M:tgo ?

T

train

Does anyone here remember the reporting by WOTC that someone had hacked their system and performed illegal trading, but that WOTC was able to undo the damage because they had it backed up???:)

L

Lotus Mox

Yes I do, the affected accounts were shut down and got no message for a while, and they had to wait for one or two weeks before the damage was undone and they could trade again (or even login).

Apparently some1 named God_Gundam (or something like that) used wrong credit card information or a loophole in the online shop (I don't remember what actually happened) and purchased product worth around 10,000$ and gave it away for cheap.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, it doesn't sound like it was hacked, just a loophole in the initial verification process.

T

theorgg

It was Credit Card Fraud.

That's why you now have to be using a credit card that isyour own(at the address registered at).

Make sense? Before, it just wanted name and credit card number... and it didn't have to be your name.

Ferret

Staff member
heh heh heh...I was just waiting for something like this to happen. This is the problem w/ everything being electronic. I might not be able to play online, but at least I know the cards that I have are real and can be held in my grubby little hands...

-Ferret

"...unless it's a proxy..."

T

train

What?!, What are you saying, that proxies aren't real?!!!...

They are! They are real Magic Cards, i swear it!!!:p

M

Mr_Pestilence

Face it, if cyber-terrorists or -crooks can crack the FBI or the Pentagon, I'm pretty sure they can get into WotC's servers.

I just don't think online Magic has much of a future. It may take a couple of years, but I think HasBeen will eventually scrap it.

T

train

I think it would take some major hacking to force HasBeen to scrap it...

They're essentially making money off of "Nothing"!!!... All they have to do is keep selling nothing... It's like buying stocks on margin... there's nothing really there, but you can make so much off of it!;)

So sadly - It will probably be around for years to come...

N

Nightstalkers

Hacking a system is an art that few enjoy..

Like lockpicking, hacking is always frowned upon. We have an operative in a school in Utah that has been repairing their systems since he started his ninth year. The animals. Er... students make the wierdest things happen within the schools mainframe. From junk to gunk, he has done it all.

Put another password in,
Bomb it out, then try again.
Try to get past logging in,
We're hacking, hacking, hacking.

Try his first wife's maiden name,
This is more than just a game.
It's real fun, but just the same,
It's hacking, hacking, hacking.
-- To the tune of "Music, Music, Music?"

T

train

Though not a Hacker, but working in an MIS department, I have a great respect for the art of hacking...

Got Coat?!... and a firewall?!! - hack, hack - you had a firewall....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by train
I think it would take some major hacking to force HasBeen to scrap it...

They're essentially making money off of "Nothing"!!!... All they have to do is keep selling nothing... It's like buying stocks on margin... there's nothing really there, but you can make so much off of it!;)

So sadly - It will probably be around for years to come...
Well, technically they have to pay for the server (I assume) and the technical staff at the very least, so it's not 100% profit...

T

train

I gotcha Spidey...;)

But it's almost pure profit... who knows, maybe they bought their own server system... They had the money, that's for sure...;)

Z

Zadok001

**OFF TOPIC**

http://www.prestonchild.com/sequel/hex.htm

If you've ever heard of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and you're either a hacker or know one, read that. :) It's unfinished, and not exactly a polished bit of writing, but it's really entertaining. (Long, though.)

W

WickedBoy6

Wow, sounded like some serious stuff happened to M:tgo. Good thing I stick to Apprentice. It may not be flashy, but at least it's free, and a LOT harder to hack (then again, with every card at your disposal, what need is there to?).

R

rkoelsch

Wickedboy- glad you are enjoying Apprentice. It works well for a free program. Just be aware there is a program called Backwash(I think) that allows a user too see his library, your library and your hand. This is what killed the tournaments they used to have all the time. That program means nothing if you are playing casual.
There have been no new reports of hacking in MTGO. But there is some problems because they changed the tournament prize structure. But since I only play 8 player draft, league and casual it hasn't affected me.

T

train

Leave it to WOTC...

Addict the world with a substance... and once they're high, screw things around on them...

"Whoa man, what is that???..."
"Looks like a Juzam to me..."
"In your living room, man???..."
"It's part of the interactive M:TGO, it basically lets WOTC right into your home..."
"So what happened to all your Stereos and Televisions and DVD's man???..."
"Whoa, they're all missing???... That Serra that was here last night must've jacked them!..."

W

WickedBoy6

rkoelsch, as long as it doesn't give the person using Backwash the ability to alter his hand or my/his library, I could care less. Even when people ask to play T2 in #apprentice, I'm still only playing a casual game. It just so happens that we're abiding by the DCI's rules of Type 2 play.