Message Board Role Playing Game

R

Rando

I will be starting a message board role playing game sometime in the next week or two. I have permision to post it on the General Gaming forum, so that is where it will be.
I will be the GM.
I need some people to play. I had this set up over on MTGnews.com originally, but I like the format over here a lot more, for those of you that recall it over there.

The Rules:
...are few. No stats for characters, no combat rules, no skill resolution. This may seem unsound, but I rely on the players to
A: not do anything "super powerful"
B: not do anything beyond the possible for your character.
C: not do anything that is just plain stupid.

You will be required to post to the story at least once per day, Monday through Friday, although posting more is encouraged.
I would also like you to disable your Sig. in-game to make it all easier to follow and to save resources on this web-site.

I have yet to decide what the game is going to be about, so I'll take sugestions for setting and plot ideas. It DOES NOT have to be Magic bassed. In fact, I would prefer to avoid Magic bassed stuff and instead rely on our own imaginations and creativity in making these character's and the story that comes out.

If you are interested in playing, please sign up below. I can only take so many players, so I'm sorry, but some people may have to be bumped if it get's too crowded and too many people respond.

I am online Mon. through Fri. 9am to 5pm EST if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance.
jp

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing all that stuff in the Homemade Cards forum, I was wondering if something like that was coming here.

I'm interested, but a few questions:

What do you mean by "like the format over here than there"?

What do you mean "post to the story"? When I see RPG I think "players post their actions and the GM posts the results" type thing. Is this the same thing?

Is the requirement of posting every weekday a hard and fast rule? Because I can tell you right now that I'll be unable to post every other Friday (including this Friday) and federal holidays. Others might come up <shrug> if I ever feel like taking a day off :)

I have no preference to setting or plot; I can adapt to whichever.

Thanks, mon.

R

Rando

-What do you mean by "like the format over here than there"?-
I was saying that I think the message boards over here run a lot more smoothly then the boards at MTGnews.com

-What do you mean "post to the story"? When I see RPG I think "players post their actions and the GM posts the results" type thing. Is this the same thing? -
That is what I mean. You post your actions (or reactions) and I post what happens next.

-Is the requirement of posting every weekday a hard and fast rule?-
I just don't want anyone that is going to post once, then we never hear from them again, which has happened. If a player can't make it one day every once in a while, that's OK.

Killer Joe

...can I still play?
Also, I nevered played D & D, is that a problem?
Do I have to be a Humanesque type character or can I be a Spirit or elemental or something like that?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be in and either give you some standard behavior scheme to follow when I don't post and something happens or hopefully you'll have my character act "in character" :D

R

Rando

What you play will only depend on what style of game we play. For exapmple, on sugestion to me was a pirate adventure, in which case everyone would be a pirate, or something that would go along with pirates.

And no experience = no problem, since there are no real rules you have to learn. It's all just a game of make-belive, so all you would have to do is make up what your character is doing as you go, bassed on what happened in the other posts. It's really easy to get the hang of.

R

Rando

And by the way, if you want to know more, and are looking for a different oppinion from my own, some CPA'ers that played in my old game are:
Sageridder
DUke
Django (although I have not seen him around for a while)
so you could talk to them.

H

Hetemti

Sage, are you quoting Army of Darkness?
______

Just to day I saw an actual honest-to-god educational program about stars, black holes, and space anomolies, that used the opening clip from Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, where Ash gets sucked out of the cabin, chainsaw and all...

...to say the least it seemed a bit out of place. :)

S

sageridder

it was a generic pledge like from many oaths of old.If they used army of darkness as an intro,I'm surprised they didn't incorperate red dwarf.J/K

K

krichaiushii

Or it could be kind of Magic based. But instead of all the players being mighty planeswalkers and turning this game into something out of the Battle Arena forum, we all play NON-legendary creatures that are routinely summoned into battle by the same mage -- Rando.

Backrounds might consist of how we came to be cursed into being Rando's pawns, and maybe a plan to escape his grasp.

This way we have a somewhat common ground, as unlikely as it is. It might also provide a more or less familiar background to run the game in...

Or not.

J

JKA2545

Sure, i'd like to play, although i'm not online as much as i'd like i'm sure I could fit in at least 1 post per day

W

Whimsical

An on-line RPG, huh? I'll try to join, mister Freaky Bear sir! If you'll have moi that is... ;)

Melkor

I really enjoyed playing the first one and enjoyed reading the second one. I'd certainly want to play again. You can count me in. Personally I prefer an environment where swords are still feasible weapons but I'm open to anything.

A

arhar

I would play, as I love RPG's, but my schedule doesn't allow it...:( Posting the story every week would be hard to accomplish for me, so every day ....:)

S

sageridder

Personally i missed out on the first one,and loved playing the second.But it would be a tough call as to which i enjoyed more,whatching this ever unfolding story.Or adding to it.Reading was like one of those old cliffhanger movies,you knew what happened but had to wait to see what happened next.It became kind of addicting to me personally.

B

Bob

I would like to participate
And do you mean by Non-magic as normal or SciFi?

D

DÛke

...I can't play Rebrouge until summer.
That really sucks.

Dang it, and Spiderman is playing!
I always wanted to see what he'd do in tight situations:).