Mark of Eviction

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

U Mark of Eviction Enchantment - Aura (Blue Uncommon)
Enchant creature At the beginning of your upkeep, return enchanted creature and all Auras attached to that creature to their owners' hands.

I think this card is beautiful, and potentially really scary.. at the very least its kind of a wimpy perpetual bounce..

point 1: weak repeated bounce

if they have a creature with any useful activated abilities, mana or otherwise..

they play it, your turn, play mark, their turn tap, your turn bounce..
i think with tallowisp this could get downright ridiculous... with possibly 4 cage of hands/volrath's/ and 4 mark of evictions... it might cost you UUUU every turn.. but it will give your opponent a headache... toss in a rhystic study and you'll be drawing lots..

if you can manage to tap a creature for a single turn, you remove it for another two, netting you time..

what about playing against a scary hunted troll eh? they toss him out early, holding a pyroclasm in hand.. thinking they can pull a fast one on you.. they toss out the troll, but they need 1 more mana to pyroclasm.. your turn you lay the mask... when it comes to their turn.. they can either waste their pyroclasm.. knowing you WILL get 5 1/1 fliers.. or wait till your turn and not even get to attack!

point 2: Ninjas
this card is amazing with ninjas... whats that? you played your last ninja and he has an enchantment that gives him flight? no problem.. get them both back.. when you no longer need to bounce your own, you can bounce theirs.

point 3: come into play creatures,
with the new hunted creatures you can easily pick off 1,2,3,4 of them depending on how patient you are..

Follow in footsteps: say you play your footsteps on a 4/4 which seemed beefy at the time.. only to be replaced by your opponents new 9/14 trampler.. with mark you can undo any bad enchanting mistakes..

basically waiting 1 turn you can reselect ANY enchantment targets..

control magic? clone? confiscate? dance of many?
with this card you can basically go against blue mage thinking and play the first target you see... it kind of allows you to be careless.

point 4: galvanic arc, flights of fancy, any 187 abilities on enchantments

im sure at some point "rogue" players will try to make some godawful 4cc deck trying to exploit the white enchantment,galvanic arc creating a 7cc:deal 3 damage lame combo... but it might work. They might also introduce some crazy auras within the next 2 sets..

I think the more viable would be a blue green saproling/bounce deck..

i think early game would go as follows:

birds/sakura to get up to 3 mana for a kodamas reach

play a fists of ironwood on either your birds, or your sakura if you're desperate...

then play scatter the seeds for 0 or possibly 1(instead of 3GG)

at this point if you were lucky enough to have a cradle in play, you could play saproling symbiosis, echoing courage your tokens for a heap of damage, or toss out doubling season..

you could also use civic wayfinder+mark, or multani's acolyte+mark for more land.

or enchant bramble elemental with fists of iron wood...
giving you 4 saprolings during your upkeep for 1UG.

anyways, i'm rambling now.... what do you all think?

N

Nightstalkers

Yes, it is exceptionally devestating in a U/B deck with the newer stuff. I have personally seen decks built around the idea of using it and the hunted creatures to get early creature advantage and such.

S

sageridder

Circu, Dimir Lobotomist.
How about throwing strands of undeath and the mark of eviction.

O

orgg

Mark is NUTS.

Flat Out Nuts. Don't pass that around, though, and they'll table. :D

N

Nightstalkers

Well, it all works with B/U... A deck based around fielding the hunted creatures, removing the unfortunate side effects of them, and milling your opponents deck and hand.

Great strategy if you can get it to work fast enough.

M

Mikeymike

I'm not sure if you are format specific with this guy, but my response is for Type-1 casual.

I like the Mark too for its cheapness, and will play it. But I'm not crazy that you have to wait until your upkeep for activation. I.e., you can't get rid of a problem creature before it activates. That said, if you could it'd likely be broken.

Compared to a card like Sunken Hope, not sure which is better. The Hope stifles opponent tempo and allows you to combo, but MoE is 5 times cheaper, can target opposing critters, and can combo with other Aura (which will most of the time be a good thing). Different cards for different decks maybe, or quality side-by-side effects.

I'm going to try this guy out with Veldalken Orrey for a cheap bounce engine.

S

sageridder

Well for problem creatures use Faith’s Fetters with the mark,same cost total as sunken hope.It gives you some life as a bonus, sure it takes another slot but neither is a useless card on thier own.

F

Force of Will Smith

heh yeah as i was reading your post i was going to say to try vedalken orrery..

it might help a little.. you can still get hit once with an attacker.. but it would still be a lot quicker..

hell maybe even use ice floe to hold off a creature you previously disabled..

yes... i went there :D

H

Hetemti

I like it with Nekrataal. Second verse, same as the first...

L

Limited

I still can't believe it, but I won two games due to a Veldalken Dismisser / Mark of Eviction combo.. All it takes is a simple creature with some kind of evasion..

F

Force of Will Smith

vedalken dismisser?? i didnt see that in ravnica.. is that just a nickname?

L

Limited

Yeah, it costs a lot.. but it makes your opponent lose a draw which is always good..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, it has some minor tempo and card advantage built into it, but it costs SIX mana.

Look out, I'm dropping a six-mana creature. It's, it's--a 2/2!

For one mana less (and a bit more of a colored mana requirement), you can play Plow Under, which makes your opponent lose two draws. Plow Under is good. This card is bad (in constructed, at least).

D

depolarization

What about Man-o'-War ? Or is this staying strickly ravnica block?

I have to agree with Oversoul. If I have to pay 3 more mana for a man-o-war, why not just pay 2 for a Boomerang...

But are we talking Limited here?

Regardless, mark of eviction is sweet. It has a lot of tricky potential and creates anxiety as it sits there waiting for stuffs...kinda like a cheap flickerform.

I made a fun aura deck that does as much (since I already traded my two flicker forms and nearly all of my ravnica rares for the money rares of the new BOP which I love the art for and Temple Gardens).

F

Force of Will Smith

well since this is the casual players i assume everything is casual unless stated...:D
and boomerang would be worse because its 1 spell.. the idea of using mark is that you bounce multiple targets and re-use the man-o-war.. making the mark a dual purpose card, to enchant your creatures AND your opponents..

i suppose the dismisser could be good to make your soft lock a hard one after you're already bouncing 2 creatures a turn and have 6-7 mana.. possibly running 2 could be pretty hilarious.. and he's better than the hoverguard sweepers that cost like 88.

Ferret

Staff member
Sure, your oponent is losing a draw every turn - but, you're losing SEVEN mana! If your blue deck has that much mana floating around why haven't you won yet?

-Ferret

"...although, those nifty cards that revolved around casting costs of critters might work well with him when..."

O

orgg

Dismisser is a deal-sealer. You wouldn't use more than two in the sixty cards you're playing, but if you get the combo out... well, they arn't drawing another thing, and are stuck with the number of creatures that they currently have...

I highly underrated Dismisser... it ain't as bad as it initially looks. You get a Time Ebb and Grey Ogre in one card... for the same price. Not aggressivly costed, but having had it played against me a few times(and lost because of it a few times), I am glad it wasn't priced more... 'fairly.'