Let's make a deck using Bosh!

R

Reverend Love

Whatcha guys think about the whole lot of us coming up with something using Bosh? Strictly casual of course. Here's a few ideas:

1. Sort of a reanimator type deck using Compulsion, Pyromancy, to discard high casting cost artifacts(think Draco). Goblin Welder (artifact lands), Second Sunrise, Tinker into play, then BLAMO!

2. Wrack our collective minds for some type of infinite combo.

3. Combine his chucking abilities with incredibly synergistic cards like Su-Chi, Junk Diver, Lifeline (woo-woo!), Myr Retriever,..in fact maybe there's some combo to be found here...heeeee :) Mana Echos?

So watcha say, should we give'er a go?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lifeline definitely sounds good.... maybe some way to untap Bosh so he could keep chucking things infinitely...

N

Nightstalkers

Titania's slamming song + Lifetime subscription + Mr. Urza's Armor (and other great hits) + Bash = nasty dmg every turn? (provided you have the mana)

R

Rooser

Well have to March, not sing Songs. Titania's song gets rid of the text on the artifact, thereby rendering something like lifeline little more than a 5/5 for 5.

And I go for the reanimator approach. Don't forget Trash for Treasure!

R

Reverend Love

So what colors you guys wanna make it? Blue and Red come to mind however I'm sure you guys have some interesting suggestions and validations to back it up.

My reasoning for Blue is simple..draw draw draw. If we're going to get "clever" with Bosh we'll need the cards to back him up.

As for Red. No matter what approach we end up taking Red contains some great options for utilizing our artifacts, Shrapnel Explosion, Goblin Welder, the list goes on and on.

Think we should hold a vote for what colors to make it?...If we do it should be limited to two I think as three starts becoming difficult without appropriate duels.

N

Nightstalkers

I agree with the R/U approach because I've had some time to work on my red Blue working saw deck.

Deck out or burn? its your choice after all.

R

Rooser

Yeah, blue/red is the best. That's where all the speed is.

But what about format?

I'm basically thiking between Extended and Type 1, because they each would have their advantages. (Unrestricted Tinker in Extended, most especially).

R

Reverend Love

Unless anyone has some valid objections then we'll continue with a Red/Blue them. After all this is a CPA deck and everyone should have their (justified) voice heard.

I

Istanbul

Splash a bit of white for Hanna, Ship's Navigator?

Hanna, Ship's Navigator (1WU)
Creature - Legend
1WU, T: Return target artifact or enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
1/2

Mmmmm...recursive.

T

Tabasco

I like that idea, Definitely R/U because of tinker and welder

we need red mana acceleration.

The artifact mana should not be too hard to come by, eh??

plus he could always sac himself for eight. That right there ain't too bad

he's kinda like b-shot cyclops, but on crack

so play an artifact, tinker for bosh, find welder?? all you really need is to keep weldering bosh but that isn't as much fun.

chrome mox, tinker it, bosh, bash bosh, welder, rinse, lather, repeat??

R

Rooser

Hanna might be a bit too much. And if we splash a third color it'd probablly be black just because the fetchlands go that way, if you understand my meaning.

Keep it simple: Blue/Red.

We need a way to get artifacts INTO the graveyard more than we need a way to get them out, (Goblin Welder and Trash for Treasure do that quite nicely). If we're going "reanimator/tinker" style then speed is the name of the game, not end-game recursion like hanna.

As for throwing stuff in the graveyard, careful study and breakthrough are good ideas in the absence of entomb and such.

R

Rooser

Chrome mox may or may not work right. Its not as universally good as some people think it is, and if you're looking for a tinker/welder target, we have the artifact lands.

Are we going extended so we can roll with 4 tinkers?

Also, consider the value of Trash for Treasure - It's a one-shot welder that can't be burned.

R

Reverend Love

Well I guess we can start off with a Red/Blue recursive style deck and if something pops up add another color if need be.

I guess the first part would be to decide how we're going to pitch our cards in the graveyard. I like Rooser's suggestion of Careful Study. Feed the hand fresh cards while setting up Bosh.

I like Pyromancy it feeds off the same principle of doing damage based off casting cost like Bosh does and it gets stuff in the graveyard...

However I think Compulsion might be a better choice here. The main factor being we can choose what to pitch.

Also what do you guys think about using Tetravus?

1/1, Flying. ; ~this~ comes into play with three +1/+1 counters on it. ; At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove any number of Tetravites created with ~this~ from the game. For each Tetravite removed this way, put a +1/+1 counter on ~this~. Then you may remove any number of +1/+1 counters from this. For each +1/+1 counter removed this way, put into play a 1/1 Tetravite artifact creature token with flying and with "Tetravite can't be enchanted."
1. Remove all three counters on Tetravus making 3 1/1 flying artifact Tetravite creatures.
2. Chuck Tetravus using Bosh.
3. Welder Tetravus back into play using tetravite token.
4. Rinse cycle repeat.

I looked it up and the Tetravite still remain in play even with Tetravus in the graveyard :)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Would Pentavus work/be easier to get?

If we're using Bosh we can also use some of those Scourge cards that depend on the highest mana cost stuff, as well as stuff with affinity. That does work sort of at cross purposes to the reanimation, but some of the cards in those categories might be useful anyway.
I'm more of an idea man, like.... Lenin. Well, not him.

