Latest Anti-Blue tech

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, I'd trade a bolt for Mirri any time...

It makes me sad to see people using shock all the time around here...

N

Notepad

Ah, as you can see, there is proof! :D ;)

Counterspell will be that way ina few years, just you see. Even though the cards are common and easy for us oldtimers to get, image the plight of the newbies. They don't have the reach we do, and often get ripped off in trades because of their being new. Us older traders would never trade a good rare for a lightning bolt, or an uncommon for a dark ritual, but if you're desperate for a card that you see is better than you shocks and volcanic hammers, you'll probably do it.

And thus, our wonderful capitalism system at work. Oh the joys.

R

Rooser

This my SeFro impression:

"I hate things! I hate a lot of things."

N

Notepad

Dude, that is wrong. It should be:

"I hate things. I hate everything!" ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Would have worked if Unlimited really had been and they were still printing it...

Oh, sure, we'd have easy access to moxes and all, but that's okay, I like moxes...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't Counterspell's rarity flip-flop during a couple of sets? I know it was uncommon for a couple, like Ice Age...

O

orgg

Counterspell was an uncommon in the basic sets through 4th edition; Ice Age was where it first appeared as common, and it's been that way since then-- Power Sink became uncommon in fifth and then dissappeared, I believe.

As for the old stuff... ~I~ have a difficult time getting Lightning Bolts, and they've been trading for low-to-mid end rares for a while where I've been.

I mean, I'd understand someone giving two Death Pit Offerings for a Bolt... Really, unless you wanted the DPO, who wouldn't rather have a bolt?

Oh, does anyone have a couple of Death Pit Offerings they'd like to let go of? :D

N

Notepad

For some decks the DPO would be better. Like a Thrull deck. ;)

Its silly how some cards go up to silly prices, hence my remark about capitalism. Maybe I should do a "classic stuff giveaway" or something, where the items up for grabs are my piles of spare bolts and rituals or something...

I have a ton of those things, mainly because I built many a plague rat and lightning bolt deck back when folks played totally casual, and 40-card decks with one or two total different cards were not rare. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's cool. This one guy I know lost basically all of his countermagic cards that were any good. He still had some stuff like counterspells from Starter or something, but he lost a LOT of cards and I don't know if he ever found them again. Good thing he'd already traded his Force of Wills to me...

N

Notepad

How in the world does somebody lose so many good cards? :eek: Were they stolen or destroyed or something?

R

Rooser

You guys seem to be missing something crucial:

Kyle: I cast Wrath of God.
Joe: I'll counter it.
Kyle: I'll Last Word your counter.
Joe: Cool. I'll just cast another counter spell targetting the Wrath of God.
Kyle: D'oh!

This, ironically, isn't anti-blue tech. It doesn't win any counterspell wars, it just stops them from happening in the first place.

Like this:

Kyle: I'll cast Wrath of God.
Joe: I'll Last Word.
Kyle: I'll counter ... D'oh!

Conclusion: Last Word only really means anything if its targeting a non-counterspell, thus, its not really anti-blue tech, it's just more blue tech.

D

Darius099

Rooser, I was going to point out that exact fact. The card is basically an oddity, certainly not worthy of any sort of notice as anti-blue tech.

It simply (as I think was insinuated) won't see much play.

If you're talking card value, you want to talk regions.

A bolt is worth .55 here. Thats paltry. Even less than a normal uncommon.

However, while I was up north (Northern Michigan, that is) it was higher, up to $1.50 ea.

It's truly regional.

On the subject of trading up and down in value, it's personal.

If I need a Lightning Bolt 5 minutes before a tournament, I'll trade up for it. If I need a Bolt and I can't find one at a store, I'll trade up for it. If I can find one at a store, I won't.

Again, personal choice. It's not really an 'ethics' or 'smarts' discussion, it varies from person to person.

~Darius099

T

train

However, while I was up north (Northern Michigan, that is) it was higher, up to $1.50 ea.
Like I said - 4 sold for 5.50 on Ebay... didn't matter to me where they were going - just that they were going...;)

On Last word - it isn't too bad... just needs to be run with medallions...

And it is no different than any counter before it - they could always go back and target the original spell...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What deck would you actually use this thing in though? I mean, there's just too much that's already better...

N

Notepad

Only good if your casual metagame runs a lot of counterspells. This way you can get around it. Otherwise, you're better off with a totally different spell.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If your casual metagame runs a lot of counterspells and you're saving enough mana to play this thing, probably a bad idea, I don't know...

I mean, it depends on the decklist clearly. But you're not going to use this to counter a counterspell hopefully. You're going to use it to counter a Time Spiral played by an opponent with Force of Will in hand maybe...

It looks too situational still. An oddity at best, I think...