Hand: 7
In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mt

(U) Suntail Hawk (1/1, flying)
(T) Wormfang Crab (3/6, ~ is unblockable, When ~ CIP, BigBlue chooses a permanent I control other than ~ and removes it from the game. When ~ leaves play, return the removed card to play under its owner's control)
(U) Cabal Trainee (1/1, Sac ~: Target creature gets -2/-0 ueot)
(U) Shieldmage Advocate (1/3; T: Return target card in Spidey's GY to his hand. Prevent all damage to target creature or player from a source of your choice. )
(U) Benevolent Bodyguard (1/1; Sac ~: Target creature gains protection from a color of your choice until eot)
(U) Phantom Centaur (5/3 due to ctrs, pro-Black, ~ CIP with 3 +1/+1 ctrs on it. If dmg would be dealt to ~, prevent that dmg. Remove a +1/+1 ctr from ~.)

Graveyard:
RFG: Nantucko Monastery, Krosan Wayfarer

(Crabbed) Nantucko Monastery (T: Add 1 to my mana pool. Threshold - GW: ~ becomes a 4/4 green and white Insect Monk creature w/first strike ueot. It's still a land)
---------------------------------------------
BigBlue: 7
Hand: 8
In Play:

(TT) Plains
(T) Mountain
(T) Island
(T) Swamp
(T) Forest

(U) Shieldmage Advocate (1/3; T: Return target card in Spidey's GY to his hand. Prevent all damage to target creature or player from a source of your choice. )
(U) Wormfang Drake (3/4; Flying; When ~ cip, I remove a creature I control from the game. When ~ leaves play, I return that creature to play under it's owner's control.)
(S) Phantom Tiger (3/2 due to ctrs, ~ CIP with 2 +1/+1 ctrs on it. If dmg would be dealt to ~, prevent that dmg. Remove a +1/+1 ctr from ~.) 2 +1/+1 counters
(S) Cephalid Inkshrouder (2/1; Discard a card: ~ is unblockable and gains shroud until eot)

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia
RFG: Benevolent Bodyguard

(Draked) Benevolent Bodyguard (1/1; Sac ~: Target creature gains protection from a color of your choice until eot)

B

BigBlue

Activate the Advocate to prevent the dmg, responses?

(* There are no "rulings" on this card on Gatherer... but it doesn't state a card must by in the GY to activate it... but maybe I'm missing something. I see it as simply only having one effect instead of 2. *)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it asks for a target card in the graveyard, so there has to be a legal target, i.e. card for you to use it, I believe...

B

BigBlue

I don't think I can pull this out, but I will try...

Untap, Upkeep

Play Swamp
Play Giant Warthog
Discard BookBurning to make Inkshrouder unblockable and swing for 2
Done

Spidey: 18 16?
In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U) Swamp
(U) Mt

(T) Wormfang Crab (3/6, ~ is unblockable, When ~ CIP, BigBlue chooses a permanent I control other than ~ and removes it from the game. When ~ leaves play, return the removed card to play under its owner's control)
(U) Benevolent Bodyguard (1/1; Sac ~: Target creature gains protection from a color of your choice until eot)
(U) Phantom Centaur (5/3 due to ctrs, pro-Black, ~ CIP with 3 +1/+1 ctrs on it. If dmg would be dealt to ~, prevent that dmg. Remove a +1/+1 ctr from ~.)

Graveyard:

(Crabbed) Nantucko Monastery (T: Add 1 to my mana pool. Threshold - GW: ~ becomes a 4/4 green and white Insect Monk creature w/first strike ueot. It's still a land)
BigBlue: 7
Hand: 8
In Play:

(TT) Plains
(U) Mountain
(T) Island
(TT) Swamp
(T) Forest

(U) Wormfang Drake (3/4; Flying; When ~ cip, I remove a creature I control from the game. When ~ leaves play, I return that creature to play under it's owner's control.)
(U) Phantom Tiger (3/2 due to ctrs, ~ CIP with 2 +1/+1 ctrs on it. If dmg would be dealt to ~, prevent that dmg. Remove a +1/+1 ctr from ~.) 2 +1/+1 counters
(T) Cephalid Inkshrouder (2/1; Discard a card: ~ is unblockable and gains shroud until eot)
(S) Giant Warthog (5/5; Trample)