R

Rooser

We have to understand that getting Bosh on the table quick might be enough to end the game early: he is a 6/7 trampler after all.

Petravus is better than Tetravus in this case, and I like the idea a lot: he gives us recursive fodder for welder/tinker/trash. Another monster that might make the cut is Phyrexian Collossus; he's roughly an 8/8 unblockable, and in a quick game, his drawback plays to your tempo, (You'll kill your opponent with him before he kills you).

It's just too bad we can't play Entomb....

We also might want to come up with a way to give everything haste because...

Reanimate Bosh, swing.
Reanimate Petravus, swing with both, remove a token or two, fling...

Lightning Greaves, Mass Hysteria, and Anger, (Since we're pitching), are good options here. Lightning Greaves might work best because it can feed tinker/trash/welder, and giving our quick fatties untargetability can end the game real quick, (Especially when they have trample or flying or virtual unblockability as each of our proposed fatties do...)

As for natural tinker-trash fodder, the best zero-cost artifacts would probably be Ornithopter and Welding Jar ... Both neo-Moxes result in unfortunate card disadvantage, especially since we're aiming to trash them. Also, the new artifacts lands are a must.

The biggest issue remaining is Pyromancy/Compulsion and how the heck we end up stocking the graveyard.

Pyromancy is too unreliable, and a bit slow, BUT...

Consider the three best options for drawing and pitching:

Careful Study
Compulsion
Breakthrough

If we wanna be consistent, Careful Study and Compulsion are the way to go. Breakthrough is an excellent card, but this isn't a deck that wants to discard a LOT of cards, (Like Bridges and Mass Reanimation), just a few specific ones.

But what if we combined Breakthrough with Pyromancy?

Turn 4 Pyromancy. Turn 5 Breakthrough for 1, Hold on to the highest CC card, then activate pyromancy. It might not quite be worth pitching your hand for, but it sure sounds fun.

Other supporting cards to consider are Shrapnel Blast, and the blue and red Spellbombs.

R

Reverend Love

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Good suggestion with swapping out Tetravus for Pentavus. I'll be honest in the fact that I DESPISE the cost attached to making Pentavites but in the end I think we'll be ok.

Torrent of Fire of comes to mind along with Dispersal Shield and Rush of Knowledge...in fact maybe Rush of Knowledge is good enough to make the cut. What you guys think?

Rush of Knowledge? Since our mana curve is going to be crazy looking (either cheap or expensive) this just might make an excellent addition.

Rooser

I think we'd both like to find a use for Pyromancy here but it's not going to be easy. There's sooo much potential however we'd have to consistently fix our hand holding only fatties to pitch..which is difficult. I'm in mind for a much more consistent approach using Careful Study and Compulsion.

Breakthrough is expensive and too situational to be of good use here. Like you said, we're currently taking a selective pitching approach and Breakthrough is more of a Tolarian Winds style card. Compulsion fits the role of “pitch and dig” too well to pass on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's where I picture the deck standing so far:

Creatures
4 Bosh <----Golem L0rD uF Teh Dekk
4 Pentavus

Recursive/Search
1 Tinker
4 Goblin Welder
4 Trash for Treasure <--- This number might decrease

Draw/Pitch
4 Careful Study
4 Compulsion

Recurse Fodder
4 Great Furnace
4 Seat of Synod

I'm sure everyone's in agreement our recurs fodder should be as cheap and useful as possible. Here's a few of my submissions:

1. Lotus Petal CC: 0
It's acceleration and great for pitching if not needed.

2. Zuran Orb CC: 0
It's just the right price at zero and it's ability could be gaming saving in a pinch

3. Shield Sphere CC: 0
A 0/6 blocker for zero! Yea it get -1 each time it blocks but it's graveyard bound anyways!

4. Phyrexian Walker CC: 0
0/3 Creature..he's good for chump blocking and I hear he can be welded into a 6/7 Trampler by the name of Bosh.

5. Ornithropter CC: 0
Reference #4

6. Pyrite Spellbomb CC: 1
Great card here. Used to deal 2 to an annoying weenie or draw a card. Don't forget it's also lovely Bosh fodder.

7. Sol Ring CC: 1
2 for 1..need I say more?

6. Bonesplitter CC: 1
Maybe if combined with Ornithropter, Phryexian Walker we could get in some weenie beats before pitching for one our heavier hitters.

Here's a opportunity for some of the unloved cheap artifacts you've always liked the chance to see a little play.

We also need to come up with some ideas for filler. I perceive this deck having trouble with horde style opponents. Maybe a little choice quick burn added to fill this hole?

E

EricBess

Has anyone considered Read the Runes for discard? Or even the new blue card that lets to draw three, then discard 2 unless you discard an artifact (which, BTW, will allow you to discard 2 artifacts, if you prefer).

One other thing that no one pointed out with Tetravis and Pentavis, but which makes them very good is that you can always use one of the token artifact creatures to fuel Trash for Treasure or Tinker. Not to mention how insane either of these two cards is with Goblin Welder:

"I'll remove 5 counters, use Bosh to toss Pentavis at your head, then use the Welder to swap one of the counters and get Pentavis back..." seems good to me.