• Allow Counterspells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't allow Counterspells

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

BigBlue

Also, we have deck format...

I am also including a poll whether Counters should be allowed... I really think they'd slow the game too much, waiting on responses to every play would suck.

But, if it isn't Tribal, then we'd have to allow counters, no way should combo decks be allowed to run amok...

Also, I didn't include Block because I ran out of options.... indicate that as other if you want it.

B

BigBlue

Blue does not stink.... :)

That Ox gets washed by Paul B every week.... :)

The Color Blue in Magic doesn't stink either. Is it the blue players fault that WotC gave blue the most powerful abilities? In my opinion, the original sin was making CS a common. As an uncommon, you didn't see 4 in every blue deck you faced. Hell, I think it could even have merited being made rare. it is certainly as powerful as Birds are to Green... Of course it's too late for that now.

Add Bounce, and Blue can pretty much handle anything... then they give it free counters, and buyback bounce... insane. But hey, they did restrict Ancestral Recall.... :)

B

BigBlue

3 what? Packs? or 3 Players?

I'm pretty sure we'd see players if we did a draft, but it might take a while to manage...

I'd **open** the packs and send them to all players, then they would send them to the next player.... problem is, unless we find a quick way to accomplish picks, just drafting could take a month...

I think sealed would be easier... and I'd kinda like to run an Alpha Sealed game.... :)

W

WickedBoy6

Count me in for voting Type 1.

As far as counters go, that's personal preference...Let it be known, though, that if I'm countered, that person's usually ends up being my main target.:D

J

Jigglypuff

I'd like to do a tribal format again. I rather like the current rules we used in the first game.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, the original sin was making CS a common. As an uncommon, you didn't see 4 in every blue deck you faced
Maybe back in the days of pre-Revised when people were just learning and catching on, but since players overturned Garfield's idea of just one Starter and a couple of boosters per player, getting four counterspells would not have been a problem even if it was uncommon or rare. It would be easier to trade for a dual land though :)

R

rkoelsch

Counterspell started out as uncommon. I think it changed in 5th or 6th to common. really didn't stop it from being popular before.

J

Jigglypuff

Spidey's got it right. Richard's original vision was that people would buy a starter or two and a fw packs and would increase their collection by trading and ante. Under those conditions, getting four uncommon Counterspells would have been a difficult chore.

(- Steve -)

B

BigBlue

One other note.... Back in the days when players first started, there were no checklists, scrye and whatnot which depicted what was Rare, Unc, or Common.... So, I can remember trading commons for rares and vice versa because we only cared what the cards did at that point... It wasn't until we found singles and scrye that rarity mattered. I had 4 CS very early on, having traded for them among friends who had all bought a starter or two and a few boosters.

It didn't suck that we played MP ante the first time I played and I won like 20 cards... which was a ton considering I only had a starter and some boosters and basically played with all of the cards. The only rares I recall owning at first were Bayou and Roc of Kher Ridges... Those were the days, when magic was really fun and new, when you opened a pack and had no Idea what the cards were until you'd read them and tested them out. Now, with spoiler lists and rarity symbols, it's lost a bit of it's **magic**.

Oh, and for the record, Ice Age was the first place CS was a common, and 4th was the first base set I believe with it Common. If it was rare, I don't think it would have seen any of the limited sets, and wouldn't nearly be as prominent as it is. Does Everybody have 4 Birds? I have 3, and while I don't buy base sets (and haven't since 5th) I've never traded one away, and I've been playing since '94. If CS were the same, I don't think you'd see 4 in every blue deck. It is really one of the most powerful cards, two mana to stop one, or more cards (like an early ritual for a vampire, or any number of cards which require sacrifice to cast). Boomerang is a common and should be, but CS should have been a rare imho and been restrictedto base sets. The inefficient counters are fine as commons(spell blast, power sink - even in it's weakened modern form where it can be responded to with instants).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Does Everybody have 4 Birds? I have 3, and while I don't buy base sets (and haven't since 5th) I've never traded one away, and I've been playing since '94. If CS were the same, I don't think you'd see 4 in every blue deck
There were checklists if you could wait for the next Duelist :)

I think Birds are different, as you're not going to use them in a deck like Stompy. You're going to use them when you need different colored mana.

