Mirrodin Card Preview

T

train

That's not too impressive...

It is dangerous with the new moxen, and elves though...

Coat of Arms anyone...

N

Nightstalkers

The image evoked by the card is wonderful (and I'm writing this without having seen the artwork). It recalls something not unlike what Bilbo and his dwarf companions must have seen in Mirkwood during The Hobbit, before they gave up on campfires.
Oh right, everyones a Lord of the Rings fan...

T

train

Cheaper than wake with the same effect is outright dangerous...

Saga may take second fiddle... nevermind... Saga brought me Sneak Attack!...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Originally posted by Spiderman
The Newest Flare

I could see trying this in some of my decks...
Sounds like a marquee card, as does Soul Foundry.

(Crankin' out my nightscape familiars, cheapin' out my Read the Runes, goin' off with Tog)

T

train

It's Blue!...

I thought they were getting rid of Blue...;)

I

Istanbul

The Lens is...*sigh* So much for Wake leaving Constructed. And unless white gets some decent artifact hate, so much for my WW deck having the metaphorical snowball's chance.

Oh, but the Lens doesn't have that Glorious Anthem thing going on. :rolleyes:

One of the intrinsic problems behind artifacts is that they blur what colors can do - not every color SHOULD have access to Mana Flare. Frankly, the idea of what this can do in your average red burn deck scares the hell out of me. And I KNOW some sick sonofawhatever will take it upon himself to cycle Decree of Annihilation, play something ugly, and hard-cast Decree of Silence all on the same turn.

Oh, I nearly forgot...

Lens + Rewind = Here we go again...

R

rkoelsch

Isty my guess is that every color will get some way of dealing with artifacts.

R

Reverend Love

I'll match WoTC's One Dozen Eyes with my Baker's Dozen Yawns.

T

train

The flare does keep "wake" in the format - but then wake wasn't played for it's P/T bonus capabilities... it was for the outright mana to do whatever you want anytime you want...

as for each color dealing with artifacts - I think white will be left out here, it will have to depend on artifacts that rid artifacts...

black would be able to sac something or pay life to destroy one...
blue - bounce/counter
green - destroy
red - destroy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you think white will be left out, because of the color wheel?

I think it'll get something to the equivalent of that 1cc spell that just gets rid of enchantments only it'll affect artifacts. The other side of Disenchant, if you will.

T

train

Mainly the color wheel... but also the statement made by WoTC on why Naturalize replaced disenchant...

I can see another divine offering before a 1cc spell removing an artifact... If white had something it would be expensive. They showed that with White's wish - Golden Wish - and it was so expensive it just didn't make the cut for serious decks...

Having to deal with these things reminds me of the Mirage counterspells... Withering Boon etc... Each color may have something -but Red didn't there - simply because red didn't counter(minus the blasts, and pain spells)...

The reason I see black doing something is because it is the color for "decay, rot"... White is more life, and enchantment oriented... and if white's into enchantments - all artifacts are - are permanently enchanted permanents...

I can see this in a multicolor card for white though... but it then relies on the other color for help...

those are my outlooks, here's the summary:

If white gets something - it will be expensive. WoTC doesn't want to make something people won't play... though they seem to be good at it... Their best defense against that is limited...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Naturalize went to green just for the cheap utility of the destruction of both types, but white would still retain a narrow destruction of each, no "modal" like I said. That or they could being Divine Offering back.

Maybe they'll bring Cursed Artifact back for black :p

E

EricBess

I agree that White probably will get the short end of the stick on artifact removal. Though I doubt black will see much, either. I do think, however, that it is possible white will get something to shut down artifacts. Remember, white is the color of "changing the rules" as it where, so I could see a "Presence of the Master" for artifacts being included.

T

train

ahh... the voice of reason...

no wait - that was EricBess!...:p

hope the settling in is going good for your EB!...

and your point about the turning off/shutting down effect is probably closer than mine...

Spidey mentioned cursed artifact for black - that I can see as a good possibility...

N

Nightstalkers

um... is anyone seeing the comeback of an Urza type storyline here? I mean, the wizard to give ya a bonus for playing ARTIFACTS, as well as this new little lens is just too much.

Anyone remember Urza's little lens?