Mindmaster Chaos Alliances: Spidey vs Limited vs Mooseman

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If I was smart, I would have Booned the Heretic and I think I meant to once I saw him come out. But I forgot over the weekend and the length of turns :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Untap, upkeep
Attack spidey with Gorilla
Blocks?

Spidey: 17
Hand: 4
In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(T) Swamp
(T,U,U,U) Snow-covered Swamp x4
(T) Plains
(U) Mt

Viscerid Armor (Enchanted creature get +1/+1. 1U return ~ to its owners hand)
Bestial Fury (Whenever enchanted creature becomes blocked, it gains +4/+0 and trample ueot)

Scarab of the Unseen (T, sac ~: Return all Auras attached to target permanent you own to their owners hand. Draw a card at the beginning of next turn's upkeep)

(U) Viscerid Drone (1/2, T, sac a creature and a Swamp: Bury target nonartifact creature. T, sac a creature and a snow Swamp: Bury target creature)
(U) Soldevi Steam Beast (4/2, whenever ~ becomes tapped, target opponent gains 2 life. 2: regenerate)
(T) Storm Elemental (4/5, flying, 2 library manipulation abilities that don't matter right now since I have no library) * Furied * *Armored*

Graveyard: Stench of Decay, Phyrexian Boon
RFG:

Limited: 8
Hand: 5
In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(T) Island
(TT) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(U) Forest
(U) Kjeldoran Outpost [1W,T: Get a 1/1 White Soldier token]

Noble Steeds (1W: Target creature gains first strike ueot)
Krovikan Plague (Enchanted non-Wall creature you control has "T: Put a -0/-1 counter on this creature, and Krovikan Plague deals 1 damage to target creature or player") *on the Fiend*

(U) Phantasmal Fiend (1/5) [B:+1/-1 ueot. 1U: Switch P/T ueot] *Plagued*
(U) Soldevi Heretic (2/2) [W,T: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn. Target opponent may draw a card.]

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

Graveyard: Plains, Whip Vine, Gift of the Woods
RFG:

Mooseman: 20
In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest
(UUUUUU) Snow-covered Forest

(U) Sol Grail (T:U)
(U) Astrolabe (1, tap: Sacrifice Astrolabe to add two mana of any one color to your mana pool. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.)

Noble Steeds (1w: Target creature gains first strike ueot)

(U) Phyrexian War Beast (3/4, If Phyrexian War Beast leaves play, sacrifice a land, and Phyrexian War Beast deals 1 damage to you.)
(U) Elvish Spirit Guide (2/2)
(T) Gorilla Berserkers (2/3, Trample, rampage: 2 Cannot be blocked by fewer than three creatures.)

Graveyard: Insidious Bookworms, Agent of Strongald
RFG:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Done

Spidey: 15
In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(T) Swamp
(T) Plains
(U) Mt

Bestial Fury (Whenever enchanted creature becomes blocked, it gains +4/+0 and trample ueot)

Scarab of the Unseen (T, sac ~: Return all Auras attached to target permanent you own to their owners hand. Draw a card at the beginning of next turn's upkeep)

(U) Viscerid Drone (1/2, T, sac a creature and a Swamp: Bury target nonartifact creature. T, sac a creature and a snow Swamp: Bury target creature)
(U) Soldevi Steam Beast (4/2, whenever ~ becomes tapped, target opponent gains 2 life. 2: regenerate)
(T) Storm Elemental (4/5, flying, 2 library manipulation abilities that don't matter right now since I have no library) * Furied * *Armored*

RFG:

In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(T) Island
(TT) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(U) Forest

Krovikan Plague (Enchanted non-Wall creature you control has "T: Put a -0/-1 counter on this creature, and Krovikan Plague deals 1 damage to target creature or player") *on the Fiend*

(U) Soldevi Heretic (2/2) [W,T: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn. Target opponent may draw a card.]

