New Commander/EDH deck idea. When will I stop?

W

WickedBoy6

So, while I have my Bosh Commander in it's final stages of completion - I need, like, 4 more cards for it to be complete - and I have a Sliver one waiting in the wings, I thought about some new ones, since I will eventually deconstruct the 5 precons I currently have. One was Slivers, obviously, another was pure Green, mana ramp and lots of huge beaters to feed it to. It's currently code-named "Spoiled Meat" - because of all of the green beef. :D

HOWEVER, I am liking the idea of a Gods Commander deck more and more. I've been making preliminary lists about what could fit, see if you uys like it so far, and tell me what else could work:

The Commander
Karona, False God

The Gods, of course
Athreos, God of Passage
Ephara, God of the Polis
Erebos, God of the Dead
Heliod, God of the Sun
Iroas, God of Victory
Karametra, God of Harvests
Keranos, God of Storms
Kruphix, God of Horizons
Mogis, God of Slaughter
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Pharika, God of Affliction
Phenax, God of Deception
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Thassa, God of the Sea
Xenagos, God of Revels

Their Weapons
Spear of Heliod
Bident of Thassa
Whip of Erebos
Hammer of Purphoros
Bow of Nylea

Their Dictations
Dictate of Erebos
Dictate of Heliod
Dictate of Karametra
Dictate of Kruphix
Dictate of the Twin Gods

Sanctuaries, for value
Ana Sanctuary
Ceta Sanctuary
Dega Sanctuary
Necra Sanctuary
Raka Sanctuary

Their Temples, for fixin's
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Deceit
Temple of Enlightenment
Temple of Epiphany
Temple of Malady
Temple of Malice
Temple of Mystery
Temple of Plenty
Temple of Silence
Temple of the False God
Temple of Triumph

Guildgates, for more fixin's
Azorius Guildgate
Boros Guildgate
Dimir Guildgate
Golgari Guildgate
Gruul Guildgate
Izzet Guildgate
Orzhov Guildgate
Rakdos Guildgate
Selesnya Guildgate
Simic Guildgate

With my math being as sub-par as it is, I see the Commander, 15 creatures, 15 spells, and 21 land. 52 in total - not bad for off the top of the head - but it obviously needs more. What else would fit with the Gods?

T

Terentius

How are you gonna get the Theros Gods to become creatures without proper devotion?

EDIT: nevermind, I see you're still at 52 cards. Still, meeting the devotion requirements in 5 colors is going to be tough.

W

WickedBoy6

Well, the Theros Gods' devotion is only Five, with one built in, and the Born/Journey Gods are all Seven, with two built in. Each of the Dictates have 2, as do the God weapons, and Karona has one of each. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definitely possible, especially if I fill up on more rainbow creatures and permanents, like Cromanticore, Maelstrom Nexus, and possibly Progenitus? VERY hard to cast, but 2 triggers for each Theros God, and four for each other god.

T

Terentius

I suppose. I haven't actually played much Commander, even though I have the 2013 UGW precon and a 5 color Sliver Commander deck. I'm not really familiar with the pacing and tempo of the format.

W

WickedBoy6

Well, unless you're going up against Turn-Two-Kill decks - and honestly, why are those fun to play with or against - the format is kind of long-form. I haven't had a match that went under a half-hour, and it's very easy to burn through thirty+ cards.

T

Terentius

So for devotion, I guess you're going to want to lean towards permanent cards. Maybe with multiple colored mana symbols, especially exploiting the more powerful permanents that have a lower cost with many colored mana symbols (i.e. WURBG or 1RRR). Many of the Commander creatures fit this description. Some others from a quick search:
  • Baleful Strix
  • Tidehollow Strix
  • Winged Coatl
  • Loreskin Coatl
  • Sprouting Thrinax
  • Scarland Thrinax
  • Vampire Nighthawk
  • Fires of Yavimaya
  • Flickerwisp
  • Detention Sphere
  • Vile Requiem
  • all of the Guildmages
  • Spellbreaker Behemoth
  • most Legendary Dragons

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it's all very thematic. Slow, but if opponents are playing board-sweepers like Wrath of God, this remains stable and inexorably becomes powerful. Then again, opponents will notice that and act accordingly...

T

Terentius

New Amonket God creatures! And do the Myojins from Kamigawa count?