foot 2, but these drinks will calm me down."

Two men start laughing at the midget wizard and decide to start messing with him.

S

sageridder

***I approach archway.***
"A great wurm hunter,(thinks for a moment) this should prove interesting.As I have not yet had the oppertunity to battle one yet,I shall join you as well."

B

Bob

*He has been watching this intently. He puts down his ale, and walks over to the band of heroes.*

"I've been watching you. I used to be a warrior in wars against the Trolls and Iezus. I would like to help you, but I have been wounded, and since then have been quite weak... I can be a healer, I can heal many wounds, and do some complicated magics. And I have a short sword for protection."

"can I join? I promise I won't be much of a trouble to you...":(

C

Cateran Emperor

Taranec observes the growing band of warriors, then takes a long pull on his ale.

"Very well," he says to the general audience, "My axe rests with you. Any who would slay this beast, meet me here at dusk with all you need to travel."

*****Making final external comment here*****
I would ask all the other players to go back and disable their signatures for all their posts on this thread as I have just done. Also, could everyone try to disable them in the future? That will help maintain continuity.

R

Rando

**CE - Good idea with the sigs, I hope everyone follows suit**

To Jaspar -
Archway speaks, "Dragon hunting is no small task, my friend, but stick with me and be mindfull, and you will learn much about the art. The killing of this beast will mark the 13th wurm amoung the notches in my belt."

To Dorgath -
The dwarf, still beeming with joy at the prospect of all these good strangers offering help, turns back to you, "My name is Thedlyn, son of Haspar my brother. My thanks to you and all your kin for this help you and your friends are giving. I'm sure that when this is all over, your name will go upon the Pillar of Strength in the Hall of the Gods!"

To Anakis -
After finishing his sentence to Jaspar, Archway turns to you, "Your help will be most welcomed my good man, especially if you are skilled in the healing arts. I fear that they will come to need in the days ahead."

To all players -
The revelry continues well into the night, as even some of the farmers realize the danger they and thier homes may be in and join in the dance and song.

After a few more rounds of drinks from Archway, Fobble anounces, "My good heros! The suites upstairs are yours for the night! Get a good rest, and I shall feed you in the morning. If you wish to counter this threat, you will be in need of all your strength."

All the while, the storm rages outside...

**go on to Chapter 2**