Mirrodin Mechanic: Imprint

N

Notepad

In a big multiplayer game...imprinting Clone cannot be beat. :D

That, of Verdant Force. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

This card, and any others like it, will find new a quite comfortable homes in all those recursion decks.

R

Reverend Love

Seedborn Muse
Soul Foundry Imprinted with Laquatu's Champ or Goretusk Firebeast

...lots of love to spread.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret: So does that mean you liked the tribal stuff in the Onslaught block? That was pretty creature-friendly...

T

train

I'm planning on this being in a few decks of my own...

It'll reduce the amount of creatures needed in the deck...

Better yet - running with Living Wishes - then choose the creature I want to abuse most, and go to town...

Now you can have millions of Juzams in play all at once...

Combo forthcoming:

Titania's song + intruder alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

Don't worry - I'm running Lifelaces to make this a green combo and not a blue one!...;)

R

Reverend Love

Soul Foundry Imprinted with Aphetto Alchemist.
Mana Echoes
Way to give creatures haste (Anger, Fevor)
Infinte Aphetto Alchemists and infinite Colorless Mana

Clumsy yes buy hey there has to be more where that came from.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by train
I'm planning on this being in a few decks of my own...
Now you can have millions of Juzams in play all at once...
Um, dude...you sure you wanna do that? :confused:

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
Ferret: So does that mean you liked the tribal stuff in the Onslaught block? That was pretty creature-friendly...
I did, and I didn't. Beasts, Soldiers, and even Slivers were great. Elves, Magii, and Zombie/Clerics became the decks that EVERYONE played (especially Zombie/Clerics). I think they shouldn't have gone so hog-wild with it and maybe treated the Tribal themse like they did w/ Fallen Empires and Homelands - seriously...

-Ferret

"Next, I want to see Ferret tribal cards!"

N

Notepad

How can you keep a straight face while saying the words "respect" and "Homelands" in the same sentence? Please, tell me: HOW?!?!

The creature themes were not messed up. The problem lies in that WotC forgot a lesson from very early on in the beginnings of the game's design:

When you produce a strategy, create a hoser.

They are doing this with Mirrodin's artifacts. So they are current with the lesson, but they just skipped it in favor of the skript kiddies who would love all those wizards and elves.

T

train

Um, dude...you sure you wanna do that
Yeah... that's the only way to mill all your opponent's in multiplayer with an Altar of dementia... or anger in the gy...

When you produce a strategy, create a hoser.
Actually WoTC had ways to handle these creature decks - plenty of them... but people don't run much utility anymore...

There are tons of utility spells not getting used...

Infest is probably the most cost efficient for these tribal decks... or Pyroclasm...

N

Notepad

Pyroclasm and Engineered Plague should have been IN the Onslaught block, though, as WotC usually tries to get the hosers in with the problem.

T

train

I didn't mention those engineered plague because it's not in the tribal block... I mentioned pyroclasm only as the reference to there being something else in standard that could handle the decks... though I could have mentioned the plague or vice versa... I was just trying to show cards from different colors...:)

N

Notepad

The point I was trying to make was that there are a few recent hosers out there, but they were not "In the same block" as the problems they would easily tackle.

And that is where the problem lies. Strategy in Magic is usually accompanied by counter-strategy. The whole tribal thing should have had a few hosers in it.

Maybe a kill spell like Dead Ringers, except about creature type rather than color. Or, a reprint of Pyroclasm in the set. Perhaps Plague would have been too much of a hoser, but I could see more color-hate geared towards creatures, like Major Teroh. But, it should have all been in Onslaught block...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
I did, and I didn't. Beasts, Soldiers, and even Slivers were great. Elves, Magii, and Zombie/Clerics became the decks that EVERYONE played (especially Zombie/Clerics). I think they shouldn't have gone so hog-wild with it and maybe treated the Tribal themse like they did w/ Fallen Empires and Homelands - seriously...
Yeah, but you know the tourney opinion of Fallen Empires/Homelands - they sucked. In fact, a lot of casual players think they sucked too. At least here the cards got used in tourneys...

That one guy whose name escapes me did a whole series of type of deck analysis (what's the plural?) for Onslaught block decks... for tourneys. Magii (I guess you mean Wizards) didn't come up that much; Beasts were more "playable" than them.

I liked them all but haven't really devoted enough time to making a tribal deck; like I said in the Playgroup thread, my decks are more to disrupting my group's decks and tribal decks can't really do that. I did have a Beast deck somewhere though... and would like to make a Soldier and Wizards deck. My group already has an Elf, Zombie, and Cleric deck so don't need to make those. I think the thing with those (at least the first two) is that they have Lords of some type to help boost the peon foot soldiers :)

N

Notepad

Zombies are the best because they tend to be good black creatures. Good critters in a color of destruction, so you whomp and stomp like crazy. The tribal-ness is supported by them being real good suicide machines. The clerics are just there for the ride, as they help here and there. :D

I've never seen an elf deck that relies on its lord, except in the mirror matches. They rely on their psychotic mana pumping to do power plays or combos.

Goblins are the only ones who really rely on their lords. Just your typical swarm deck.

Beasts are fat, but not that super.

Wizards...suck, nearly as much as birds (who used to be pretty dang good).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Clerics are actually pretty good; over the years and expansions, clerics were produced here and there so if you add them to the ones in the Onslaught block, you can get a good mix. Zombies just got explosive growth in Onslaught; they were added also in ones and twos but not nearly as much as clerics before. Only in Ice Age can I remember a bunch coming out.

You haven't played with my group's guy's Elf deck :) He uses his elves as a swarm deck too (except a big swarm deck with that elf who pumps others up and gives trample).

How can birds go downhill if they were good once? :confused: ;)

T

train

How can birds go downhill if they were good once?
For simpleness sake - we'll say birds don't fly... ;)

You see spidey... they make it to the top of the hill, and if they want to go anywhere, they have to go down...

IMO - Serious beats come from the train tribal decks!...

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
How can birds go downhill if they were good once? :confused: ;)
They used to be a good tribe, then along came the new tribes, and stomped them into the ground. Its not technically that they suddenly sucked, its that they can't face the new enemies anymore.

MTGO is clear proof. Birds used to be played all the time. Now its a chuckle deck, like Bears or Wizards or even *gasp* Slivers. LOL

T

train

There were quite a few bears to be played... but I can't say I ever did them...

Grizzly, polar, balduvian, spectral, etc... then there's stuff like primal frenzy with bear pictures on them...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah, there's Bear cards but I didn't think they could be made into a tribal deck.... unless you're talking about the Odyssey block cards like Bearscape or something, which I'm not too familiar with...