New forum!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I added this forum while we wait on a new site look so that if there's any political talk in the meantime, it can go here. That way some users who dislike the political stuff won't have to worry about it clogging and taking over Off-Topic.

A

Almindhra

Thank you............Now I will probably never touch this forum again.......

M

Multani

Finally! A way to contain the Off Topic forum
*bows down to moderators...

A

Apollo

I have entered this forum for the first and last time. Kudos to the mods.

D

DÛke

Yes, it does.

It's pointless. No matter how thick or thin political discussions have been around here, a whole forum dedicated to it is just crap.

Maybe we should have a Movies Forum too? And while at it, we should have a Books Forum, it wouldn't hurt! And since we have Movies, Books, and the General Gaming forums...we might as well finish the collection and add the Music Forum, the Sex Forum, and the Battle Arena II and Battle Arena III forums...what a cool idea!

Politics, like *everything* else that is just off-topic, belongs in the Off Topic place.

M

MrXarvox

...And here we have something that will likely become a debate already! Many thanks to DUke.

This forum is a good idea actually, as political threads spoil the good natured atmosphere of the off-topic forum.
Besides, Political Discussions is a broad topic. The realms of politics stretch far beyond the Middle East.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's true. For some odd reason, only when people have talked about politics (in the Off-Topic) has the antagonistic attitudes shown up (although Gizmo's apparently starting one now in response to your thread, DUKe). And people have mentioned that politics was the main reason it was dragging down Off-Topic. If you can show me how the other topics you mentioned have that same ability, I will gladly make a separate forum for them. But until then, Politics gets the nod.

U

Ura

Great, a whole forum to make a few people who whine about off topic being, goodness forbid, off topic, happy. Whatever happened to the, if you don't like the thread don't read it policy.

Maybe all the people who like to talk about world events and politics will get a yellow star beside their name too so that all the "sensitive happy" people will be able to avoid all their posts.
Ok, so I'm kidding with that bit. But really, isn't creating a whole new forum a bit extreme. There are only like a dozen people who actually participate is such discussions most of the time and only a small handful of "heavy weights" so to speak.

I don't see how people having an off topic conversation in the off topic forum is so disruptive. The people who blow up at each other in them may need to be reigned in from time to time and told to sit in a corner till they cool down some, but I don't think an occasional political thread is any more dragging or disruptive then the dozen or so threads of total kiddiness that pop up every week. Other then the days right after 9/11 there haven't been alot of political threads going on, certainly not enough to consider the off topic area clogged. Perhaps we should just call this the bad natured, nasty person, offensive peoples forum so that the "good natured atmosphere" of the off topic forum isn't tarnished with all us other peoples bad influence to the sensitive.

Or better yet, maybe we can find a way for the CPA to buy everybody zoloft and paxil so we can all be happy all the time and all the "bad feelings" will stay away. *sarcasm intended*

So when will the non-gaming entertainment forum open up so all those clogging movie and music threads can be shuffled over. And don't forget the school forum where everyone can talk about how their finals suck and what their studying and majoring in and which teachers their in love with.

In all honesty I could really care less about another new forum, though I do think its a waste, but I may as well stick to the spirit of the area and add to the clogging. :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, the amount of feelings that come out in the few political threads more than outweighs the "lightweight" non-political off-topic stuff. And a lot of times it is not evident that a thread is political (or has been derailed to political talk) by its title.

Don't take me wrong here, but I'm a bit amused by this "concern" over the creation of a new forum. What is it, an extra place to click that has you guys riled up or something? Heh... :)

U

Ura

Spidey:

Nahh, Its not the clicking at all. Give me a dozen clicks and I'll still go to enjoy the disscussion. ;)

Its just that I find the segregation of a small group of people to a totally different area of the boards because of the disscussions they have to be ridiculous.
Sure, some people are passionate about their political and world event disscussions, but thats what, three people who get riled up real bad, maybe four. Taking an entire group of people based on what they talk about and saying "you have to go over there now" because of a couple people is kinda like amputating a leg at the knee to fix a broken toe.

It basically feels like intellectual discrimination.

I know I'm not the brightest leaf on the tree and I've actually had certain members of these boards assail me with charming messages full of cursing and swearing over ICQ because of what I've said that they didn't like or couldn't handle. But being made to shuffle off to a seperate corner cause some people can't stop from blowing up or flooding non-related conversations with their own diatribe just feels sucky after everything else I've had to put up with.
I know the boards are to be revamped soon so its not so bad as I'm sure there was going to be a world events type forum anyways. But being part of a specially singled out group that got shuffled over ahead of the revamp because of what they disscuss just isn't so perky feeling if you know what I mean.

Ahh well, thats my two bits. Nothings gonna change it now, ne? ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I guess it is intellectual discrimination :)

The problem is that with almost all of the political discussions, the three or four people who carry it on are usually the ones who get passionate about it. There's not really "of the people who discuss, some get passionate and some don't". It's usually everyone.

And the boards are probably not going to get revamped, now that some people spoke up a couple weeks ago and said they wanted to keep this all Magic and (I guess) the ones who wanted change acquiesed.

U

Ura

No revamp now? Rat monkeys . . .
I was looking forward to a bit more diversity for certain things, like a set (traditional like D&D, Rifts, Earthdawn) RPG forum or an electronic mediums type forum (video games et al). That way certain things in the general gaming wouldn't get lost in the flood of tribond, warrior, and other games that go on there.
The problem is that with almost all of the political discussions, the three or four people who carry it on are usually the ones who get passionate about it. There's not really "of the people who discuss, some get passionate and some don't". It's usually everyone.
Yeah, I guess it is most of the few long carriers that flare up the most, but then bickering tends to make things so much more long winded then they need to be.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
To tell the truth, we probably can make a forum called something like "Games Run by CPA Members" or something. But there hasn't been any Warriors talk or really anything else in there for a long time.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

That's because General Gaming has become the forum with a whole lot of threads that you started and subsequently closed. No offense, but somewhere in some primitive part of our brains we're very confused.

If you were willing to splinter Off Topic because of a recurring theme in threads used by only a few people that overwhelmed the rest, it might be a good idea to splinter General Gaming because of a recurring theme in threads used by only a few people that overwhelmed the rest.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We had several members go completely ballistic when it seemed that every other damn conversation got completely overrun with political-speak, and people getting nasty as hell attitudes toward each other, and it had gotten to the point where we were driving people away from this place, which was a trend that needed to be addressed...

So we addressed it. Now the only people who will get offended by political-speak in this place will be people who asked for it by clicking the link. You know, the one with the warning label...;)

As to the revamp - nothing has really been settled yet, and since we didn't get an update Friday, or today, I'd say that the article submissions have fallen off again. If we can't support Front Page updates on a consistent basis with Magic-orientated material, I'd say that a change will be made.

It's only a matter of time...:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a bit confused why threads that I've started and closed for my games (or others) have discouraged others from posting in General Gaming. I thought I clearly put the title so if you're not interested, you don't look.

But I agree that because of the lack of other talk in there, EricBess and my games have sort of taken over the place. I'll make a new forum for us, BUT I predict that there will still be a significant lack of talk in the General Gaming forum anyway. :eek: