New card layout for 8th edition

T

train

That would more than likely be a waste of eveything they've built upon.... everyone's collection from 8th back would be no good for any sanctioned play...

unless they created a "classic" league...

D

Darkstar

Goin by what train said.... would there be no boom for the older cards like there is now? I mean... would my Revised Shivan be of lil value than an 8th... which is now re made and stuff? That would suk... all those boosters and decks and ebay stuff and now... all for nothin? I mean sure ive had some fun, but have the fun is the trade to me... and no one around here will want my oldies :( Oh well... whadda ya say train? Wanna start a classic league? The cpa could sponsor us since its the loving giving magic forum it is u know?

T

train

I think being here like most of the other lifers.... already makes us involved in a "classic" league...

It's not easy to be old and kick butt in sanctioned tourneys when juniors parents are brain surgeons and his allowance is $1000.00 a week...

It's just easy to kick butt...

D

Darkstar

Err.... Im gonna bring up an old flame.... All Hail the Reverned Train? (bows in the presence of the omnipotent one)

E

EricBess

BTW, everyone. WotC does listen to what we have to say. Over the years, people on boards everyone have commented on little things that they don't like about the cards. Things like, "the names of white cards don't always stand out" and "power and toughness are really small in the corner for being such an important part of the game".

Granted, most magic players think status quo is the best thing that could happen.

I read through the boards and the comments made and you know what I see? A lot of short-sighted people complaning about change simply for the sake of complaining.

Anyway, from what I've heard, the card layout change allows them to do things with promos that they haven't done before. The foils with the new layout are supposedly spectacular. I'll try not to get my hopes up too high or nothing will be able to satisfy them. I'm assuming the foils will look nice. I know they won't be able to do things like they did with Volcanic Hammer, which is a shame, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do have.

As far as people who "hope this isn't permanent"...Of course this is permanent. 8th edition will be the first. When I heard about the card changes on Thursday (yes, I know it wasn't officially announced until Friday, but being a judge occasionally has to have a perk, right?), my biggest concern was that it would be a large change and that applying it to Scourge (which they are doing) would make block play tricky.

Then, I saw the new layout. The mana symbols are moved to...right where they used to be. Power and toughness were moved to...right where they used to be. In fact, everything on the card is right where it used to be.

Everything mechanically that could have caused a logistic issue for a player is right where it used to be. In other words, playing with old and new layout in the same deck is almost sure to cause no problems whatsoever.

That was my main concern and you no what I found out? Nothing to be concerned about. The layout is exactly the same. All that is changing is the look.

I think it is funny that this is getting almost as much critisism as changing the rules did back with 6th edition.

Anyway, I was in Chicago when the announcement was being made. You know what the WotC people said about the reaction from MTGNews? They were laughing about how long it was. They were almost bragging about how many pages of complaints they had received.

Is it because they don't care about feedback? No, it's because they knew a lot of people would complain. They also know that the same people will get over it. It's the same game we've been playing. I for one don't play the game because of the card layout. I play the game because I enjoy the strategy of it.

So, to people who complain, is this the worst thing going on in your life right now? Boy, do you have an easy life :D

A

Apollo

EricBess: So they knew people would complain, but that they "would get over it." So... what's the point with the change? You're making a change that you know people will hate but will eventually get over--but there's no real upside. Basically, the only people not complaining about the changes have been saying "it's not so bad," but not too many have said they actually like it.

And have you ever actually seen anyone complain that the name doesn't stand out too much? Or that P/T is too hard to read? I sure haven't. :p

E

EricBess

Apollo, you miss my point. Yes, there are lot of people complaining. But, there are also a lot of people that like the changes. They knew people would complain because Magic players like to complain about any change. But compared to the people that aren't saying much, that's a relatively small group. I've spoken with quite a few people who like the change or don't care about the change. It's just that the people who don't like changes seem to be more vocal than those that don't mind or like it.

T

train

the people liking the changes are the Borg race... for assimilation purposes... and former pokemon players... whom are now just waiting for the cards to be yellow and the cardbacks to change...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What EricBess says is true about the nature of most complaints and complainers... the people who tend to speak up about things are the ones who want to complain while the people who are happy about the change aren't going to say much.

Mechanically, this doesn't affect Magic gameplay, unlike 6th rules changes. It's just a change for the eyes and is that really something to worry about? :)

And Darkstar, I like your old cards... ;)

M

Mikeymike

Sometimes function should not come before form. This is one of those times.

I hate it.

T

train

No wonder Jean-Luc looked so much like the prodigal sorcerer...

Jean/Tim - twins separated at birth and now back together...

L

lilpinhead

how does everyone feel about the "new look" that wotc is giving to mtg? (it all starts wehn 8th edition comes out) personally i find it sort of sickening...but im sure that once i get over the initial shock ill survive.

T

train

I'm running 4 borg ships base deck... and 4 U.S.S. Enterpise in the sideboard...

I'm unbeatable now...:rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

what is the whole thing with the new look? why does everyone hate it so? and what is up with Black being so, unchanged?

M

Multani

Oh I can see it now...

Magic Player: Wanna play a game of Magic? I brought a deck.
Yugio Player: Uh...sure. Hold on. Lemme get my 8 year-old Magic deck.

Magic Player: *Starts playing.* Plays a morph card...face down.
Yugio Player: Hey! I thought we were playing Magic.

Magic Player: This is Magic.
Yugio Player: No this isn't. It looks like a Yugio card. It even flips down! Wait. Lemme go get my Yugio deck.

*Magic Player and Yugio player play in perfect harmony...using Magic/Yugio rules.

:mad:

Boycott 8th! Send WOTC a message. The new layout sucks!

I

Istanbul

If you ask around, a lot of players were attracted by the fantasy feel. Sure, the cards might look a little 'antiquated'. And yeah, the uppercase "h" is a little tough to read. But that's part of the charm; the borders were nice and big, contributing to the color...you could FEEL the red radiating off of Lightning Bolt.

Sure, there's more room for art in the new cards, and there's more room for rules text...but there's such a thing as TOO functional. A lot of the feeling is lost with the new set; it feels clean-cut. Orderly and tidy. And that's great if you're playing Star Trek or something...but the chaotic feeling of the fantasy setting is pretty much the whole point.

And yes...I'll admit it...I'm against this change overall. Mostly from the standpoint of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. These things will look FUGLY side-by-side with the other Magic cards, like you'd accidentally mixed two card games together.

Bleah.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Yeah, and most of these people were still here.

I changed my mind though, after I looked long and hard at a magic card the other day. Now I just don't see what the point was.

N

Nightstalkers

is it still certain that they will not change the backs of the cards? we still like that old book like look

Ferret

Staff member
Hey, they brought back Blood Moon - I'm happy. :) I used to use it in my goblin deck when facing non-red decks. They would have their Maze of Ith out and their own little army of critters that would chew my Goblins to pieces - then out came Blood Moon (and of course, Goblin King) and their life totals suddenly became negative thirty. Hooray.

As for the new look, who cares? I miss the way the Unlimited cards looked w/ their exagerated colour and the spelling out of each colour on the lands - I mean, BASIC lands :)

-Ferret

"...so it has a new paint job? It doesn't change the game..."