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia, Book Burning

(Draked) Benevolent Bodyguard (1/1; Sac ~: Target creature gains protection from a color of your choice until eot)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep

Attack with the Crab for 3
Mt

Done

Spidey: 16
In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U) Swamp
(U,U) Mt x2

Graveyard:

BigBlue: 4
Hand: 6
In Play:

(TT) Plains
(U) Mountain
(T) Island
(TT) Swamp
(T) Forest

(U) Phantom Tiger (3/2 due to ctrs, ~ CIP with 2 +1/+1 ctrs on it. If dmg would be dealt to ~, prevent that dmg. Remove a +1/+1 ctr from ~.) 2 +1/+1 counters
(T) Cephalid Inkshrouder (2/1; Discard a card: ~ is unblockable and gains shroud until eot)
(S) Giant Warthog (5/5; Trample)

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia, Book Burning

B

BigBlue

Untap, Upkeep

Play Island
Discard Ray of Revelation to make Inkshroud unblockable, swing for 2

In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U) Swamp
(U,U) Mt x2

Graveyard:

Hand: 5
In Play:

(UU) Plains
(U) Mountain
(UU) Island
(UU) Swamp
(U) Forest

(U) Giant Warthog (5/5; Trample)

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia, Book Burning, Ray of Revelation (FB: G)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep

Attack with the Crab for 3
Swamp

Done

In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U,U) Swamp x2
(U,U) Mt x2

Graveyard:

BigBlue: 1
Hand: 5
In Play:

(UU) Plains
(U) Mountain
(UU) Island
(UU) Swamp
(U) Forest

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia, Book Burning, Ray of Revelation (FB: G)

B

BigBlue

I wasn't really done... but ok...

In response to your attack I'll play Ember Shot targetting your advocate. Responses?

Spidey: 14
In Play:

(U,U) Plains x2
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Island
(U,U) Swamp x2
(U,U) Mt x2

(U) Shieldmage Advocate (1/3; T: Return target card in Spidey's GY to his hand. Prevent all damage to target creature or player from a source of your choice. ) Dead?

Graveyard:

Hand: 4
In Play:

(TT) Plains
(T) Mountain
(TT) Island
(TT) Swamp
(U) Forest

Graveyard: Dwarven Scorcher, Web of Inertia, Book Burning, Ray of Revelation (FB: G), Ember Shot

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoops, we can back up to your turn if you want.

No response to Ember Shot, nor the use of your Advocate if that's what you're doing during my turn :) Still done after my attack.

B

BigBlue

I will prevent with the Advocate - will you play yours again?

B

BigBlue

For the win... ? (or the loss)

Untap, Upkeep

Play Island
Discard Filth to Inkshrouder
Swampwalk w/ everything for 14.

B

BigBlue

Damage on Stack?
Damage resolves?

I've nothing else during combat.

After combat play Goretusk Firebeast - cip deals 4 to you.

Game now? I don't have anything else useful so if you do, you win.

Left in hand is Toxic Stench - useless w/ Bodyguard
And Wormfang Beheamoth...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you got me. Good game! I'm not sure whether I should have applied more pressure but...

Rest of my hand:

Morality Shift
Canopy Claws
Guided Strike - both would have been good IF there wasn't any landwalk...
Lava Dart - was hoping you'd get down in cards so I could use it on your Ink guy
Nantucko Tracer - get back a card with the Strike
Wormfang Drake - supposed to be my hole card if you got rid of the Crab

Onto Onslaught!

B

BigBlue

I was seriously considering concession once you played your advocate... your unblockable was impossible... I couldn't get to threshhold to use the toxic stench when you played your bodyguard... And once you stopped putting your own stuff in your graveyard my advocate was useless.

I think you'd have got me if you pressed harder...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you never know until the game is over. I was just content with a steady 3 dmg and keeping enough blockers out, but I couldn't really do anything about the landwalk.

B

BigBlue

At first I wasn't thinking w/ Filth... I was hung up on your ability to bounce it back w/ Advocate - and in a sort of blonde moment was forgetting I could simply discard him again... But also, I knew I had to get through for just about every point of damage or I couldn't do enough and would die...

It was a very good, very close match.