New idea? Maybe, Maybe not.

G

Griffith_se

Hi,

The idea: Steal Opponents cards, use them, then destroy them before you lose control.

I don't know if this is a new concept, or not.
This is just an idea right now. I was thinking of building a deck that would use the thieving effects of Blue.

i.e. Use Overtaker to seal opponent's creature, Steal Enchantment, Steal Artifact.

Then the other part of the idea. Sac the item that I stole to gain something useful, before I lose control of the item.

i.e. Steal a creature with Overtaker, use it to beat on Opponent, Then sac it to Claws of Gix before I have to give it back.

Does anyone have any idea's? I just need a little push in the right direction. If you have a deck list that would be great too.

Thanx

Y

Y The Alien

Neat idea. "I Overtaker your Thorn Elemental, then sac him to attrition." Ow.

G

Gizmo

You seen 'Reins Of Power'?

UU2, INSTANT, Stronghold Rare
Untap and gain control of all your opponents creatures until end of the turn, that opponent gains control of and untaps all your creatures in return.

Or wording to that effect.
Usually played with Altar Of Dementia.

G

Griffith_se

Just looked up Reins of Power/Alter of Dementia. I like it!

What do you think, maybe Black for a second color, or Red perhaps (Fling, Bloodshot cyclops, Rupture).
Isn't there a Black card that says something like; do X damage to target, were X is sacrificed Creatures Mana cost?

What about dealing with Artifacts, and Enchantments? Are there any other cards that can steal them besides Steal Artifact, Steal Enchantment.

Y

Y The Alien

Confiscate, your all purpose theft device. Other than that, probably not. Red would give you Goblin Bombardment, which works great with Reins of Power (which I have one of, BTW). Black, well, there are numerous ways to kill your stuff in black. Phreyxian Ghoul, Fallen Angel, Attrition, Mind Slash (a fave of mine), Victimize (but that's more recursion).

F

FadingInsomniac

TAG GUARD

Wow, you entered today and before you even chose your weapon you were dead. That sucks. :) Too bad my table's broken now...

F

FadingInsomniac

TAG GUARD

If your name is Y the Alien, I've got good news for you. Upon double-checking, the post I killed you in was before you were officially in the game, at 3:20. So, you're still in tha game. :p

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

Getting a little oppertunistic are we? Kill me before I even signed up. But thank you for relenting.

G

garfobosonfire

Ive Got an idea, why dont u physically take his cards and keep them and run away quickly!!! Just a thought!!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ya know, when you kill someone, you might want to KILL THEM! Not just say, there dead. Anywho, try mind slash if spalshing black. its good.

S

Seeker of Truth

Gizmo:

I thought Reins of Power was such an underused card. It's probably one of the few blue cards I actually like.

Griffith_se:

Where I'm from, a deck that kind of focuses on what you are thinking of caught the attention of many of the top players in my area, although it didn't quite make top 8. The resident pros are now either preparing for it or thinking about playing it, so it's supposed to be quite good.

The deck was created in order to beat down two popular deck types, the Rebel deck and the Bargain-combo deck. Part of the deck's concept was to combat creature-based decks by using the often-overplayed combo of Temporal Adept and Gilded Drake(!).

In any case, I'll try and hunt down a copy of the decklist, and if it seems interesting to you (it was interesting to me), go ahead and "steal" that, too.

[Edited by Seeker of Truth on May 22nd, 2000 at 01:04 PM]

G

Griffith_se

Seeker of Truth,

Yeah I'd be intrested in that.

Yet another failed attempt to come up with something new *sigh* only to find out its already been done.

Oh well I'm having fun trying. :D

C

Captain Caveman

You might try a Wildfire variant using Thieve's Auction and
Brand. Take whatever you want then take all of your stuff
back with Brand.

or.....

You could expand on Gizmo's idea(Reins/Altar)by throwing
in a couple of Dracoplasm for some beatings.

just a few thoughts

Caveman

M

Major Crime

Use with Creatures which need sacs to get into play, there is a red blue creature costing U & R which gets P/T equal to the P/T of the creatures you sac (either that or P/T equals number of sacs).

S

Seeker of Truth

Griffith_se:

OK, here's the deck:

4x Boomerang
4x Hoodwink
4x Rescind
4x Glowing Anemone (another one of those ! cards)
4x Rishadan Footpad
4x Rishadan Brigand
4x Temporal Adept
4x Gilded Drake
4x Umbilicus
2x Dust Bowl
4x Rishadan Port
18x Island

As you can see, this deck isn't totally focused around the idea of stealing creatures with the Temporal Adept/Gilded Drake combo, but it provides creature defense, since opponents will be afraid to play more creatures when this combo is in action. In addition, the rest of the deck is devoted to mana denial, as Umbilicus, Boomerang and Glowing Anemone (repeatedly bounced) will limit the number of lands your opponent has available. After the deck is in full swing, the beatdown can be applied with the assorted Footpads and Brigands, and whatever else you managed to steal with the Gilded Drakes.

Remember that this is a relatively tournament-level deck ( :eek: ), so if locking down your opponent isn't your style, you may want to totally devote yourself to the stealing creatures idea, since there are so many stealing effects available in blue these days. Still, it's an interesting blue deck that doesn't rely on a million counters, or Morphling, or Powder Kegs, or any other card-that-screams-to-the-world-"Hey-I'm-playing-blue-control!"

Which, of course, would result in your ostracism from every casual-playing group. ;)

M

Mundungu

Griffith_se :

The altar of dementia + reins of power can be even more fun if all lands are creature : nature's revolt any of the other green sorcery / enchant that has that effect.
I saw that combo winning against a red burn at the final of a tournament.

Green gives you the bops for the necessary mana.... #Guilded drake is the optimal creature to take control of your opponent's creatures. You just need a way to bounce it back to your hand :
Barrin Wizard
Equilibrium
boomerang
Tradewind rider
Man owar ... so many more in blue ..

I posted a blue control deck based on that idea a while ago.

S

Spaceman Spiff

Tag guard

[me]plays wrath of god on garfobosonfire[/me]

your dead

S

Spaceman Spiff

Tag guard

D'OH! garfobo isnt dead, he didnt join till the next day.

Killer Joe

Abuction from Weatherlight is good and so is Dominating Licid and Ray of Command and then sac them to Goblin Bombardment or something like that. The Gilded Drake/Equilibrium trick is cool (it was better in 5th ed. rules though).