Legends ruling

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think they will say something like "Legendary - Human Wizard" - the Legendary supertype will take the place of Creature and then the subtypes will be the "normal" ones.

T

train

So even though they are "Creatures" they don't seemingly have that "type" printed on the card...

E

Ephraim

No, it looks like they're still printing the word "Creature" on cards. Note today's preview card:

When flipped it is a Legendary Creature -- Rat Shaman

On a side note, it's interesting to see them doing a bit of shuffling when it comes to colour-oriented classes. For a while, blue had wizards, white and black had clerics, and red and green had shaman. They weren't totally exclusive, but those were the rough delineations among the generic "magic users" in each colour.

T

train

so if legendary is a super-type - could it essentially be named as a creature type?...

I haven't seen where "legend" is being removed from valid creature types...
(Though this may be for lack of looking...)

:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not positive but I don't think so... I think the only "valid" creature types are those to the right of the hyphen. I mean, they already have the "Creature" supertype and you can't name it as a creature type (Creature - Creature :) )

E

Ephraim

From the Mistform Ultimus Update:

In today's case, we can report that Mistform Ultimus will actually lose one creature type in the near future -- but the card will still be functionally the same...

So what happens to our pal Mistform Ultimus? The same thing. He will still be a legend, but he will be so in virtue of his new Legendary supertype as opposed to his Legend subtype. His new Oracle text type line will be "Legendary Creature - Illusion." (Of course, the "Illusion" part is still there just for flavor -- he's all the other creature types too.)

E

EricBess

train,

assuming that "Legend" is still a valid creature type (which I do not believe is the case), you have the small issue that the "legend rule" no longer cares about the "Legend" creature type. It now only cares about the "Legendary" supertype.

T

train

so - if legend was still a creature type - then you could have a phyrexian processor with creature type legend, and all the tokens made would live... (according to the new rule only caring about legendary...)

Cool... Hypothetical Magic...

:D

E

Ephraim

Actually, Phyrexian Processor does not allow you to select the creature type of the tokens it generates. They're always Minions. You're thinking of Volrath's Laboratory and Riptide Replicator.

(And now, reading Riptide Replicator, I desperately want to get some of them and pair them up with Energy Chambers and Coretappers)

M

mythosx

Originally posted by train
so - if legend was still a creature type - then you could have a phyrexian processor with creature type legend, and all the tokens made would live... (according to the new rule only caring about legendary...)

Cool... Hypothetical Magic...

:D
Actually no...cuz you can't choose legend as a creature type...its been taken off the list....its no longer a subtype but rather a super type...

M

mythosx

Dang it....I wish they would do a mass errata on the old legends cards...but I guess they aren't going to...It kinda sucks since they arep pushing the tribal thing and many of the old legends which could be great additions to many tribal decks, can't....

M

mythosx

yeah...to guys like Gerrard...he should be at least a human if not a soldier.....