My first time...

D

DÛke

...NOOO, I wasn't thinking of THAT:)!
Anyway, when I first startd Magic, I was playing like all beginers, over 100 card decks with all colors; very funny. I remember the first time I looked at a realy Magic card, since my decks were all constructed out of Portal cards.

The "real" Magic card I have ever held in my hand is Humility. I remember exactly when I bought ONE copy just to hold it. It was cool. I felt like I was a veteran (rieeeeeeeght:)).

Well, what's your first Rare Magic card?
My Humility, I wish it was Unmask, that'd been cool:). What did it make you feel like?
What wonderful old, old days they were.
Now I have to deal with Instants, Artifacts, and ALL that! DANG IT!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think was a Shivan Dragon I got in my first ever Revised Starter back in '94 (I don't remember the otehr rare).

B

Baskil

I was given most of my cards when I started, but the first pack I bought was a Mirage pack, which included a.... Phyrexian Dreadnought! Sigh :(

Z

Zadok001

I can't for the life of me remember clearly... I started playing out of my friend's collections, just snagging whatever cards they would give me, and playing with 'em. (These were the days when Dark Ritual was a permanent, Kird Ape got +1/+2 for EVERY forest you controled, and Walls were creature enchantments.) They probably gave me some rares in there, but I wouldn't know what they were, since none of us understood the rariety scheme. (We DID understand that there was only one Royal Assasin in the world, and we had it, because we'd never seen another.)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My first rare was a Shivan Dragon, back when Arabian Nights came out. I bought my first back of AN after that and my first AN rare was......King Suleiman. I cursed God for that.

Ransac, who just got struck by lightning

Melkor

While I can't specifically remember my first rares, in fact I don't think I even knew that there was a difference in the commonality(I don't think thats a word but I certainly don't care) of cards. The year was 1993 (or so) and I hardly had any money. Of course I played with the huge decks, but I also played a variation called Double Deck where you would play with a deck of Spells and a deck of Land, you could draw 2 cards total a turn from either pile and you started out with 7 land in play. I mean how was I supposed to just sit there with my War Mammoth and wait until 4 turns had past to cast him? Back to the rares though, thinking back I remember most of my games comeing down to holding my opponent off until I drew my Mana Flare and killed him with a giant Fireball. I also had a Fork and a Taiga for a long time before they were eventually traded off. Got a hell of a deal for the Fork but was pretty much screwed for my Taiga, not as badly as my other friend though, who traded a dual land for two basic lands of the corresponding types. Ah, to be young and stupid then, as opposed to being young and stupid now.

T

terzarima

Ahhhh, the good old days, well I was so young at that time, probably 7 when I bought my first starter pack in 1994, I thnk my rares were Blessing, Nevynrral's Disk (ahhh pretty cool no?), and Drain power, ahhh I played that deck everywhere and won supprisingly, against many people. Oh well... now its so competitive and, well... you have to spend more to keep up

D

dw51688

My first one was a crappy, crappy, crappy coffin puppets tht I got for free.

M

Mr_Pestilence

My first rare was Force of Nature. I thought it was a common though, because there were 3 FoN's in the first 5 packs (of Revised) I bought!

G

Gerode

The first non-portal rare I ever owned may have been Inferno from 5th Ed, part of a starter box a friend sold me. It still resides in my trade binder. I thought Scaled Wurm was the most valuable card I had at the time, though :p

Coincidentally, the first rare I opened in a booster pack was a Humility! My Humility deck was my first semi-focused deck, and I still keep it around as one of my best decks (when the entire table doesn't focus all their frustration [and Disenchants] on me).

[begin rambling flashback]
My first card was Shatter. A few years ago I went to the local library, where a local shop was offering free Magic lessons, giving away a starter box of Portal. On the way, my brother's friend showed me his collection, and gave me the Shatter.
[end rambling flashback]

R

Riva Iron-Grip

now most of you wont believe this, but my first rare that i ever got in a pack, was a juzahm djinn.
and when i went to the local card shop, the guy ripped me off. he only gave me 10 dollars for it. man do i feel stupid now. but that's okay, i didn't understand that you got a rare in everypack till about 3-4 years ago. we went around buying packs, and looking for rares, when there was 1 in everypack. pisses me off now.

D

DÛke

...LOL:D. That's funny man. That's funny:).

Gizmo, you KNOW exactly the card you got? Dang, you must have good memmory man:).

Dw, Coffin Puppets are not so crappy. Not at all.
And WHO ON EARTH would GIVE YOU anything for free:), j/k.

Gerode, yours was Humility too!? That's cool.
Me too, I still keep Humility safe somewhere.
I look at it every now and then when I'm doing my homework. It makes me feel good:).

Riva, I don't believe you:).

G

Gizmo

Yep, we got three starters for myself, my brother, and my best friend Neil Rigby. And I got that wrong, thinking about it - Neil got the Thoughtlace.

I got Lord Of The Pit, Darkpact, Aladdin`s Lamp.
My brother got Force Of Nature, Timber Wolves, Bottle Of Suleiman.
Neil got Thoughtlace, a dual land, Winter Orb (thems were some looooooong games).

C

Cateran Emperor

Hmm, I believe my first rare was a Shivan Dragon from revised. I believe I still have him in a hard case somewhere. My uncommons I think were a Black Knight (still one of my favorite creatures) and something I though weird at the time but now I don't even remember (it may have been a Deathgrip, but I'm not sure)

H

Hellion

My first rare was Sibilant Spirit and also Call of the Wild I pulled from one of those pretty boxed (the one with a repainted Archangel) 6th Edition Starters for beginners.

However, my first booster rare was Masticore and it wasn't even hot then, however, a guy said that it had potential and wanted to buy it from me for 5 bucks. I being a beginner and wanting to collect cards at that time, refused to sell it......

I got lucky in a way I guess.....I still have good old Masty in my collection binder.

:)

C

Copious Wrath

My first rare was Taiga. Ahh, the non-damage dual lands. The only reason I remember it is because I got a cruddy trade for it.