Look what I found? - The return of "Atonement"

W

WickedBoy6

Looking through my old posts on CPA, I discovered some homebrew cards I had made up from back in high school to upon this very forum. I decided to look them over, and I Realized how much I miss designing goofy and serious cards. I have a program that actually does designing well, so here's the five cards I posted upon CPA in my past. See what you guys think of them:

R

rokapoke

I think the Megaton Hammer would have to include exiling it (or at least sacrificing it) as part of its activation cost. Otherwise it's a two-turn annihilation of your opponent's board.

W

WickedBoy6

turgy22 said:
How do you play poker with casting costs? Is there a way to match suits?
This was brought up in another thread, and I edited the card to expound a bit more on how you play poker with Magic cards. It's still not perfect, but any more explaining might put the print so fine, no one would play it. I also edited the other cards, due to other flaws people have seen.
rokapoke said:
I think the Megaton Hammer would have to include exiling it (or at least sacrificing it) as part of its activation cost. Otherwise it's a two-turn annihilation of your opponent's board.
Yeah, I could see how that could be a complete shut-out. No one really brought it up. I just figured making it double-X plus some more would offset the destruction. Looks I need more tooling.

Also, I decided to increase Atonement's flavor and add a new cycle: Dictates of the Praetors.

turgy22

Nothing Special
This was brought up in another thread, and I edited the card to expound a bit more on how you play poker with Magic cards. It's still not perfect, but any more explaining might put the print so fine, no one would play it. I also edited the other cards, due to other flaws people have seen.
I notice that you didn't answer my question. I'm assuming you misread it. I just wanted to know how you're supposed to play poker with casting costs. You can expound as much as you like here. I don't need to see it on a card. I just wanted to know what you have in mind.

Also, if it gets too wordy, just make it a keyword. Like "Poker 5" or "Blackjack 2" or "War 1"... which, come to think of it, might already have an equivalent keyword, though the name escapes me at the moment.

W

WickedBoy6

The card expounds on it. It says "Treat converted mana costs as numbers and colors as suits, lands are considered "wild"."

Like, for example: Fireball of the Ages would be "Eight of Red", Paradoxodarap would be "Five of Gold", Megaton Hammer would be "Four of Grey", and so on.

W

WickedBoy6

I've edited the cards to reflect changes here, and another forum, and those changes are reflected on the cards above. I'm also considering doing a cycle of Charms, but honestly, how do you top this one?

Maybe only two choices?

W

WickedBoy6

Aww, that sucks, Spidey. Here, text spoilers just for you. :D

Fireball of the Ages - 6RR - Legendary Creature: Elemental - Rare - 6/3
Trample, Haste. R: Fireball of the Ages gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
It does not know allegiance. It does not know alignment. It only knows how to burn.

Rekop Fiend - 4R - Creatire: Fiend - Rare - 2/3
When Rekop Fiend comes into play, all players reveal the top 5 cards of their library and use those cards to play a hand of 5-card Poker (Treat converted mana costs as numbers and colors as suits, lands are considered “wild”). The player with the best possible hand puts his or her cards into their hand. All other cards are placed into their owner’s graveyards.
Wanna bet?

Paradoxodarap - WUBRG - Legendary Creature: Shapeshifter - Mythic Rare - 0/1
Any Auras that affect the power and/or toughness of Paradoxodarap this turn are destroyed at the end of the turn.Any instants or sorceries that affect the power and/or toughness of Paradoxodarap remain in play and are treated as Auras until Paradoxodarap is removed from the battlefield.

Megaton Hammer - 3 - Legendary Artifact - Rare
XX3, remove Megaton Hammer from the game: Destroy X target non-land permanents in play. They cannot be regenerated. Use this ability only during your turn.
...and that was the last time Roth was told to put the hammer down.

Prismatic Lotus - 1 - Artifact - Rare
Prismatic Lotus comes into play tapped. 1, T, Remove Prismatic Lotus from the game: Add three mana of the color used to activate this ability to your mana pool.
“Something so pristine should never be spoiled.”—Madam Obmulen, Tolarian Botanist

Then, I decided to make Dictates of the Praetors, and spoiled one:

Dictate of Elesh Norn - 2WW - Legendary Enchantment - Rare
Flash. Creatures on the battlefield get +2/-2.
“We shall silence the Hidden and the Whispers, and we will prevail in honoring the Father of Machines.”—Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Finally, possible shard charms, though I may only just have this one:

Hellkite Charm - BRG - Instant - Uncommon
Choose target creature, then choose three - That creature gains deathtouch until end of turn; or that creature gains intimidate until end of turn; or that creature gains first strike until end of turn; or that creature gains haste until end of turn; or that creature gains trample until end of turn; or that creature gains reach until end of turn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I'm not sure if you remember from past Home Made cards, but I'm not really a good judge on what makes or breaks a card. They all sound fine to me :)

W

WickedBoy6

Well, they've all had a few revisions since creation - except Hellkite Charm, still wondering if it should be three or two - but thank you. I should have more in the coming week.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I like this but not the second part:
Paradoxodarap - WUBRG - Legendary Creature: Shapeshifter - Mythic Rare - 0/1
Any Auras that affect the power and/or toughness of Paradoxodarap this turn are destroyed at the end of the turn.Any instants or sorceries that affect the power and/or toughness of Paradoxodarap remain in play and are treated as Auras until Paradoxodarap is removed from the battlefield.

Maybe change it to
At EOT, remove all permanents from the game, who's abilities have effected ~.
Could be only 3 maybe 1WB?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The card expounds on it. It says "Treat converted mana costs as numbers and colors as suits, lands are considered "wild"."
Like, for example: Fireball of the Ages would be "Eight of Red", Paradoxodarap would be "Five of Gold", Megaton Hammer would be "Four of Grey", and so on.
Gold is not a color in Magic, so this would be a problem.