Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm Christian but can see what people are talking about. I think "Merry Christmas" is appropriate maybe Christmas Eve and the church season of Christmas. Before that, it's basically Advent. Hannukah and Kwanzaa are also appropriate when they start. But if you don't know when they are, the safest is probably Happy Holidays because they are all holidays arriving at approximately the same time as each other.

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I know that this may not be politically correct, but I ALWAYS say Merry Christmas. Yes, I am christian, however, that is not why I say what I say. I am pretty tired of all the whining and complaining done by minority groups who just want to have something to complain about and use thier "religeous freedom rights" to hide behind. I have met many non-believers, and they still celebrate christmas. Besides, if you want to give a total seperation between church and state, or even equal rights to all religions, then there would be some people that would not get:

1. The day of Christmas off or even better...paid off!

2. A Christmas bonus

3. The Christmas party held by 90% of the companies in business today.

4. The presents from thier friends and families (Beleivers and non believers alike)

So, just tell these whining yuppie-scum to stop complaining and ruining the christmas holliday for all of us and the children in the world that believe in a big fat guy that eats cookies and distributes his vigilante justice by rewarding the good and punishing the bad!

And that is my rant....Merry Christmas everyone!

H

HOUTS

I am NOT religious, but was at one time a Christian.

Sorry folks, but if you're saying "Happy Holidys" then you need to check your PC card.

Honestly, what is the big deal? Personally I believe this is just a spin by the liberals, and minor groups, to create some chaos because their lives are lacking.

This is America. We are Americans. More than half of our population are Christian, born-again (and, again), or Catholic; all the same religious beliefs just divided for no common reason. We have CHRISTMAS because we celebrate the supposed birth of chirst, or the rebirth of jesus. Either one are fine but both are historically incorrect, but that is another story.

Considering I am NOT religious, even I don't have any beef with saying "Merry Christmas" to a fellow friend or stranger, or calling a "Christmas Tree" as it is.
These are names (labels) given to categorize that day/season/object.

I've NEVER had any trouble with my fellow jewish friends when I remark "Merry Christmas" to them. They don't take offense. They realize it is referring to 'Christmas' (holiday) season/day. And, after all, Jews, Muslims, and Catholics all believe in the same thing: God. No matter which God.

-HOUTS

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"Merry F'ing Christmas" From the ECW........
Look, if someone says to me "Happy Haunaka", I say "Thanks, and happy Haunaka to you too." Same with Christmas......
What is the big deal? Isn't this the time of year to rejoice and reflect upon the past year and good will to others?

H

HOUTS

"Are you someone who'll go out of your way to CORRECT someone wishing you a "Happy Holiday"

Not really. Maybe if my friend says it too much, sure. Otherwise that is just too anal.

If I knew it was a liberal piece of ****-then-you bet!

-HOUTS

D

DarthFerret

Amazingly enough, (I will not admit later to saying this) I agree with HOUTS. But I can guess that you can gather that from my previous posting.

So, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Be Well!

H

HOUTS

Amazingly enough, (I will not admit later to saying this) I agree with HOUTS
LOL!

Yeah, as if agreeing with "HOUTS" is a shocking thing. Just because I'm considered the 'bad guy' on CPA, doesn't mean what I say has no validation.
But, I love it!
Silly kids.

-HOUTS

turgy22

Nothing Special
Despite being a Catholic, I don't really say Merry Christmas. I don't say it because I'm trying to avoid offending anyone, but because I just think it sounds awkward. Why would I go up to some stranger and wish them a merry Christmas? I'll say it to my friends at church and at family gatherings because it seems appropriate then, but otherwise I feel it's just sort of a stupid greeting / salutation.

The only place where I think people hear it a lot is in retail stores. Most store owners probably tell their employees to say Happy Holidays so as to avoid offending any customers. I'm certainly not offended if a salesclerk tells me Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. What do I care? But I can imagine it must be a lot harder for a non-Christian living in this predominantly Christian country to endure a barrage of Merry Christmases especially with the way the holiday is so over-comercialized these days.

So I guess my only problem is with the people that insist that Merry Christmas is the only correct holiday greeting. I'm not a fan of people who impose thier beliefs on others. If I were living in Isreal and everyone kept saying, "Happy Hannakah," I probably wouldn't care. But I have a feeling that the crazies who are insisting on saying "Merry Christmas" would have a problem and would probably wish that everyone was just wishing them a happy holiday instead.

M

Mikeymike

I'll only say "Merry Christmas" if I know someone actually celebrates Christmas. Otherwise I'll say "Happy Holidays". I wish I didn't have to, but I have determined from experience that it simply isn't worth someone getting offended and making a big stink of me trying to be polite by wishing them well.

Yes I think it's stupid, but I also think that it isn't in the spirit of the gesture to create a semantic debate about it.

H

HOUTS

"I'm trying to avoid offending anyone, but because I just think it sounds awkward."
You're a catholic that believes saying "Merry Christmas" in America, on Christmas season, celebrating a glorious rebirth, is wrong? That is the only thing that sounds insane. And it took a NON-religious person to point it out. Whom would you offend-the greater majority of religious (78%*), or God-fearing, American population? Or, the other half of non-religious belief ,but with some rationale backbone, to understand "Christmas" is a season, a label, they all celebrate?
When you see a "Christmas" tree, you don't point to your friend and say "Hey, look at the beautiful Virginia white pine tree!"
Of course not!
You say "Hey look at that beautiful Christmas tree."
Because the tree, during the season, has been labeled, named, as a Christmas tree. You don't have to fear you will impose your religious beliefs because of a phrase, or word, used.

And, why is it stupid to say "Merry Christmas?" I say it at work, at home, with friend, or to strangers. I've YET to receive a strange response or queer look. Sorry if you feel "uncomfortable", but that is something you should work on on your own. Alone. The rest of society has no trouble.

Should we all shunt from "Happy Valentine's Day" in fear that we might offend those single people, or those whom just lost their lovers; if not those whom feel trademarked 'holiday' days by major corporations are repugnant, and will gasp at your uttering of this line?

"If I were living in Isreal and everyone kept saying, "Happy Hannakah," I probably wouldn't care."
Two things: In Isreal, there are mixed religions, so you aren't too far off base. And even then, they take their religions like those who take coffee black: very seriously-with no mixtures. And, even they understand about Christ, the bible, and its meaning better than you and I. Because they take it seriously. Not offensively.
http://www.israelnewsagency.com/israelchristmasbethlehemtourism481224.html

But, we aren't in Israel, we are in America where the majority celebrate the birth of Christ. In reality, we are celebrating gift-exchanging day. That is all.
You are in EVERY right, ethically and PC, to say "Merry Christmas".

I just wanted to clear up your confusion and set you onto the path of 'righteousness'. You now get +8/+8 in defending yourself. Good luck.

-HOUTS

*This is a cummulative stat used over 5 years.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeesh. Can you please read and quote entire sentences in the future?

I do NOT think saying Merry Christmas is wrong and I'm NOT trying to avoid offending anyone. But when I hear myself say it as a general greeting, I think it sounds awkward. When I greet my coworkers at the beginning of the day in the month of December, I don't say, "Merry Christmas." I say, "hello." Unless I'm at a decidedly Christmas function, I guess I'm just not in the Christmas mood. I spent some time selling Christmas trees this winter. Of course I wished all the customers a Merry Christmas because it's a Christmas activity. Just because I don't want to stop and wish every stranger walking down the street a Merry Christmas doesn't mean I have issues with it. It's just not my thing. Some people get really excited about the season and that's great. So what if I'm not thinking about Christmas 24/7? My life does not revolve around one day of the year. In the same vein, I don't say happy Valentine's Day, either. Because I also feel that it's a stupid way to greet someone. Do you wish everyone a happy President's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Arbor Day, Groundhog Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day as well?

My point about Isreal was not to suggest that they don't understand Christmas, but to put myself in someone else's shoes, to experience something from a different perspective. Some people refuse to try and understand how other people see the world and experience things. My wife works at a bank with a Jewish woman and two Jehovah's Witnesses. None of them celebrate Christmas, and they get really tired of hearing people wish them a Merry Christmas all day. Most Christians living in America don't understand what it means to be a minority or see things from another person's point of view. It's easy to sit back and say, "It's a national holiday. Deal with it." But that doesn't mean it's any easier to have it shoved down your throat every day.

Before you go jumping all over my words, telling me how wrong I am and how I'm a terrible and troubled person, let me first say that this is a discussion. I'm presenting ideas, not necessarily saying whether or not they are right or wrong or even stupid. But I guess that without misinterpretation and overreaction, all message boards would eventually die out.

H

HOUTS

"But I guess that without misinterpretation and overreaction, all message boards would eventually die out."
I read everything you had to say, and addressed in my response; there is no need to quote everything when I summarized it perfectly.
I didn't misrepresent or overract. I quoted, and submitted a rebuttal to your 'feelings', and lack of facts. And what overraction is there when we have people, such as yourself, 'feeling' bad for calling a holiday season as it is-the name it is.

-HOUTS

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
turgy22: Don't be put-off about Hout's responses, it's not personal, he just has an uncanny ability to push people's buttons and likes it. :)
No uncanny ability is needed to be the south end of a north bound mule........ :yawn: