Nemesis

K

K1

Well, today I went out and got my token booster pack of Nemesis. (I'm more of a collector now, haven't tried to keep up after Urza block). Woohoo! I got a legendary rare! oh wait. Its rath's edge. Um.... I really don't see the point. Four mana and a land sacrificed to do one damage? Whats the point? The only good I can see it doing is killing weenies, and by the time you have the mana base to start using it, the weenies would be all over you already.

I remember a time, waaay back in revised, when almost any rare was kinda cool or at least useful in some way (ok, maybe not the laces), and I was pretty happy with almost every pack. What do you people think? Is there a trend towards crappy rares? And why are they crappy? Is it that the other cards are too overpowered so that overshadow the mediocre ones? or are they really THAT bad?

K1 out

-"ah well. at least the art is cool."

W

Wizard2000

To be totally honest I have no idea why WotC would make rares that are absolutely useless. The Rath's Edge land is an example, and I will 99% most likely never see it in play. Another example is the black card from UD, Carnival of Souls.

Perhaps WotC R&D think that we will just become used to this and accept it as part of the game? It seems that their plan is working to some degree.

At this rate I don't know if the future of the game is a very bright one. This saddens me very much as I love the game, but I am growing weary of crap rares. At least make it useful!!

I

igfett

i agree. i spent a weeks salary (seriously, minimum wage is really that low) to buy a box, and was extremely disapointed in some of the rares. raths edge, 2 tangle wire, the mercenaries for goblins, elves, and merfolk. there were a number of good rares, and foils, so i was not dissapointed as a whole. but some of it is pure chaff

Q

Quill

Hmmm..wouldn't carnival of souls make a good candidate for a card to "Donate" to your opponent? Could win a few games. And Tangle wire seems like a good card for people who really want to slow a game down..maybe to get out a morphling by bouncing it back at the end of an opponents turn. I know what you guys mean about getting crappy rares, but maybe some of these cards can be really good if we give them a chance...or maybe I'm just too optimistic :)

T

theorgg

Personally, fett, If I got the elf,gob, & folk tutors, I would be happy...

and have you TRIED TANGLE WIRE???
It's bloody AMAZINg in the way of disruption.

they tap 4. do the upkeep right(tap effect under fading effect), tap tangle wire, tap 2 permanants. the number decreses as you go along.

then you feed it to atog when it has no counters...

as for rath's edge, It's good in sealed. they were worried about a colorless damage source being dominating in limited, so they made it rare.

same w/ the new maze of ith...

I

igfett

well, i hate the off color mercenaries. wanna trade? and i can see how raths edge might be too good as a common, but i don't think making it uncommon would be too extreme. i mean, i only got one or two of any uncommon in the box, so it's not like it would be "dominant" as an uncommon. it's like a 10th pick in draft, more often than not. i mean, 4 mana and sack a land?ooooh, ahhhhh. good vs spellshapers, but a 20 turn clock is far from intimidating. and i guess tangle wire could be OK. whatever. there just seems to be too many rares that make you groan when you find them. kor haven is not one of them. i love that card, and actually got 2 in the box!!! some higher power must want me to play white, as i also pulled 2 paralax wave, 2 exhile spellshapers (1 foil!) and a lin sivvi. that's good stuff. but rath's edge, tangle wire (twice), crappy mercenaries, paralax inhibitor, belbe's portal(OK, so this one is a bit of fun, but i prefer the incubator)....

[Edited by igfett (02-19-2000 at 10:55 PM).]

C

ChasDen

Ah as the bag lady in the park will say “one persons garbage is another persons treasure”. I do agree on the Rath's Edge, but Consider:

1. Angelic Chorus - White Enchantment (Whenever a creature comes into play under your control, gain life equal to that creature's toughness.)
2. Carnival of Souls - Black Enchantment (Whenever a creature comes into play, you lose 1 life and add (B) to your mana pool.)
3. Drain Life - Black Sorcery (Drain Life deals 1 damage to a target creature or player for each (B) you pay in addition to the casting cost. You then gain 1 life for each 1 damage dealt. You cannot gain more life than the toughness of the creature or the total life of the player Drain Life damages.)
4. Songs of the Damned - Black Interrupt (Add (B) to your mana pool for each creature in your graveyard.)
5. Hermit Druid Green Summon Druid (G,T): Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a basic land card. Put that card into your hand and put all other revealed cards into your graveyard.)