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

(U) Astrolabe (1, tap: Sacrifice Astrolabe to add two mana of any one color to your mana pool. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.)

(U) Phyrexian War Beast (3/4, If Phyrexian War Beast leaves play, sacrifice a land, and Phyrexian War Beast deals 1 damage to you.)
(T) Gorilla Berserkers (2/3, Trample, rampage: 2 Cannot be blocked by fewer than three creatures.)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, attack Limited with the Elemental, responses/blocks?

In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(U) Swamp
(U,U,U,U) Snow-covered Swamp x4
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

RFG:

In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(T) Island
(TT) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(U) Forest

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

RFG:

L

Limited

Tap out for Pyrokinesis on it. If that resolves, I'll tap the Fiend to shoot the Elemental an additional damage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Pyrokinesis resolves. In response to the Fiend, I'll sac the Scarab to return the Elemental's Auras to my hand. After that resolves, but with the Fiend's Ping on the stack, I'll Tap the Drone, sac the Elemental and a Snow-Covered Swamp to destroy the Fiend. Resolves? If so, then the Fiend's Ping is moot :)

L

Limited

I'm afraid you've made a mistake!

Pyrokinesis resolves, dealing four damage to the Elemental. Then you use the Scarab to return all the enchantments on the elemental to your hand. When that resolves, statebased effects are checked, and the Elemental has taken lethal damage.
It is put into the graveyard.

Do you have another creature you want to sack to the Drone?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aw nuts. No, no other creature.

Combat ends.

I'll play the Viscerid Armor on the Steam Beast.

Done.

Let's see if I get this right

In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

(U) Soldevi Steam Beast (5/3 from Armor, whenever ~ becomes tapped, target opponent gains 2 life. 2: regenerate) * Armored *

Graveyard: Stench of Decay, Phyrexian Boon, Scarab of the Unseen, Storm Elemental
RFG:

In Play:

(TT) 2x Plains
(T) Island
(TT) 2x Swamp
(TT) 2x Mountain
(T) Forest
(T) Kjeldoran Outpost [1W,T: Get a 1/1 White Soldier token]

(T) Phantasmal Fiend (1/4 from ctr) [B:+1/-1 ueot. 1U: Switch P/T ueot] *Plagued* * +0/-1 ctr *

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

Graveyard: Plains, Whip Vine, Gift of the Woods, Pyrokinesis
RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

RFG:

L

Limited

The Krovikan Plague ability is countered upon resolution, because the target is dead. So, no counter for me :D

Untap, Upkeep

Forest

Done.

In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

(U) Soldevi Steam Beast (5/3 from Armor, whenever ~ becomes tapped, target opponent gains 2 life. 2: regenerate) * Armored *

Graveyard: Stench of Decay, Phyrexian Boon, Scarab of the Unseen, Storm Elemental
RFG:

Hand: 3
In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(U) Island
(UU) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(UU) 2x Forest

(T) Phantasmal Fiend (1/5) [B:+1/-1 ueot. 1U: Switch P/T ueot] *Plagued*

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

RFG:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Untap, Upkeep
Attack Spidey with Gorilla
Done (unless either of you have something special to do)

Spidey: 15 (13?)
In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

RFG:

In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(U) Island
(UU) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(UU) 2x Forest

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
About the Plague, that's not how I read it. It seems to be in two parts: one is the counter and one is the Ping ability. I think the counter still happens even if the Ping ability fails. Like that Blue counter that tries to counter that red uncounterable spell, the second part of the blue counter (drawing a card?) still happens. Sorry I can't remember the names.

Maybe we should ask in the Rules forum...

L

Limited

If you try to Burnout a blue spell that is uncounterable, Burnout resolves as normal with the countering part just not being applied. You still draw a card because doesn't require the spell to be counterable; it just requires the spell to be there.

