MTG Quiz

• Thread starter The Wise Jester
  • Start date
B

bryson430

Surely (if this were any other card) that would mean the "Target" 1996 World Champion that you are searching for, using an ability of the 1996 World Champion in play.

It's a pointless argument as it can never be played...but my point is, the text on the card is irrelevant until the card is in play or being played...is it not? Is there any other card that has an ability that can be played from your library?

T

The Wise Jester

All right, sorry I've been out.

Here's the Answers:

1. Celestial Convergence, Coalition Victory, Chance Encounter, Battle of Wits, Epic Struggle, Mortal Combat, and Test of Endurance

2. Bind

3. Tempest- Speed
Urza's Block- Flexibilty and Enchantments
Mercadian Block- Alternate costs and spellshapers
Invasion- Color and Multi-color
Odessey- Graveyard
Onslaught- Creature type (your answers should be
somewhat close to these)

4. Fact or Fiction (FOFAEOYTYL)

5. Ascendant Evincar

J

Jigglypuff

Originally posted by bryson430
Surely (if this were any other card) that would mean the "Target" 1996 World Champion that you are searching for, using an ability of the 1996 World Champion in play.

It's a pointless argument as it can never be played...but my point is, the text on the card is irrelevant until the card is in play or being played...is it not? Is there any other card that has an ability that can be played from your library?
Surely it doesn't. By the Golden Rule, the card's ability can be activated while it's in the library because the card specifically says it can. If the card was intended to be able to search out copies of itself and put them on top of your library, they would have left out the "only if this is in your library" clause because it would have been unnecessary.

(- Steve -)

B

bryson430

I suppose so...my point really is that by common useage, you can't play a creature ability (or that of any card) until the card is in or coming into play...and the line about the "only play this if it's in your library" could be taken to apply to the target that you're fetching.

What I was really saying was that the card wording isn't as clear as it could be...I don't really think it fetches copies of itself...it's a Legend, so what would be the point?

J

Jigglypuff

The wording isn't very clear, but what do you expect from pre-6th Edition? And whenever a card refers to itself by name, it means "this card", not any other card that may have that same name. Therefore, when the 1996 World Champion card refers to itself ("only if 1996 World Champion is in your library"), it means "this here card in the library and is about to be searched for by it's own ability", not any other 1996 World Champions that may be in play or in your library.

There's a reason that no other card does this, by the way.

(- Steve -)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

This is pre-5th even. Pre-Mirage for that matter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
my point really is that by common useage, you can't play a creature ability (or that of any card) until the card is in or coming into play...
What about cards like Glory or Genesis?

B

bryson430

....ok, ok, not technically "in play" - but still revealed so that the card text is visible to the other player before the ability takes place...anyway, wasnt trying to start an argument, just stimulate debate.

Additional Magic Trivia:

Which card has appeared in the most sets?

(This may be too easy...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that some dopey :) answer like Mountain (which I think was in Arabian Nights so it gets the nod over other basic lands).

A better question would be what non-basic land card is in the most Magic sets :)

B

bryson430

correct...and that was my next question...but the question gives away the answer to the first question...

So, non-basic land card in the most sets?

Edit for clarity:

Which card, aside from basic land, has been in the most sets?

For extra fun and games: Which cards from each colour are in the most sets? (obviously, this will include the answer to the above)

T

train

Disenchant...

Disenchant, Counterspell, Dark Ritual, Stone rain, tranquility...

E

EricBess

I agree with Disenchant. I think I'd take Giant Growth over Tranquility for green.

N

Notepad

And don't forget artifacts. Those friggen "lucky charms" have been around forever, which is soon to be eight editions TOO MANY!

I hate opening Throne of Bone and Iron Star...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but they've pretty much stayed in the base sets since Revised. Most of those others that train mentioned have appeared in numerous expansion sets as well.

B

bryson430

The actual Answer is Stone Rain: 16 Sets (including Portal 1,2, and 3)

Disenchant: 15 sets
Counterspell: 14 sets
Dark Ritual: 13 sets
Tranquility and Giant Growth are level pegging with 12 sets each.

Throne of Bone/Iron Star/Wooden Sphere/Crystal Rod/Ivory Cup/Soul Net/Rod of Ruin: 8 sets each...that's why I didn't say artifacts:)

T

train

So you were including Battle Royale and portals...

had I known...:rolleyes: ;)

Well... my answers were based on Magic sets not including those "training sets"...:cool:

N

Notepad

Originally posted by bryson430
Throne of Bone/Iron Star/Wooden Sphere/Crystal Rod/Ivory Cup/Soul Net/Rod of Ruin: 8 sets each...that's why I didn't say artifacts:)
Including Soul Net, eh? Six cards, eight sets...

That makes 48 wasted slots in sets throughout the ages. At least Disenchant, Stone Rain, and Giant Growth were good...

B

bryson430

I agree...

I think the honorary title should go to Rod Of Ruin alone, the only useful artifact to appear in 8 sets. It goes lovely in my "Tim Ping" deck...

I

Istanbul

It also occupies the 'creature removal won't help you here' slot in my MTGO Ping deck.