New card layout for 8th edition

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I think the "much more easy to understand" argument is a little weak-winded. I've never heard someone say they couldn't read the p/t on a card, or couldn't read the name, even on the white cards. I've asked to see other players cards before, but thats because either I can't see them because we're playing across from each other and the card is out of my field of vision, or I'm not familiar with the card.

I'm not in maniacal rage over this change, I'll get used to it. I think the new layout looks good, but I liked the classic one better. The only thing that really bugs me, is that they changed the artifact color to silver. I have no idea why this bothers me more than the actual layout, it just does.

B

bryson430

I don't like it. I don't as such have any problem with the new layout - just that it isn't the old layout - it's going to look like two different games. Mixing them up will only look stupid.

Anyway - just watch out, they'll change the card backs soon if we're not careful, so you buy more cards....if you ask me they've "gone a bit TSR.." if you know what I mean.

D

Darkstar

I say Ill be stickin to type one then whenever 8th comes out... Ive almost built my extended suicide black deck, and am waiting for legions to come out so i can finish my foil goblin deck... then im done. Could u imagine one of those foil new cards? Ugh... it will look like star trek cards!

Killer Joe

I saw the article on Brainburst about Wiz Co's new face lift on Magic cards.

Those of you who know me know that I am all for upgrading and change instead of stagnation and old. The art has gotten better in the last three years and now, finally, the face lift that's been much needed has arrived.

I remember when "Old Timers" complained about the expansion symbols changing to black, silver & gold to identify their rarity, I remember when knuckle heads hated the big mana symbol on the basic land cards claiming no one new to the game would know what to do with the land.

You know, Fire was once new and it finally became accepted. I really like the new look of the face of the cards.

Now if only they could get rid of that UGLY brown backing with deck master on it. Whatinthehell is Deck Master?

~Mark

Killer Joe

So, you're the "train" everyones talking about,.....hmmmmm, verrrry interesting......and,....what do you mean by "TWIN"?

R

rkoelsch

I like the new look. It doesn't look like Pokemon to me. it looks very clean.

T

train

as in it looks like both of them combined... The bolder texts on Pokemon, and the boxes of information found on both...

As for the deckmaster - it has nothing to do with the actual play of the game... but when all cards are on the table - face up of course...

you might as well have a Jean-Luc or Borg ship in your deck...

All I'm trying to point out is that it now lloks like every other game's design format you pull out of a pack... why would you want to conform when you created, and currently lead the market without previously conforming...

Granted the foil wrapping is proabably the best thing they ever did...

A

Apollo

I still don't like the colored expansions symbols. Or the huge mana symbols. The former screams "look at the money I spent for my deck!" when it's on the table, and the latter screams "look at me, i'm too stupid to read!" Granted the colored symbols are useful, but I dont' think they look good--the mana symbols have no redeeming values whatsoever.

The new look doesn't scream anything--in fact, it just sorta blends in with every other card game out there. Except, of course, the old cards; they'll look stupid on the table together. In short, I don't approve. :p

G

Gizmo

So I read this thread. You`re all up in arms - they must be a totally new format that stinks!

I load the page.

I see a Magic card. It looks like a Magic card to me. See, if you read it, it says Thorn Elemental. It even looks like a Thorn Elemental. Its not obvious what theyve changed.

Oh, wait... the card name and card type are now on a raised background. Well... sirree... lets call out the national guard!

I think this has been a very respectful upgrade to a tired old layout, changing things minimally. The only downside I can see is that it makes the cards look more like every other card game out there.

But come on... its a TINY TINY change. I think maybe spending all that time so close to the game has warped your minds about the importance of the tiniest details.

It looks good. Take off your 'we hate change' glasses and see that it looks almost exactly like 6th edition card. Only better.

R

Razormouse

I am a long time magic player. I think it looks way cooler then old ones. Now what would be cooler is if in the process they got rid of all them damnst white bordered cards. They are what is ugly ugly ugly ugly.

S

sageridder

While I don't particularly care for making the cards look so much like so many other ccg's, The only thing really that realy rubs me the wrong way is changing the artifact color.I don't know it just seems that while a new green and old green are still green,but new and old atrifact are different colors it changes something too ingrained too established.Just my two sheckels, I suppose for a current type two player it's less of an issue.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I gotta say while change is certainly unusual and wasn't expected by me, after looking at it it's not too bad. My main concern is that they don't change the back or size so you can still play with your older cards with them and it doesn't look like they did that, so everything's okay. The cards do look like another CCG like 5 Rings or something, but no biggie.

Some of you guys didn't read the article the whole way through, eh? :) It sounds like one of the main reasons for the change is to better bring out foils and Garfield DID give his seal of approval :)

R

rkoelsch

Gizmo likes it, I must hate it. j/k Magic is 10 years old. It is a game. Not a way of life or a religion. The very basis of it's uniqueness is understanding that the game changes. They printed split cards. How different where those? I am glad they changed the face now It looks like a new game instead of the same old one. But everyone is allowed their opinion so feel free not to like it.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Spidey, even if they did change the back of the cards, you could still play with your old cards and the new ones, you'd just have to play with them all in opaque sleeves.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

really? I find it much easier to shuffle with them. Thats right train, which is one reason I don't think they'll ever change the card back, they won't make it so that you can't play new cards and old cards together. at least I don't think they will.