In this case, its more like playing a Drain Life for a lot on an opponent's creature. If the opponent somehow sacrifices the creature in response, the Drain Life would not be able to resolve (no legal targets left) and would be countered upon resolving rather than resolve. You don't get the life.

The way this ability is worded, putting a -0/-1 counter on the enchanted creature is part of resolvement. Because all targets of the ability are gone, the ability is countered.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have to agree with limited on this.
The ability only has one target and that target is no longer in play.

413.2a If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that’s removed from play, or from the zone designated by the spell or ability, is illegal. A target may also become illegal if its characteristics changed since the spell or ability was played or if an effect changed the text of the spell. The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal. If the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally, affecting only the targets that are still legal. If a target is illegal, the spell or ability can’t perform any actions on it or make the target perform any actions. If the spell or ability needs to know information about one or more targets that are now illegal, it will use the illegal targets’ current or last known information.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But it seems to me that putting a counter on the enchanted permanent IS a target, it's implicit in the definition of "this creature". The resolution of the Plague's Tap ability is in two parts, the counter and the Ping. Placing the counter is not dependent on whether the Ping resolves or not.

I'm gonna ask in the Rules forum if it hasn't been done already :)

L

Limited

The Magic rules are very clear on this: for an effect or spell to target, it uses the word 'target'. The only exception does concern aura's, but only when playing them.

Da Rules! said:
415. Targeted Spells and Abilities

415.1. An instant or sorcery spell is targeted if the text that will be followed when it resolves uses the phrase "target [something]," where the "something" is a phrase that describes an object, player, or zone. (If an activated or triggered ability of an instant or sorcery uses the word target, that ability is targeted, but the spell is not.)
Example: A sorcery card has the ability "When you cycle this card, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn." This triggered ability is targeted, but that doesn't make the card it's on targeted.

415.2. An activated or triggered ability is targeted if it uses the phrase "target [something]," where the "something" is a phrase that describes an object, player, or zone.

415.3. Aura spells are always targeted. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 502.45, "Enchant"). An Aura permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can be targeted.
Neither Equipment spells nor Equipment permanents target anything. The equip ability is targeted; see rule 502.33, "Equip." An activated or triggered ability of an Equipment permanent can be targeted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In response to Mooseman's attack, I will return the Armor to my hand and then tap the Drone and sac a Snow Swamp and the Beast to kill the Gorilla.

Untap, upkeep, Varchild's Crusader, Armor the Crusader, Snow Swamp, Done.

In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(T) Swamp
(T,T,T,U) Snow-covered Swamp x4
(U) Plains
(T) Mt

(S) Varchild's Crusader (4/3 from Armor, 0: ~ can't be blocked this turn except by Walls. Sac ~ at eot) * Armored *

Graveyard: Stench of Decay, Phyrexian Boon, Scarab of the Unseen, Storm Elemental, Soldevi Steam Beast, Snow-covered Swamp
RFG:

In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(U) Island
(UU) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(UU) 2x Forest

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

Graveyard: Insidious Bookworms, Agent of Strongald, Gorilla Beserkers
RFG:

L

Limited

EOT, I'll make another Soldier token.

Untap, upkeep

Done.

In Play:

(T,U) Island x2
(T) Swamp
(T,T,T,U) Snow-covered Swamp x4
(U) Plains
(T) Mt

(S) Varchild's Crusader (4/3 from Armor, 0: ~ can't be blocked this turn except by Walls. Sac ~ at eot) * Armored *

Graveyard: Stench of Decay, Phyrexian Boon, Scarab of the Unseen, Storm Elemental, Soldevi Steam Beast, Snow-covered Swamp
RFG:

In Play:

(UU) 2x Plains
(U) Island
(UU) 2x Swamp
(UU) 2x Mountain
(UU) 2x Forest

(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)
(U) Soldier Token (1/1)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Plains
(U) Mountain
(U) Forest

Graveyard: Insidious Bookworms, Agent of Strongald, Gorilla Beserkers
RFG: