Most Disruptive Multiplayer Card - Nominations

C

Crackdown

Nominated in the category of "the card most likely to get you uninvited to the next multiplayer game:"

1. Thieves Auction

2. Lumbering Satyr

3. Illicit Auction

Nominations please.

U

Ura

I bring this card in for nomination:

Apocalypse

The red sorcery that removes all permenants from the game. Eeeewww :(

G

Gryphonclaw

Definately not lumbering satyr, it only punishes green.

Thieves Auction is up there, although I haven't seen this happen, (yet) I can imagine the consequences.

I have to agree, apocalypse is VERY disruptive, (I remember that game) but I don't think that it is quite as bad as the auction.

Apocalypse puts everyone, (except the guy who played it) on equal footing. Theives auction has the power to totally reorient the focus of power.

C

Crackdown

Gryph -

By itself, Lumbering Satyr doesn't disrupt that much. However, it is used in conjunction with Mystic Compass (can be used that same turn usually) or Deepwood Elder. Any land becomes a forest.

My favorite though are the two auctions with thieves auction radically altering the environment and destroying many beginning strategies.

G

galtwish

Theives Auction is probably the number one disruptive card, but Bottomless Pit and Oppression are up there as well due to their ability to get on the table under the hail of counterspells. Don't forget Contamination, too.

Erik

A

arhar

Judging by my own experience -

ONCE MORE WITH THE FEELING

hehehe

"C'mon guys, I want to play again.. WHAT TO YOU MEAN "you don't wanna play with me again"? What should I do with myself? Huh?"

T

theorgg

Most Annoying-- limited resorces.

second most annoying-- Takklemaggot, but just about everyone agrees, they like him afterwards.

Third-- Verdant Force(except YOU don't get killed!)

M

mogg bomber

What about shahrazad(sp?)? that could get really annoying in long multiplayer games, especially in multiples.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Winter Orb. Especially when you drop the Relic Barrier/Icy Manipulator to take away the disadvantage to yourself.

Can you tell I'm old school? ;)

TomB
CPA Member

A

asadoine

TomB :
sadly the orb did not get the same rewording than for example howling mine and will still be active if tapped ... I know it sucks but hey I didnt write the 6th edition rules...

berto

Killer Joe

Yeah, Winter Orb caused my friends to threaten me not to be invited next time to a friendly multi-player session.
I have this annoying, non-creature, Prison la Bastille deck I got from the Sideboard waaaaaay back in a 1998 sring issue of the mag. It has:
Winter Orb
Propaganda
Armageddon
Wrath of God
Gaea's Blessing
Gerrard's Wisdom
8 Counterspell types
I have absolutely no way of killing any of my opponents but I just lock down the game and no can ever win once they're locked down. What a bummer..........I love that deck and I have it sitting in my box (with dust and cobb webs all over it) waitng for the day I can use it again <sigh>.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
asadoine: No, Winter Orb now has errata to function the way it used to (via the Oracle).
Check here:

http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/index.html

For the latest Oracle changes to cards (Winter Orb is under 5th edition at least; that's the only place I checked although it's probably under the rest of the sets that included it. You'll understand when you get there).

I

Istanbul

Chaos Moon. :)

"One...two...three...four...five *sigh*...six...seven..."

G

galtwish

Well of Knowledge seems like the only card that would fit in the deck, due to the already top heavy casting costs. Add some Ruptures and you've got a deck!

4 Chaos Moon
4 Chaos Lord
4 Heart of Ramos
2 Tooth of Ramos
4 Fire Diamond
3 Marble Diamond
4 Gamble
1 Enlightened Tutor
3 Mana Barbs
4 Mana Flare
4 Theives Auction
4 Brand
2 Illicit Auction
2 Urza's Armor
3 CoP Red
3 Rupture
5 Plains
8 Mountians
4 Sandstone Needles
2 Undiscovered Paradise/Gemstone Mine
2 Ghitu Encampment
3 Stalking Stones/Mishra's Factory

Yeah!
Erik

G

Gumby Khan

How about Cursed Totem? I know that every time I play it in multi-player, I get smothered! My buddy plays Subversion with Syphon Souls and next thing he knows, rancored Thorn Elementals are tearing him down! Now, the best multi-player combo I saw was Teferi's Puzzle Box, with Howling Mines, and a black enchantment that deals one damage to an opponent for every card he draws!

K

King of Cheese

If you want some true multiplayer fun, tell everyone to play red decks with 4 chain lightnings and 4 furnace of raths. That game could get ugly fast.

G

galtwish

Oooh, Chaos Moon! I had forgotten about that! How about a Chaos Lord/Chaos Moon/ Theives Auction/Mana Flare/Mana Barbs/Illicit Auction/Brand/Urza's Armor/Artifact Mana/CoP Red deck? No one would want to play with that deck in the mix.

Erik