Legends ruling

M

mythosx

What's everyones take on this new ruling of Legendary permenants? My first initial reaction to it was not so good. But I think htat has to do with the fact of being too lazy to adjust.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I don't really play with Legends that much so it barely affects me personally. So when I do, the change probably won't mean as much :)

M

Mikeymike

New Legends ruling? What are you guys talking aboot?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See here from Mark Rosewater's article from last Monday.

420.5e If two or more permanents with the same name have the supertype legendary, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “legend rule.†If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn’t apply.

M

Mikeymike

Wait, so someone can kill my Gaea's Cradle by putting their only Gaea's Cradle in play?

My initial reaction is to not like it. But the more I think about it, it is pretty solid.

Not bad. I can live with it, adds more strategy to Legends while increasing their vulnerability.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, from what I gather, it only applies when they have the supertype Legendary and so far it looks like it's only creatures as they're getting rid of the Creature- Legend type. I think old cards will remain Legend and not be affected.

M

Mikeymike

Aw crap, that means I can't use any COK cards in my Belbe's Portal Legends deck. Oh well.

E

Ephraim

I'm not sure that will be the case, Spiderman. It remains to be seen, but most of the people with whom I've spoken are assuming this templating will affect all permanents, past and present. It might be worth a question with Ask Wizards, though, since there's nothing definite on it, so far.

According to Rune Horvik (lvl. 4 judge), though, the creature type "Legend" is gone from existence, as of the release (prerelease?) of Heroes of Kamigawa.

M

mythosx

ephraim is right. All permenants now will be able to have the Legendary super types. According to spoilers they have legendary enchantments now.

E

EricBess

Creatures were actually the last holdout on that. Other permanents were "legendary <foo>" already. For exaple, "Legendary Land" for Gaea's Cradle. Now that all Creatures received errate to be "Legendary Creature" instead of "Creature - Legend", everything is more consistent.

I feel bad for all those old Legends that now have no creature type :D

Of course, this will likely be the only time Mystform Ultimus actually loses a creature type.

M

mythosx

yeah some of the old creatures may not have creature types...but of course...if what i hope happens happens then they go back and give them all a race, class deal...

C

Chaos Turtle

The only thing that would have been better (gameplay-wise, not flavor-wise) would have been to have the Legend rule affect Legendary cards controlled by the same player.

This is a definite improvement though.

T

train

would have been to have the Legend rule affect Legendary cards controlled by the same player.
As in - all other legendary permanents that player controls are buried?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But that's the whole point of being a "Legend", there's only one, not one on each side. Kinda like the old Enchant Worlds.

I wasn't sure about re-doing the old creatures - I know how WOTC doesn't like to re-Oracle old cards that much (that came up on an Ask Wizards). But it makes sense for this purpose as it affects a game rule...

M

Mikeymike

It was a fun ride since Invasion. Thanks for everything.

I like the new rule though. Will miss the Legend creature type.

T

train

MM - belbe's might actually be errataed tosearch for a "legendary" card...

WoTC doesn't like making cards not work at all - so this might be something you would point out to them...

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by train
MM - belbe's might actually be errataed tosearch for a "legendary" card...

WoTC doesn't like making cards not work at all - so this might be something you would point out to them...
Nah, I doubt they'll do it in the case of the Portal, b/c it doesn't affect Legends persay, it merely affects a selected creature type. Since Legends are no longer a creature type, I'm pooched.

Belbe's Portal

Boo.

T

train

I guess I'm thining about the wrong card...

(thanks for the link to that one...)

I had to look it up - I was thinking of Sisay - but it appears her templating is already correct...

I really thought there was an artifact that did this...(other than belbe's...):rolleyes: