More mental diarrhea from the fount of intellect that is Istanbul

I

Istanbul

Hypervore (5)
Artifact Creature - Lhurgoyf
When Hypervore comes into play, choose instant, sorcery, land, enchantment, or creature.
X is equal to the number of cards in all graveyards of the chosen type.
Remove a card of the chosen type in your graveyard from the game: Hypervore gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
X/X
It's easy to get it to eat what you want it to eat. The hard part is making it stop.

Love/Hate (W/B)
Instant/Instant
Love - Target creature you control gets protection from a color of your choice until end of turn.
Hate - Add BB to your mana pool.

Peace/War (1W/2R)
Instant/Instant
Peace - Creatures may not attack this turn.
War - All creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.

Land/Sea (2G/1U)
Sorcery/Instant
Land - Search through your library for one basic land and put it into play tapped, then shuffle your library.
Sea - Until end of turn, basic Islands produce an additional U when tapped for mana.

Ripen/Rot (2G/2B)
Instant/Sorcery
Ripen - Put a +1/+1 token on two different target creatures.
Rot - Remove all cards in target player's graveyard from the game.

Rain/Shine (UU/2R)
Sorcery/Sorcery
Rain - Until end of turn, forests produce U instead of their normal color when tapped for mana.
Shine - Destroy target blue permanent.

(Yes, those last five are splits.)

I

Istanbul

Psychopath (B)
Creature - Horror
When Psychopath comes into play, choose target player.
That player's maximum hand size is reduced by 1.
1/1

Psychophage (1BB)
Creature - Horror
When Psychophage comes into play, choose target player.
That player's maximum hand size is reduced by 2.
2/2

Psychovore (3BB)
Creature - Horror
Flying
When Psychovore comes into play, choose target player.
At the end of that player's turn, that player discards all cards in his or her hand.
3/2

Natural Progression (1GR)
Enchantment
Spells can't be the target of spells or abilities.

Library of the Infinite (U)
Enchantment
You do not lose the game if you are unable to draw a card.

Global Immunity (1WW)
Enchantment
Permanents can't be the target of spells or abilities.

Spiritual Realm (2W)
Enchant World
When Spiritual Realm comes into play, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.
Each player then puts a 1/1 white Spirit token into play for each creature destroyed in this way.
If Spiritual Realm leaves play, bury all Spirits and return to play all creatures destroyed by Spiritual Realm.
If you control any non-Spirit creatures, you lose the game.

Istanbul's Tome (2)
Artifact
Skip your draw phase.
XX, T: Draw X cards. Play this ability only during your turn.
At the end of your turn, discard your hand.
For each card put into your graveyard in this way, you lose 1 life.
"People who take more than they need often end up with more than they can handle." - Istanbul

F

FoundationOfRancor

All your split cards look cool.

Hyperbore seems a bit powerful with the attached pump ability. If you cut it, it would balance the card out nicely.

Global Immunity:
Theres a 2G spell that just limits creatures from not being targeted by spells. THis is much better, so 2WW at least, probablly 3WW. Compare to above, and spiritual asylum.

Natural Progression:
I would say 1 more to the cc, but then it might suck royally. I think it might screw over counter decks a bit too much right now.

Psychovore:
B warrants the discard hand effect? 5B.

The other cards look fine, but I think the the 2/2 phage should cost 3B.

I

Istanbul

I realize that Hypervore seems strong, but realize that its P/T sinks whenever you use its special ability before it grows, so it's actually a growth of +1/+1 whenever you sacrifice, followed by a permanent decrease in P/T after the end of the turn. For example:

I cast Hypervore, naming Instants. There are three Instants in my opponent's graveyard and three in mine. Hypervore is a 6/6.
I attack with Hypervore and sacrifice all of the Instants in my graveyard. Hypervore is a 9/9 until end of turn.
Hypervore attacks.
At end of turn, Hypervore becomes a 3/3.

Global Immunity - You're right, should be 2WW. Spiritual Asylum is close, but a little weak for me, so this should be a little better.

Natural Progression screws over counter decks? Gee, we wouldn't want that, would we? :p

I agree about the Vore, 5B is fair...but I like the phage as it is.

F

FoundationOfRancor

How good or bad Hypervore's ability really is when everything is said and done is irrelevant; the very fact that is has the ability gives it flexibility that it's cost doesent warrant.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Compare to Masticore? Are you reading what I'm typing? NEVER compare anything to masticore when balancing a set. The only reason masticore should be calculated in for a card construction, is how to deal with it.

I

Istanbul

Compare to other 5-CC artifact creatures.

It's really not *that* powerful.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Your right.
It's not really "*that* powerful" in your original version, just unbalanced by card standards. Of course, lots of other factors contribute to the evolution of a card other than card standards. Usually the enviroment creates certain cards, sometimes earlier cards due.
(For example, in an enviroment with a million and one variations on disenchant, artifacts and enchantments become more powerful. It's a bit like the Red Queen theory, but nearly as interactive.)

If we follow card standard, and card standard only, then it's not very balanced. How good it is is a different question I think.

What are you thoughts?

[BTW, what other 5cc artifact creatures are you refering to? I looked it up, and I couldnt find anything of too much power. *shrugs* - FoR]

I

Istanbul

1) Realize that it has no evasion.
2) Realize that it has no actual powers, beyond versatility and *temporary* creature pump.

F

FoundationOfRancor

If your not going to even read what I type, theres no point in arguing.

Its fine.

I

Istanbul

*shakes head* Yet another person whose attitude is 'If you don't agree with me, you must not be listening'.

F

FoundationOfRancor

What!? You didnt even respond to my question, my post!
Shall we continue this, where you bring up an point, I counterpoint, and then you quickly switch to a new argument? Im sure we can go for some time...

1) Yes, that is a drawback of this card.
2) The other Lurgof things cost 4 mana, two of which are colored. This is 5 generic, (remember that it is almost like a charm for the lurgof's) WITH an added bonus. Basically, the card would be balanced if it was non-artifact, 5 mana, two of which were colored. The mere fact that it is an artifact brings the need to make it cost more.

I am wrong frequently, and I may be wrong here. But please prove why.

D

Darsh

*pokes head in*
IMO Hypervore is just fine the way it is, without an evasion ability or trample it's more of a "might be" threat than an actual threat, nice for messing with a person's mind though, it's always going to be blocked.
*fades out*

I

Istanbul

Darsh summed my argument up pretty well.

The other Lhurgoyfs all have some ability to make up for their lack of flexibility. This pumps temporarily (along with a drawback of permanent shrinkage), but has NO evasion whatsoever, costs 5 mana to play, and while it is flexible, it has a drawback attached to its only special ability.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok.
I dont agree, but I concede the point...not that you needed me too.