AGH the possibilities. The chorus gives you life for toughness, the druid lets you dump the deck into the graveyard, the damned gives you black mana for creature cards in your graveyard, the drain life does direct damage + gain life. And where oh where would I use the souls you ask?

Corpse Dance - Black Instant (Buyback (2). Put the top creature card from your graveyard into play. That creature is unaffected by summoning sickness this turn. Remove that creature from the game at the end of turn.)

Play nice until you get the Chorus, a souls and a drain life in your hand. Get the druid in play and dump lots into the graveyard – (still playing nice) btw most of my creatures all have low power, if any but lots of defense. Then when the time is right and I have the mana, lots of goodies in the graveyard, I play the souls on my turn, and I start to dance um into play, gain life, add another swamp to an already bursting pool, repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse, and then hit um with the drain life when done. You ask what is the goal? See if you can end the game with more that 108 life.

If you do let me know

BTW I have found that you may only get to play this once with friends, They get irate and say go home and take your cards with you.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Or there's also:
Angelic Chorus
Carnival of Souls
Drain Life
Aluren (Don't pay casting cost if 3 or less)
Man-o'-War (3CC, when it comes into play, bounce a creature)

Bounce Man-o'-War infinite times, cast Drain Life. :)

-mike

T

theorgg

I'll trade for them, If I have anything you want.

what do you value them at?

I

igfett

that's just sick! i don't wanna talk to you no more! combo decks using terrible cards like <shudder> carnival of souls!!?!?!?!?!?? that's not normal, man! now, if it was a more creative combo that won in some alternate way, like the dreaded poison counter<!!!> then it would be OK, but drain Life? no spank you.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, what else can I sink X Black mana into?

And igfett, how many posts have you had since you came back? How many posts have there been in the last hour? 20? 30? :)

-mike

I

igfett

hehehehe, yeah. lots of stuff recently. it's just fun to rediscover this place, it's like talking to a group of old friends. :) i had posts in the mid 40's when i returned. this will be post number.......

W

Wizard2000

I opened a case of Nemesis and I have to say that the randomizer worked out really well. I got 4-6 of every rare and about 14 complete sets of uncommons. Then of course the buttloads of commons.

Some of the cards may suck but at least you get close to the same number of them all. I remember getting buttloads of certain cards and none of others when I was in my Tempest days.

D

Duel

Maybe I'm returniong the topic to the beginning, but I like rath's edge. It's a constant source of damage. Plus with groundskeeper, it's really not as bad as it looks. okay, so it's as bad as it looks. It's still breakable. BTW, has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of buying a preconstructed deck in nemesis? I'm not upset because they're bad (I expect that) but they now only have 2 rares!!! How cheap can you get?

Q

Quill

Ugh duel...I bought the "eruption" preconstructed deck from Nemisis for my wife to play. She is NOT impressed. She even asked me "Are these the same kind of red cards Magic used to have?" The deck is supposed to be a speedy eruption, somebody ley me know when the explosion happens please, i'll be asleep :)

D

Dune Echo

Orgg, I'm with you on that man! GOD! I LOVE TANGLE WIRE! Awesome art, great effects. I'm telling you, in my version of the Mono-Brown deck (I use 3 Mana Crypts with Umbilicus and Well of Knowledge plus Fireballs for lots of damage. I'll post the decklist today.) And man, I'll keep bouncing it with Umbilicus before it dies and tap the Tangle Wire, a Well of Knowledge and a Mountain every turn. Bounce it and use it again. It's awesome as a slowdown for weenie decks! If anyone needs help with weenie decks, use this card! IT'S GREAT!

Question for the rules gurus out there:
Say I have 3 Islands and Tangle Wire out. Can I tap my Islands without Tangle Wire getting them first? I'm sure I can, but I want to know.

W

Wizard2000

In response to Quill and the eruption precon deck. I imagine the name is eruption because WotC expects you to erupt into a fit of fury when you realize you paid $10 for a completely useless deck. That or you will erupt when you lose over and over and over. Anyway... I just got through a huge number of auctions on eBay and about 60% did not sell, a sign that people are losing interest? You be the judge.

D

Dune Echo

Prices are down?! Are you kidding me? I can't get my hands on any Lin Sivvi's right now! And I'm dying to try my Conspiring Rebels With Heart idea. (Anyone got anymore ideas about that yet?)