Which is almost the same thing for blue; unless you're playing a Fish deck that isn't focused on countering, you're probably going to run 3-4 Counterspells. I mean, a "cheap" counter without any penalty, you can't really do any better.

As a personal note, I also started out with a Revised Starter and a couple of boosters; I remember trading away my Tropical Island 'cause I didn't use U/G at the time for probably commons. I remember seeing Lightning Bolts for the first time and thinking they're common? I gotta get me some of those... :)

B

BigBlue

The first time I saw the duelist was issue 3. there were only 2 places you could find cards in town at that point, the one which carried the duelist was on the other side of town... so it wasn't until later after playing that I bought a duelist, and then got a subscription...

So, I didn't have that available for a while... I think my first list with rarities came from that first strategy guide which had a checklist, or maybe it was from an online source... I don't recall. It was probably scrye...

consequently, the place I bought my cards sold them for 2.50 a pack, and had legends at $6 and antiquities for $4.50.... I vowed never to pay more than face cost so I never got any legends or antiquities... The store owner held out for a month or so before opening singles... he was concerned he'd be **ripping us off** by opening the packs for singles... of course he then did start ripping us off, at least that's the way I felt when he charged $4 for dual lands which was more than a pack... My friends scooped up every one of them and used em... I never realized that singles were cheaper since you **knew** you weren't getting a lace or magnetic mountain... I can remember when Web was considered cool and hard to find...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I remember when duals were one of the most expensive cards at that time that was available in a current set. Then they took them out of 4th and they really skyrocketed.

Along the same vein, I remember reading about the first World Championship match between Zak Dolan and Bertrand Lestree and trying to reconstruct their decks. I decided to get a Library of Alexandria for $20 and thinking I must be crazy to be paying that much money :)

I also remmeber getting land in your booster... now that sucked. I'm glad they took that out :)

B

BigBlue

I've been recalling that lately.... the lands in the uncommon slots.... that was really a bummer. in the common slots it wouldn't have mattered, we all needed lands... but eating up the slot for a white knight, Serra, Black Knight, Hypnotic Spectre, Sol Ring, or any other of the great early uncommons was a real pisser, especially if you pulled a lace as a rare...

I remember having 10 hurricanes, Ley Druids, and Keldon Warlords... those were the Uncommons I always managed to pull... One of the last cards I got to complete my set of revised was a lowly Desert Twister... I only ever got 1 in all the revised packs I bought (which was quite a few... maybe 15 starters and 2-3 boxes of boosters) I was hooked and worked across the street from the card shop.... Though I was newly married.... But that was in the days when we played 2 or 3 times a week... and there were 7 in our playgroup. eventually 4 of them left and were hard to replace. our group is only 4 now with a couple drifters once in a while... And we're down to once a week and sometimes not even that often.

B

BigBlue

On topic now... enough nostalgia.... :)

It looks like Booster Draft may win out here unless we get some more votes...

Please submit your desires for packs to draft.

give me your set of 3 packs, I'll comprise a ranking to determine the packs based on submissions...

If you don't want to draft and are playing, then you'll need to vote something else...

Since they aren't real cards, we can draft ANY sets, but they don't all work together . . . Ice Age, Visions, and Antiquities would be very bizarre.... I think all the packs should be the same among players... but for a truly bizarre draft, I guess I could see allowing different ones among players (you'd have to stick to all 15 card packs though).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think "odd" expansions are fine. It'll make you think :)

I don't really care, but I'll pick Tempest, Mirage, and Ice Age.

J

Jigglypuff

While I think that a booster draft could be very problematic, I think it would be neat to try. If we do a booster draft, I'd like to draft Mirage, Stronghold, and Apocalypse.

(- Steve -)

T

train

What???...

The mechanics don't even blend...

you could mix tempest and legions though...

I personally think Saga block is the way to go...