New RPG: Chapter One: In the Village of Habbendale

R

Rando

To all players -

The rains of Spring are normally regarded as a blessing, melting away the last of Winter's snow and ensuring the growth of the new season's planting. However, when the rain continues unceasingly for 6 days and nights, it quickly becomes a curse.

The streets of the town of Habbendale are saturated and unpassable. No less then 4 wagons this week have become stuck fast on the main road through town, and remain there even on this night. Few people have reason or need to venture out in this muck, and tonight the streets are all but deserted.

The one buisness in town town that remains continuously patronized is Fobble's, arguably Habbendale's finest tavern, which is not too great a complement when there are only 2 others, and one burned down a foretnight past. Over the past water soaked week it has become, more then ever, a place to forget the drowning storms outside and drown yourself in a different way.

Fobble's is filled with the farmers of the area who have come to forget thier ruined fields and the days of sewing that has all gone to waste. They congregate in small clumps around dark corner tables, sipping thier ale and typically only speaking to ask the barmaid for another.

Most of the other people here consist of locals you all know, or at least know of. There is, ofcoarse, Fobble himself behind the bar, silently wiping down mugs and trying no to seem to happy about being the only buisness man making a proffit off of this endless storm. Every once in a while he will wipe his hevily jowled face with the bar towel to hide his grin, then collect himself and go back to his cleaning.

There is also Ezlie, Fobble's daughter and unpaid bearwench. She is a sweet girl of 16, pretty but already showing the signs of a hardened working life in a frontier town such as this.

Here too is a stranger to this town, a tall man who calls himself Archway De'Gris. He came strolling into the tavern a hour earlier this evening, drenched to the bone and looking quite worn from the road. In the sullen silence of the bar, you all heared him give his name to Fobble and ask if any where asking for him in these parts. You also heared Fobble remark that the name was new to him, and that he knew of no one searching him out. Archway then walked to an abandoned table near the fireplace and turned his back to crowd to dry himself in the glowing warmth.

So, here you are: the farmers, Fobble and his daughter, the stranger and the 7 of you, all, for whatever reason, not content to stay home on this dreary night.

"Elzie!", Fobble calls out from the bar. "You've let the fire go to little more then embers. See to it."

"Yes, Papa." says Elzie. She sets a fist full of fresh mugs down at one of the more crowded tables of farmers, and then moves to stoke the flames.

Outside, the driving rain pelts the ledded windows and the constant, rolling thunder grows louder with each crash. It would seem that the brunt of the storm grows closer.

C

Cateran Emperor

A massive, bear of a man sits near the aforementioned fire, watching as Fobble succeeds in rekindling the fire. Taranec then turns his attention back to the attractive barwench, and calls for another ale.

He turns around, watching calmly as the storm furiously comes down, washing away the snow that the storm had brought not a week earlier. Perhaps it was time to leave this place, people were beginning to wonder why he was here.

Just then, the door flies open, and in steps...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorath sits in a warm corner near the soon-to-be-lit fireplace, nursing a mug of dwarven spirits and keeping his eyes and ears peeled.

R

Rando

To all players, *out of game* -
Remember not to add anything to the story that is not under the control of your character, just like as if we were sitting around the table for a real game of D&D or whatever RPG you may have played before. I will present the actions of all other people and outside events, you react and interact.

OK then, game on...

S

sageridder

**what kind of clothes is archway wearing,and any kind of weapons that are showing?**

S

sageridder

I light my pipe and take a seat at the bar.I call fobble to bring me a mead.When he is closer I ask what he makes of this stranger.

R

Rando

To Taranec -
Elzie, the bearwench and Fobble's daughter, is right in between you and Archway, the stranger. Elzie stokes the fire, and then stands. "I'll get your drink shortly" she says, eyes lowered in respect, and then heads to the bar for your ale.

To Zilor -
Fobble gets you your mead and eyes the man calling himself Archway. "Don't know what to think." he says, his rancid breath stinging your sensitive Elven nostrils as he draws closer. "But to me, any man that comes to a new town and starts asking if people are looking for him is trouble indeed." Fobble steps back, rubbing his overly round belly and shuffleing off to the bear taps.
Archway is in dark leather traveling cloaths, well worn but you can tell they were expensive. His long coat covers any weapons, if he has any, and his wide, feather topped cap covers his face well.

To Dorgath -
You know everyone in the bar, save for this man called Archway, if not by name then by face. You know that they all live either in or near town.

D

Daggertooth

The croud stops talking for a sec, looks up, sees a familiar face then flows back to their conversation.

"Hey fobble, Bring me the usual," I say in a shivering voice. I look fondly over to the fire, but see it is already occupied by many people. As fobble brings me my food I start to talk to him. Small talk at first, but it soon accumuates to the reason I came.

.................."By the way, Hunting has been really hard lately. You think any of these strangers might know where the game has gone?" As the conversation continues I look around to examine the unfamiliar faces.

E

EricBess

Jaspar made his way back to the fireplace with Elzie, juggling his knifes for the entertainment of the patrons. "Oh Elzie, if you only you were a year or two older... You must allow me to show you the world sometime." Fobble always insist on Jaspar using the dull knives, but Jaspar still has one sharp one just in case.

He approaches the table where Archway is sitting, "Welcome to Fobbles, my good man. A bit of entertainment to take your mind off your worries?"

S

sageridder

Knowing full well Jaspar can handle himself,I am watching the crowd to see if anyone is taking an interest in this interaction.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Rando

To Dorgath -
You know everyone in the bar, SAVE for this man called Archway, if not by name then by face. You know that they all live either in or near town.
You don't :) He was talking about everyone else.

R

Rando

To Nychus -
Fobble brings you your drink and says, "I figure theses damned rains have driven all the beasties out, going for higher ground, ya know?" Fobble then points over in the direction of the fireplace. There you see Taranec eyeing Elzie, Fobble's daughter, and a man who you have not seen before, dressed in dark leather traveling cloaths.

"As far as strangers go," Fobble says, "He's the only one I can point out."

To Jaspar -
Elzie giggles at the attention you give her and then quickly gets back to work.

The stranger looks up at your aproach and tips back his hat to get a better look. "Aye." he says. "I wouldn't mind a bit of entertainment, having been long on the road. Will you favor me with some, or do I need to dip into my purse first?"

To Zilor -
You see all the other patrons in the bar quietly watch the exchange between Jaspar and Archway. When it is obvious that all is calm, they go back to thier drinks.

To everyone -

The door to the tavern swings wide and you see there a dwarf, obviously haggered and weary. His garb is tattered and you can tell he reeks of soot from across the room. His eyes have a wild, hunted look about them, and he looks this way and that, taking in the whole bar before stepping across the threshold.

E

EricBess

"Sir, I'm offended," Jaspar says good naturedly, "if you pay me now, I will have no incentive. Certainly I trust myself more than that!".

The usual routine involves an apple for the juggling and a little sleight of hand to wrap things up. Jaspar's used to the occasional stranger, so there is no reason to suspect anything other than someone coming in out of the rain, correct?

D

Daggertooth

"If the rains drove the beasties away they must have seen it commin months in advance." I replied a bit harshly. *sigh* "sorry my friend, Its frusterating to go hunting for a week and see no sign of any animal larger than a squirl."

Nychus quickly downed the first mug and called for a second. Having little endurance for drinking Nychus was already feeling a bit buzzed. In fact, if the rain cept driving him into the tavern everyday he was likely the next candidate for town drunk. A symtom a person rarely revived from.

theres something odd about that stranger I think to myself I don't like it. I better keep sober tonigh incase trouble arises.

R

Rando

To Dorgath -
You can tell from the cut of his beard that he is from the Brekfol mountains in the east.

To Jaspar -
For a frontier town this one sees a lot of travelers, mostly tradesmen and pilgrams going east to settle. A stranger in town is no big deal, but one sho travels on nights such as this is indeed strange.

S

sageridder

I call to fobble to bring me some fruit.When he is closer I ask what rumors he has heard about this trouble brewing in Brekfol Mountains,and if he thinks this dwarf might be from there.

R

Rando

To Zilor -
Fobble lowers his voice so as not to cause any trouble. "I would say yes, he's from Brekfol. I've seen his ilk here in town before when they come to trade thier steel goods."