Nemesis

M

Mr_Pestilence

Lin Sivvi is one of 3-4 "hot" rares, and the set has only been out a week, so of course prices are high. But look at all the rares that you can pick up for a buck or two, even now.

Prices on these cards are so low that it's hardly worth posting them, since it costs money to post, and you have to pay a small percentage on the final bid price.

W

Wizard2000

Since you mention you are having a hard time finding Lin Sivvi, I just wanted to let you all know that I have all the Nemesis rares up at eBay under my user ID

wizard2000@excelonline.com

As for the pricing, yes you are correct about the low prices on items. That's one reason I mentioned having an auction here at the CPA. I might start my own auction of sorts in the Trading Post soon in order to stay away from eBay fees. The $.25 per posting + 5% of final bid is killing me. If I could find time to learn to program CGI scripts in Perl I could do my own little auction thing on my web site. Oh well... something to dream about. :)

C

ChasDen

Hello,

As for ebay, (online auctions in general).

Since November of 1998 we have listed nearly 7000 auctions. With a total success rate of nearly 85%. Online auctions have their peaks and valleys. In ebay’s case they have experienced a lot of trouble in the last 6 months. There complete down time and partial down time is a huge factor. Sundays and Wednesdays are often impossible to get on. Sure the hot cards will demand the big bucks, but as a seller you have to be aware of all the factors that influence buying. Site traffic and time of day make a huge difference. Demand and prices for “magic” as a whole is not down. Supply is way up because every one and their brother thinks that they are going to get rich selling cards. But for the most part prices have remained stable. I love to play as well as sell, and it kills me to let a $15.00 card go for $3 or $4 bucks. I have also been amazed to see a pair of cards that usually only go for a buck or 2 sell for $20.00. When I asked the guy if he knew what he was doing his reply “Yep, I need those cards to kick my room mates butt this weekend, how much extra do I need to add to have them sent express mail” By the time all was said and done, he got his cards on Saturday before noon, he paid me $43.50, and did kick his room mates butt.

Just a sellers point of view.

Enjoy
Life is too short

W

Wizard2000

I agree with what you said, but I feel supply is about the same, it is demand and interest that are way down...

As for the $43.50 for the cards.. all I can say is WOW. I wish I could do that all the time :)

K

K1

I too have recently been selling on ebay, and noticed the prices on your run of the mill rares are down. If you have the time though, you can still make a pretty good profit.

I suppose if your an online store and need the huge amounts of volume to move merchandise stagnating, this isnt really for you, but what I do is watch the going going gone category. While there are fluke auctions, you can get a pretty good feel for the flux of card prices, and now which singles to sell. For instance, Gaea's Cradle seems to be up, going for $10-$15 a pop, which is pretty high for a type2 card.

As for type 1, my advise is to wait for summer. Prices seem to go up in general about that time, when more people have money (sumemr jobs for the schoolbound) and time to spend on magic.

If you can't wait till then, repacks are another great way to go. Not to say I'm an expert on this, I've only run one. But it surprises me; it seems that if the people pay not too much more than what they would if they bought the cards in singles, they turn out fairly happy. Its a nice way to extend the price of the really good type 1 stuff. For instance, a mox ruby might go for $80-$100 dollars by itself, but throw in a couple decent type2 rares, and you could get about $200. One word of advice though, its probably not worth the money to feature the auction. People do searches on mox and lotus and the like, so people will find it. Also, don't start the bid low and hope it will go up. It wont, much. Set a reasonable price, $5 is about right.

Also, these repacks take a LOT of effort to complete. Be sure you are up to it :)

just my $.25
K1 out

"How did this thread turn into this?"

[Edited by K1 (02-21-2000 at 10:13 PM).]

C

Chaos Turtle

You've got it, Dune. Not only can you use mana abilities anytime you have priority, you put the Tangle Wire ability on the stack, and can do all kinds of stuff before it resolves.

M

Mr_Pestilence

That's the way it is. Ebay is great for picking up "non top-10" cards. Rishadan Ports, Squee and other hot cards draw high bids, but your generic Blizzard Elemental is usually less than a dollar. This is great for completing sets, theme decks, or I-don't-care-if-it-sucks-I-just-want-to-try-it decks.

But for those trying to make a few bucks, Magic is really down. I sold some old Type I stuff around Christmas and it was hardly worth the time it took to post. What I thought would bring about $100 total was more like $40.

Where is the fine line between broken and interesting? Most people agree that Urza's Saga had so many broken cards that it discouraged many players, who just quit. In an effort to slow the game down, they've made it boring, so more people will probably quit. As more people leave the game than start it, a glut of cards is created, and that is what's killing prices.

[Edited by Mr_Pestilence (02-21-2000 at 12:37 PM).]

Ferret

Staff member
I have got to get online more often. The thread started w/ someone saying that Revised had no lousy rares (can we say LACES?) and turned into auction central...works for me, because I need to sell some cards!

Recently my wife and I got caught behind in our bills, so I decided to unload some of my more expensive cards. I thought I could make a few hundred for my Lotus, Mox Jet, and my almost complete set of Dual Lands (one of my Bayous is German). I went to a local store and was offered only $350 for the whole lot!

So, we've decided to go w/ ebay, but now I'm pensive...

-ferret

"$350?????"

D

Dune Echo

Ferret, I wouldn't do it right now. You won't get much higher than 350 there either.

C

Chaos Turtle

Tip: sell them individually, not in a lot, if you use an online auction house...

K

K1

Hey now, I did make an exception for the laces in that original post
. What I meant to say was that when I started in revised, almost every rare I got in a pack was easily playable.

W

Wizard2000

Ferret, the amount you would get would depend on which set they came out of and their condition. From what I see, the UL Lotus pulls more than the others. I've seen a pristine UL Lotus go for nearly $400 on eBay. I see Moxes around the $100 range. If you put them in the featured category auctions ($14.95)and made the text bold ($2.00) they would be noticed by a lot more people.

Chaos Turtle, selling individual cards on eBay is difficult as you have to pay $0.25 for each listing. That forces me to charge high-ass shipping rates or lose my ass in eBay fees (which I already do anyway). I would like to find a free auction dedicated to MtG similar to MTGNews, but from someone that will actually help me when it doesn't work!! I have emailed them repeatedly and I get no response.