New Commander/EDH deck idea. When will I stop?

Discussion in 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' started by WickedBoy6, May 20, 2014.

1. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

So, while I have my Bosh Commander in it's final stages of completion - I need, like, 4 more cards for it to be complete - and I have a Sliver one waiting in the wings, I thought about some new ones, since I will eventually deconstruct the 5 precons I currently have. One was Slivers, obviously, another was pure Green, mana ramp and lots of huge beaters to feed it to. It's currently code-named "Spoiled Meat" - because of all of the green beef. :D

HOWEVER, I am liking the idea of a Gods Commander deck more and more. I've been making preliminary lists about what could fit, see if you uys like it so far, and tell me what else could work:

The Commander
    Karona, False God

The Gods, of course
    Athreos, God of Passage
    Ephara, God of the Polis
    Erebos, God of the Dead
    Heliod, God of the Sun
    Iroas, God of Victory
    Karametra, God of Harvests
    Keranos, God of Storms
    Kruphix, God of Horizons
    Mogis, God of Slaughter
    Nylea, God of the Hunt
    Pharika, God of Affliction
    Phenax, God of Deception
    Purphoros, God of the Forge
    Thassa, God of the Sea
    Xenagos, God of Revels

Their Weapons
    Spear of Heliod
    Bident of Thassa
    Whip of Erebos
    Hammer of Purphoros
    Bow of Nylea

Their Dictations
    Dictate of Erebos
    Dictate of Heliod
    Dictate of Karametra
    Dictate of Kruphix
    Dictate of the Twin Gods

Sanctuaries, for value
    Ana Sanctuary
    Ceta Sanctuary
    Dega Sanctuary
    Necra Sanctuary
    Raka Sanctuary

Their Temples, for fixin's
    Temple of Abandon
    Temple of Deceit
    Temple of Enlightenment
    Temple of Epiphany
    Temple of Malady
    Temple of Malice
    Temple of Mystery
    Temple of Plenty
    Temple of Silence
    Temple of the False God
    Temple of Triumph

Guildgates, for more fixin's
    Azorius Guildgate
    Boros Guildgate
    Dimir Guildgate
    Golgari Guildgate
    Gruul Guildgate
    Izzet Guildgate
    Orzhov Guildgate
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Selesnya Guildgate
    Simic Guildgate

With my math being as sub-par as it is, I see the Commander, 15 creatures, 15 spells, and 21 land. 52 in total - not bad for off the top of the head - but it obviously needs more. What else would fit with the Gods?
  2. Terentius The Instigator

How are you gonna get the Theros Gods to become creatures without proper devotion?

EDIT: nevermind, I see you're still at 52 cards. Still, meeting the devotion requirements in 5 colors is going to be tough.
  3. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

Well, the Theros Gods' devotion is only Five, with one built in, and the Born/Journey Gods are all Seven, with two built in. Each of the Dictates have 2, as do the God weapons, and Karona has one of each. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definitely possible, especially if I fill up on more rainbow creatures and permanents, like Cromanticore, Maelstrom Nexus, and possibly Progenitus? VERY hard to cast, but 2 triggers for each Theros God, and four for each other god.
  4. Terentius The Instigator

I suppose. I haven't actually played much Commander, even though I have the 2013 UGW precon and a 5 color Sliver Commander deck. I'm not really familiar with the pacing and tempo of the format.
  5. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

Well, unless you're going up against Turn-Two-Kill decks - and honestly, why are those fun to play with or against - the format is kind of long-form. I haven't had a match that went under a half-hour, and it's very easy to burn through thirty+ cards.
  6. Terentius The Instigator

So for devotion, I guess you're going to want to lean towards permanent cards. Maybe with multiple colored mana symbols, especially exploiting the more powerful permanents that have a lower cost with many colored mana symbols (i.e. WURBG or 1RRR). Many of the Commander creatures fit this description. Some others from a quick search:
    • Baleful Strix
    • Tidehollow Strix
    • Winged Coatl
    • Loreskin Coatl
    • Sprouting Thrinax
    • Scarland Thrinax
    • Vampire Nighthawk
    • Fires of Yavimaya
    • Flickerwisp
    • Detention Sphere
    • Vile Requiem
    • all of the Guildmages
    • Spellbreaker Behemoth
    • most Legendary Dragons
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Well, it's all very thematic. Slow, but if opponents are playing board-sweepers like Wrath of God, this remains stable and inexorably becomes powerful. Then again, opponents will notice that and act accordingly...
  8. Terentius The Instigator

New Amonket God creatures! And do the Myojins from Kamigawa count?