New game?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Would anyone be interested in a turn-based "regular" card game that's kinda like Spades? It might take awhile since it depends on the individual at a time to put in his "move", but I'm trying to think of something new...

E

EricBess

I'm a big fan of Spades. I'm not sure how you would do it without everyone popping in their correct turn, but if you got 4 people that were on regularly enough, I suppose it could work.

J

Jigglypuff

I'd be willing to try it. I'm on almost all the time, anyway.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, c'mon Hetemti! Branch out and try the game! ;)

At least one more, although the more the merrier! :)

R

rkoelsch

I don't know if I can play. Usually pop in between calls but sometimes we get pretty busy. how fast are you looking at going?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as fast as you guys want to. It all depends on whose turn it is. Chaos Turtle seems to get on the least out of all of you (at night EST and maybe once during the day?) so it'll probably depend on his turns. But I've got all the patience in the world :)

I have to look at the rules again but I believe the game goes 12 hands, with the number of cards you get equal to the hand. So the first hand will only consist of 1 card, while the later hands get lengthier.

Heck, I say try it anyways (and I say that 'cause you'd be the fourth to make the game possible :D )

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Spiderman
Well, as fast as you guys want to. It all depends on whose turn it is. Chaos Turtle seems to get on the least out of all of you (at night EST and maybe once during the day?) so it'll probably depend on his turns. But I've got all the patience in the world :)

I have to look at the rules again but I believe the game goes 12 hands, with the number of cards you get equal to the hand. So the first hand will only consist of 1 card, while the later hands get lengthier.

Heck, I say try it anyways (and I say that 'cause you'd be the fourth to make the game possible :D )
Hey...are we going to be playing Oh Heck!!! (with other, not so polite names in lesser circles :D)? Could be fun. We going to do simultaneous bidding, or regular bidding?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, we're not playing Oh Heck! :p Besides, I thought that started out with a fixed hand (basically deal the deck out to all players).

What we're playing is Wizards. It's basically self-Spades.

Brief synopsis of the rules (I'll post clarifications/answers when I actually get my hands on the rules tonight): You get X cards based on the round number (like I explained above). I tell you the trump (IRL, it's the next card turned over after the deal). You tell me how many "tricks" you expect to take in the round (hopefully everyone is familiar with that term). Play is like Spades or Hearts: someone leads a suit, you must follow if possible or play anything, high card or high trump takes the trick. In addition, there are 4(?) Wizards cards which supercede the trump and 4(?) Jester cards which are lower than a 2. You can play these special cards at any time. First one played wins. If the first card played is a Wizard, it wins the trick (being the first) and the remaining players can play any card (including another Wizard). If the first card played is a Jester, the next player's card determines the suit. If the whole hand played consists of Jesters, the first one played wins.

Scoring: Kind of like spades, you get 20 + 10 * your bid if you make it. If you miss your bid, either by going over or under, you get -10 * the difference of your bid.

We'll start next week, 'cause I'm out Friday-Tuesday.

J

Jigglypuff

This game sounds a lot lke Instinct. You know, that trick-taking game put out by Wizards that uses Magic images. :rolleyes:

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, clarifications made to the rules above. Mostly it has to do with the trump and scoring and how to handle first card Wizards or Jesters.

Now, when we start, do you guys want "autoplay" where I play obvious cards for you (like if you only have one card in the starting suit and it has to be played, or when it comes down to the last card in the round and everything has to be played) to speed things up, or do you want to be sure to tell me of your plays (or a combo of both; I'll autoplay for those players who specifically tell me to). I mean, I can do the first round in a day (after I get everyone's bids) since it's only one card... but it's up to you.

And if we go that route, do you want PM reminders that it's your turn, to make sure you check the status of the hand?

C

Chaos Turtle

Autoplay is fine with me, as long as it would be the only possible play, not just the obvious one.

In my case, a reminder PM wouldn't do much good, since my on-time is pretty well scheduled, and I'll be sure to check the thread as much as possible.

E

EricBess

Having played quite a bit of playsite, I can say that if you know what you are looking for, the autoplay option can give a lot away about what is in your hand. When there is only one card left (or two because that will leave you with only one left), autoplay doesn't really matter because there is really nothing anyone can do about it.

But, for example, if I were to lead trump and all but one person had to play their only trump card, I now have a significant amount of information that I realistically shouldn't have.

I'd prefer to specify the card played for this reason, but I can understand the time issue. I don't mind the PM option, but I plan to subscribe to the thread anyway, which automatically sends an email, just like PMing does.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Me either. But what if I give some "lag time" between moves? Say I post first player's card at 10 AM and though the second player has to play his only diamond, I post his move at noon (or whatever time). Will that still give away information?

I always forget about subscribing threads. I was thinking of starting a new one each round (not hand); thus, Round 1 would have 1 hand, Round 2 would have two hands, etc. Would that mess up you guys or do you prefer to have the whole game in one thread?

E

EricBess

I prefer the smaller threads (one per round). It doesn't take much to subscribe to a thread and as long as we know the next round is coming up, we can check. Besides, each round, you have to PM us our cards anyway, right?

I think giving a lag time before posting a "must play" card would be fine. Yeah, it gives the information if the player isn't on the ball, but in most cases, I'm guessing everyone will keep tabs on the game.