New Card Ideas

D

Duster

I say keep what you have. I don't want to be stealing anyone's spotlight. Maybe save my lands for an expansion?

You'd probably want to save the Athenaeum land I suggested for another set as well, to keep with the bouncing lands theme.

[Edited by Duster on July 18th, 2000 at 06:40 PM]

D

Duster

wow, you people must think I stay up in bed at night thinking of these....

[Something to help green against control blue?]

Rebuttal GG (Uncommon?)
Instant

Counter target spell that counters a spell.
~this~ cannot be the target of spells or abilities.

[A twist on lightning bolt to balance it?]

Firedrop R
Instant

Target tapped permanent you control does not untap during your next untap step.
~this~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

[A twist on swords to plowshares]

Guilty Verdict W
Instant

Target tapped permanent you control does not untap during your next untap step.
Remove target creature from the game.
That creature's controller gains life equal to that creature's power.

That's it for today, I like the cards I posted yesterday more.

V

VoLRaTH

Frenkestain GG
Creature--Creature
*/*
Frenkestain's power and toughtness equall to lands
in play + permanents you control
Whenever a player plays a spell or a creature leaves
play Frenkestain put +1/+1 counter on it
1:Frenkestain gains trample
1+loose half of your life rounded up:Frenkestain
gets -1/-1

:=)

D

Duster

Bumbling Hulk 2GG
Creature - Hulk

Slow (~this~ cannot attack or use abilities requiring tapping until the second turn after it comes into play on your side)

6/4

?Amdari? Martyr 3B
Creature - Mercenary

T, Sacrafice ~this~: Search your library for a Mercenary card with converted mana cost 5 or less, put that card into plat and shuffle your library.

3/3

!Chaos Turtle!

I'm thinking about maybe taking some of my ideas like slow, the Amdari stuff and bouncing stuff and starting to work on an expansion for CoW.
How does that sound to you and anyone else?

C

Chaos Turtle

Sounds fine to me.
I have entered some "slow" creatures into the set, though I renamed the ability "Sloth."

There's no reason you can't go ahead and use them for an expansion though, but let me know what cards you don't want used in this set.

We still need a few more cards to finish this one up (see Casualties of War thread).

D

Duster

But I have a bunch of cards I posted that I'd like to keep for my expansion to CoW, expnasion name pending :)

So here's the list I'd like to keep, just names though, I'm not posting all the texts :)

Sloth Ability Cards:
Portly Mage
Maplebark Treefolk
Sluggish Walker
Bumbling Hulk

Bounce Abilty Cards:
Athenaeum
Lochs of Dread (Bounce Lands)
Pollute

Tap Target Permanent Cards (TTP):
Mute (Sorry! :))
Firedrop
Guilty Verdict

Cannot attack if did last rurn cards:
Intermittence
Battleflag

Merc and Reb:
Amdari Kingpin
Amdari Martyr
Red Elephant

Other Cards I love!:
One Fell Swoop or Prelude to Silence (I'd just like
to keep one or the other of these)
Leverage
Pacifist Priestess
Shortchange
Dark Sermon

So that's what, 20 cards I stole back? Sorry man :)
I'm always thinking of this stuff, and I'll keep posting ideas for this set. There's probably another 20 cards I didn't take away :)

F

Fire Slinger

I thought I would come up with some Tinker-like cards-one for each color. I need some help for the names.

Blue-Gets Tinker for Artifacts

(White)
????
2W
Sorcery
At the time you play ????, sacrifice an enchantment.
Search your library for an enchantment card and put that enchantment into play. Shuffle your library afterward.

(Green)
????
2G
Sorcery
At the time you play ????, sacrifice a creature.
Search your library for an creature card and put that creature into play. Shuffle your library afterward.

(Red)
????
2R
Sorcery
At the time you play ????, sacrifice a land.
Search your library for an instant or sorcery card and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterward.

(Black)
????
2B
Sorcery
At the time you play ????, sacrifice two permanents.
Search your library for an artifact, creature or enchantment and put that card into play. Shuffle your library afterward.

A

Apollo

The Green one is the same thing as Natural Order for one less. The white one is another Rector type card, which I don't think we really need. And the Black one, well, you can play it turn 3 and get the Avatar of Woe or some other game-ending card. The card disadvantage would be more than made up for by the Avatar.

I

Istanbul

VoLRaTH - Awww. Isn't that cute.
BUT IT'S WRONG!!!

Sorry, dude. We're looking for balanced, playable cards, not cards that are broken seventeen ways to Tuesday.

C

Chaos Turtle

Simply add the ability "~ can't be the target of spells or abilities while it's in your hand, library, or graveyard."

Then, make the mana cost 9BBGG.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that you were looking for this in the CoW thread, and thought maybe this would help:

Crystal Cave
Land
Crystal Cave comes into play tapped
Crystal Cave does not untap during your untap step
1: Untap Cyrstal Cave. This ability can only be used during your upkeep, and only once per turn
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
"They exist in a rainbow world of color."

That might still be a little broken, since it's going to be used in a limited format here, with even more limited LD. Does it need to be a land? How about wrapping the ability up in a creature instead:

Prismatic Warrior
Summon Warrior
1/1
1,T: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool
Whenever Prismatic Warrior is sent to the graveyard from play, remove it from the game instead
"They're grown in crystal caves, far below (insert whatever world name is decided for the set)"

Does that help? :D

[Edited by TomB on July 22nd, 2000 at 05:55 AM]

A

Apollo

I think that the land version is fine, except you'd have to change the wording so that you can only tap it once per upkeep. Otherwise, you'd just Wild Growth it and make infinite mana in your upkeep and Stroke them out.

Apollo

G

Gizmo

CHAOS TURTLE!
Can you post me a list of what you have up to now. I`m concerned about the set balance because I looked at the list in the article 'The List So Far' and quite a few of the cards were broken (not just undercosted, but broken) and a number of them made poor use of mechanics and a little polish would make them much better.
It seems like it would be a good idea to let somebody in to edit the cards in the set, and I`d like to have a go. Possibly I`m the right guy for the job seeing as I`m the most tourney-experienced guy at the CPA and I`ve also probably got the best theoretical grasp of Magic card balance.

Oh yeah, and...

GIZMO
WG
Creature - Legend
During each player`s upkeep put a 1/1 Green Mogwai token into play under your control if that player controls an Island.
Whenever a Mogwai deals combat damage to a creature remove the Mogwai from the game and put a 2/2 Gremlin token into play under the damaged creature`s controllers control.
1/3

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Though I think Istanbul and Gizmo would be much better at things like finding broken cards, and balancing things (though I think Giz needs to add 1 or 2 to his card's CC). Maybe I could help with the background story a bit, and with stuff like flavor text. Send me whatever you've got on the storyline, if you want, and a list of cards that need flavor text, and I'll see what I can come up with.

A

Apollo

I'd like to see a list too. It'd be great if you'd make another thread with the list as it stands after all suggestions. That wasy we could all make suggestions and comments.

M

manchot_13

i want a list to
ducksoup@magnolia.net

and i want to do some flavor text to